2008-2009 Habs Training Camp

KoZed

What choice? HW is just a bunch of average guys who put together a site. Most of the guys who founded the site were college age students who now have jobs and can't go to daytime events such as training camp. None of our contributors in the Montreal area were able to make it this year. We can't just decide to send someone to practices, this is a volunteer operation. If nobody can go, then nobody can go. No decision was ever made not to cover training camp, it just happened.

Apparently Latendresse is much, much faster this year but I didn't get to see him for myself (just came from the Habs practice in Pierrefonds).

I didn't see any call going out to members for pictures, information, or hell, even attempts at articles. Just because a bunch of average guys running the site can't get to practice doesn't mean there aren't other average guys that can (or in this case with BTH, slightly below average guys that can.)

I just think that having nothing, not even a training camp preview, is costing HW some hits.

Edited by Trizzak

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was Carey in scrimmage, anybody see the scrimmage?

from cyberpresse.ca

Price solide

Carey Price a bien joué dans le camp des «blancs», ayant repoussé les 11 tirs des «rouges». Le jeune gardien de 21 ans semblait très alerte devant son filet. Il est d'ailleurs plus léger, ce qui devrait l'aider au cours de la saison.

playing a game for the white team, carey stopped 11 shotsé he looked really alert in front of his net.

What choice? HW is just a bunch of average guys who put together a site. Most of the guys who founded the site were college age students who now have jobs and can't go to daytime events such as training camp. None of our contributors in the Montreal area were able to make it this year. We can't just decide to send someone to practices, this is a volunteer operation. If nobody can go, then nobody can go. No decision was ever made not to cover training camp, it just happened.

The site's awesome... I don't think everyone realizes how much work you guys put in... Not to worry, you're appreciated by most of us :)

Actually, that DOES make me feel a bit better!

Can you guys believe that Grabovski started training camp in TO as the centre for their FIRST line!!!! :blink:

I still think that Grabs is going to be good player, but the trade--a prospect and eventually Lang for TO's 2nd rounder, was/is awesome. There was no space for young Mikail here so I'm glad Bob got a decent return for a player we had no use for.

I still think that Grabs is going to be good player, but the trade--a prospect and eventually Lang for TO's 2nd rounder, was/is awesome. There was no space for young Mikail here so I'm glad Bob got a decent return for a player we had no use for.

Oh, I totally agree. It's not that I think Grabs won't turn out well, it's that he didnt' fit with us. We already had too many small, fast centres... Also, I was a bit worried about his attitude (taking off last year on his own...)

For me, the situation we're in now is much much better...

And the fact that he's playing on TO's first line but we had no room for him just speaks to our depth and how they're essentially depleted. I hope he does well though, and I wish him all the best..

Oh, I totally agree. It's not that I think Grabs won't turn out well, it's that he didnt' fit with us. We already had too many small, fast centres... Also, I was a bit worried about his attitude (taking off last year on his own...)

For me, the situation we're in now is much much better...

And the fact that he's playing on TO's first line but we had no room for him just speaks to our depth and how they're essentially depleted. I hope he does well though, and I wish him all the best..

He'll do well. We all might get jealous too. Just like some do about Ribs. The truth is Grabs was looking like a small dominant player in the AHL. Wasn't he going on some crazy record breaking streaks? Like 6 goals and six assists in 3 games and stuff. There is a lot of talent there and in T.O he will get the ice time to make it happen. It wasn't going to happen in Montreal, too much traffic on the top lines. Besides, after the play-offs I think we realized we have scoring, we have speed, We need toughness. We went and got it, now more than ever NO ROOM FOR GRABS!!!.

I know all you guys know this stuff but I guess I'mm telling myself this stuff so when I see Grabs deke out an entire team on a highlight reel and score his 25th goal of the season this year or next I'll have to remember it wasn't going to happen in Montreal. I do love his little bursts of speed though, teamed up with some talented big wingers he could do really, really well.

'

O.K. Got that off my chest.

