2008-2009 Habs Training Camp

KoZed

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is gonna stay until the end of the camp, considering these injuries?? the other injured players are day to day.

Koivu, Laraque, Hammer.

centre : Maxwell, Chipchura

Wings : MaxPac, Stewart

Defense : Weber, Valentenko (undeserved)

Carbonneau doesn't seem to like Trotter at all, so I guess he'll be amongst the first cuts this week. As a matter of fact, seeing how stubborn Carbonneau is once he forms an opinion about a player (see Perezhogin), we'll probably never see him with the Canadiens (not that I ever had much hopes for him).

All the junior players will probably be sent back at this point, so that should leave our starting Montreal roster plus your list of Hamilton-bound players (ex. Chipchura, Pacioretty, etc), and perhaps, because of injuries, a couple guys like Desharnais and Belle.

As for Valentenko, I wouldn't say it's undeserved as he played solid hockey for the Bulldogs last season, and is giving a great level of effort. He's just lacking a little of his synchronism right now, probably due to self-confidence. Also, I don't understand why he's always paired with guys like Belle and Henry during games while an established veteran like Bouillon was playing with Komisarek; I though last game we should have placed Valentenko next to K-Rex to help boost his confidence, stabilize his game, and so that he could learn from our best big, hard-hitting defenseman.

Just remember how mediocre J-P Côté first was when he called him up a couple years ago, but how much better he looked playing alongside Komisarek for a few games.

Edited by CerebusClone

18 players were cut today :

Goalies:

Cédrick Desjardins

Loïc Lacasse

Dmen :

Pavel Valentenko

Shawn Belle

Chad Anderson

P.K. Subban

Forwards :

Brock Trotter

Ryan White

James Wyman

David Desharnais

Mike Glumac

Olivier Latendresse

Thomas Beauregard

Yanick Lehoux

Mathieu Aubin

Ryan Flinn

Ryan Russell

Olivier Fortier

That leaves Yannick Weber, Mathieu Carle, Ben Maxwell, Max Pacioretty, Gregory Stewart and Matt D'Agostini with the team.

Perfect !

Trotter's not doomed, he's simply not ready yet. Maxwell has vastly outperformed him. Trotter is quite young, if he shows promise, he'll get another shot.

Weber and Maxwell are this year's camp revelations. Not surprised in Weber's case, but Maxwell having so few junior games is definitely a pleasant surprise, especially given the fact that he's at a position of concern.

I don't think you can cut players who have been diagnosed with a concussion until they are cleared to play, so that's why Carle is still on the roster.

Trotter's not doomed, he's simply not ready yet. Maxwell has vastly outperformed him. Trotter is quite young, if he shows promise, he'll get another shot.

Weber and Maxwell are this year's camp revelations. Not surprised in Weber's case, but Maxwell having so few junior games is definitely a pleasant surprise, especially given the fact that he's at a position of concern.

I don't think you can cut players who have been diagnosed with a concussion until they are cleared to play, so that's why Carle is still on the roster.

I would say Weber and Max Pac are the real revelations. Maxwell showed some good stuff, but Pac was just amazing.

IN today's LaPresse, Carbonneau said that Trotter had disappointed him during training camp, and that was why we didn't see much of him. Carbonneau found him to be a bit on the lazy side during camp! BY the way, did you guys know that Trotter had been expelled from the University of Denver!?

18 players were cut today :

Goalies:

Cédrick Desjardins

Loïc Lacasse

Dmen :

Pavel Valentenko

Shawn Belle

Chad Anderson

P.K. Subban

Forwards :

Brock Trotter

Ryan White

James Wyman

David Desharnais

Mike Glumac

Olivier Latendresse

Thomas Beauregard

Yanick Lehoux

Mathieu Aubin

Ryan Flinn

Ryan Russell

Olivier Fortier

That leaves Yannick Weber, Mathieu Carle, Ben Maxwell, Max Pacioretty, Gregory Stewart and Matt D'Agostini with the team.

Perfect !

and Chipchura!

IN today's LaPresse, Carbonneau said that Trotter had disappointed him during training camp, and that was why we didn't see much of him. Carbonneau found him to be a bit on the lazy side during camp! BY the way, did you guys know that Trotter had been expelled from the University of Denver!?

Expelled/flunked out. After some initial rumours leaked out, the general story about him appears to be that he didn't maintain the academic standards required of being on the hockey team. When that happens, your scholarship is no longer valid, and you end up out of college. Expelled isn't quite the right word for that. I'm sure if he came back to them and wanted to get his degree he could get put on academic probation.

Perhaps it was laziness that crept up here at camp, but one camp does not make or break a career when you've already got a professional contract. It was Brock's first NHL camp, as I don't think he had even attended a rookie camp before this summer, so he obviously didn't know what was expected of him. It's important for him to learn from this, work his butt off in the minors, and earns himself another look at camp next year. If he learns what is expected of him as a professional, then his talent (which, since he was signed by this staff, he presumably does possess) should become more apparent.

Expelled/flunked out. After some initial rumours leaked out, the general story about him appears to be that he didn't maintain the academic standards required of being on the hockey team. When that happens, your scholarship is