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh Screw him! He's just a shitty little Leaf now, and no matter how well he does he can rot in hell, because he sucks the big one.' ^_^

:clap:

Nicely put

He'll do well. We all might get jealous too. Just like some do about Ribs. The truth is Grabs was looking like a small dominant player in the AHL. Wasn't he going on some crazy record breaking streaks? Like 6 goals and six assists in 3 games and stuff. There is a lot of talent there and in T.O he will get the ice time to make it happen. It wasn't going to happen in Montreal, too much traffic on the top lines. Besides, after the play-offs I think we realized we have scoring, we have speed, We need toughness. We went and got it, now more than ever NO ROOM FOR GRABS!!!.

There's a big difference between Grabovski and Ribeiro in the sense that Ribeiro was given every possible chance to suceed in Montreal, including as a number 1 centre when Koivu was injured, but he unfortunately always failed us. All we ever gave Grabovski was a few games here and there, without ever giving him time to properly adjust or even develop any kind of chemistry with his linemates.

Seeing a guy emerge as a better player after we gave him many opportunities is one thing (although I'm still not convinced that Ribeiro is that good, especially not after watching him being the good old Ribeiro in the playoffs, nor would I ever acquire him if I were a GM), but watching a skilled prospect emerge with a rival team when he was not given much of an opportunity is another.

Of course, our situation was a lot different back when Ribeiro was given so many chances... he probably wouldn't get much of an opportunity today either if he were a questionable prospect again...

There's a big difference between Grabovski and Ribeiro in the sense that Ribeiro was given every possible chance to suceed in Montreal, including as a number 1 centre when Koivu was injured, but he unfortunately always failed us.

Finishing as the top scorer on your team at the age of 23 is what you call a "failure"?

There's a big difference between Grabovski and Ribeiro in the sense that Ribeiro was given every possible chance to suceed in Montreal, including as a number 1 centre when Koivu was injured, but he unfortunately always failed us. All we ever gave Grabovski was a few games here and there, without ever giving him time to properly adjust or even develop any kind of chemistry with his linemates.

Seeing a guy emerge as a better player after we gave him many opportunities is one thing (although I'm still not convinced that Ribeiro is that good, especially not after watching him being the good old Ribeiro in the playoffs, nor would I ever acquire him if I were a GM), but watching a skilled prospect emerge with a rival team when he was not given much of an opportunity is another.

Of course, our situation was a lot different back when Ribeiro was given so many chances... he probably wouldn't get much of an opportunity today either if he were a questionable prospect again...

Ribs answered the call in 03-04 when Koivu went down with a 65 pts season in 3rd season (but his first full year), though he faded late in the season like, oh, about 80% of young players who have a breakout season and suddenly become the focus of the other team's defense.

Then the year after was the lockout, then back from the lock-out in 06-07 he had a disastrous first half of the season, but when Ribs was put on a line with Kovy late in the season he again emerged as top forward.

The next season he was traded.

So you're stretching it by a mile when you try to portrait Ribeiro as a kid who had "so many chances" but failed us. He was a player who progressed slowly and had to be pushed; but he progressed constantly: his improved his speed, improved his strength, improved his consistency, improved his defensive game, improved his attitude on and off the ice. Maybe not as rapidly and radically as most would have liked, but the progress was always there nevertheless.

I remember writing a friggin' long post last summer to defend Ribs against all the gratuitous hate that was thrown his way. Ribeiro's 83 pts season last year was highly predictable with anyone who had two brain cells to rub together. That upside was there from the day he was drafted. He always had the talent to do it and made constant progress that showed he was getting there. The only thing that would have prevented him from doing so in a Habs jersey was all the distractions in Montreal (medias, family, friends, fans), he had to change environment to focus on his game.

I dont really miss him, I prefer low key, speedy 2-way players like Plex much better. But to pretend that Ribs had exhausted all his chances in Montreal and to try to paint it as Gainey having no other choices but to dump Ribs for next to nothing is a load of bull. Edmonton got Woywitka, a 1st rounder (that turned out to be Rob Schremp) and a 3rd rounder out of Mike Comrie who was basically in a similar situation as Ribs. Gainey just got totaly fleeced by Dallas in that trade. Period.

Ribs answered the call in 03-04 when Koivu went down with a 65 pts season in 3rd season (but his first full year), though he faded late in the season like, oh, about 80% of young players who have a breakout season and suddenly become the focus of the other team's defense.

Then the year after was the lockout, then back from the lock-out in 06-07 he had a disastrous first half of the season, but when Ribs was put on a line with Kovy late in the season he again emerged as top forward.

So you're stretching it by a mile when you try to portrait Ribeiro as a kid who had "so many chances" but failed us. He was a player who progressed slowly and had to be pushed; but he progressed constantly: his improved his speed, improved his strength, improved his consistency, improved his defensive game, improved his attitude on and off the ice. Maybe not as rapidly and radically as most would have liked, but the progress was always there nevertheless.

I remember writing a friggin' long post last summer to defend Ribs against all the gratuitous hate that was thrown his way. Ribeiro's 83 pts season last year was highly predictable with anyone who had two brain cells to rub together. That upside was there from the day he was drafted. He always had the talent to do it and made constant progress that showed he was getting there. The only thing that would have prevented him from doing so in a Habs jersey was all the distractions in Montreal (medias, family, friends, fans), he had to change environment to focus on his game.

I dont really miss him, I prefer low key, speedy 2-way players like Plex much better. But to pretend that Ribs had exhausted all his chances in Montreal and to try to paint it as Gainey having no other choices but to dump Ribs for next to nothing is a load of bull. Edmonton got Woywitka, a 1st rounder (that turned out to be Rob Schremp) and a 3rd rounder out of Mike Comrie who was basically in a similar situation as Ribs. Gainey just got totaly fleeced by Dallas in that trade. Period.

Amen.

I never said Mike Ribeiro was a mediocre player who couldn't put up points in the NHL. On the contrary I've always said that Ribeiro has terrific vision and elite passing skills that are almost at Joe Thornton's level, who's arguably the best playmaker in the NHL today.

However, although that might be enough to put up a respectable number of points (and last year a great number thanks to the amazing chemistry that he developped with Morrow), that's about all he brings to the table, and to me he's never become a quality centre that we could rely on. He's always going to have his share of hot streaks, but even last year he's had a few cold streaks where he was again that passive, uninspired, and nearly invisible Ribeiro we've seen in Montreal. In the playoffs, although he looked a little bit more present that he was in Montreal, I saw pretty much the same Ribeiro that wouldn't make the extra effort or sacrifice to help his team.

Every time the pressure was on, he failed us, whether when asked to step up and take over part of Koivu's share of responsibilities, or in the playoffs where he completely disappeared. And it's not like Joe Thornton who's playing great hockey, constantly setting up his teammates, but just can't seem to be a game breaker for the Sharks in the playoffs, Ribeiro didn't even look like he was trying, and just seemed to give up. With any kind of support from the second line against the Lightning in 2003, we probably could have made it to the semi-finals while even Garth Murray outplayed Ribeiro against the Hurricanes in 2005.

Some people criticized Plekanec last spring for his performances in the playoffs, and it is true he wasn't nearly as effective as in the regular season, but at least he looked like he was trying. He may not be as skilled offensively as Ribeiro, and he's becoming increasingly overrated by Montreal fans, but he's a much better overall player than Ribeiro was, and you never have to worry about sending him on the ice, no matter what situation the team is in; I too prefer having Plekanec, although I don't want him to sign long term for 5+ millions and become our number 1 centre, that would be a big mistake in my opinion.

I also agree with you that Bob Gainey got srewed in that trade, however I doubt that Ribeiro had anywhere near as much value as Mike Comrie when he was traded. I think with some luck we might have received a 2nd or 3rd rounder in return, if Gainey had offered his services to more than one team (I think other GMs mentionned they had some interest).

Are we whining about Ribeiro again?

Jesus. Addition by subtraction. Remember him flopping like a fish on the ice against Boston? He's a classless punk who had no place with the Montreal Canadiens. This is a club with tradition and class. Ribeiro was the poster boy for Ultimate Punk. Good riddance. I could care less how many points he puts on the board, he was a distraction, a locker room divisor, and a blight on the Canadiens.

I would have paid someone to take him. The minute he was gone Montreal was a better team. And they proved it even though they were "fleeced" in the deal. I suspect Brenden Morrow beat the living crap out of him the moment he landed in Dallas and told him that if he pulled any of that !!!! down there, he'd be toast.

Yes, it's happening again. I also saw a Perezhogen posting.

I also think it's funny people are posting about Grabovski being the number 1 centre, how can the Habs let him go. I don't think hge is nearly that good, he has incredible speed but that's about all i've seen from him.

Time will tell on him. I beleive BG, GC and Timmins know what there doing.

Look, I agree with 90% of what you wrote.

I thought Ribs was going to be the next Gretzky with

his playmaking ability.

The problem with him was that certain members of the

media seem to have their own agenda. He's was raised

in certain circles to heights he had not yet achieved. It

seems to happen here, especially with certain players

born in Quebec. Some players believe the propaganda,

others are wise enought to see through it.

I know people in the bar scene in Montreal that told me

that during the lockout he was seen doing drugs. These

are people I trust, but to me all the events that followed

make sense. And you can be sure if I heard about his

partying that the Habs knew also.

There were certain events that Ribs was involved in and

people he was hanging around with that must have made

Habs upper management uneasy. Add to that that certain

members of the media were trying to create a Koivu vs

Ribs controversy that continues to this day. This is not

what you want when you are trying to build a team.

I would think trading Ribs to Dallas was done with the

young mans best interests at heart. You can be sure

that the Stars upper management was aware they could

be getting a problem. It was a gamble on their part, but

they needed offence. Now, the return seems to make

more sense doesn't it?

In Dallas Ribs would have to clean up his act, I'm sure

that was pointed out to him. The fact he did means he

should be applauded. But, I'm sure he's had help that

we may never know about.

All this makes me have hope for Latendresse, another

young Quebec kid that although lauded in certain media

circles in smart enough to realize he's not all that. :clap:

For those bringing up ex-Habs... I'll keep this simple. Would you rather have a team comprised of the current edition of the Habs, or one of all the ex-Habs floating around the professional ranks?

For the first time in a long time, the answer to that question should be unaninmous in the right direction: this current team beats the group of ex-Habs. No ifs, ands or buts.

For those bringing up ex-Habs... I'll keep this simple. Would you rather have a team comprised of the current edition of the Habs, or one of all the ex-Habs floating around the professional ranks?

For the first time in a long time, the answer to that question should be unaninmous in the right direction: this current team beats the group of ex-Habs. No ifs, ands or buts.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:^_^

That's pretty much what I was trying to say about Grabs. He's good and he will do well in T.O and many here will be jealous. The truth is we shouldn't be, we have no room for his kind of player and then Ribs comes into the picture in other posts. I, like you, love the current addition of the Habs.........

That's pretty much what I was trying to say about Grabs. He's good and he will do well in T.O and many here will be jealous. The truth is we shouldn't be, we have no room for his kind of player and then Ribs comes into the picture in other posts. I, like you, love the current addition of the Habs.........

Sorry, I didn't mean for this to go into this kind of discussion. I agree that Grabovski just doesn't have a spot on our roster, and he knew that and is why he wanted out of Montreal (which was fair enough, especially since Carbonneau gave better opportunities to a mediocre forward like Dandeneault...clearly Grabs wasn't Carbo's type). I just said that I don't like to see intriguing prospects leave without being given a fair chance, and I made a parallel that in Mike Ribeiro's case, at least he was given every possible chance to succeed (heck we even acquired his good buddy from the juniors to make him happy). He was given several chances, he showed us what he was made of, and whether they were right or wrong the organization made an informed decision about his future as a habs.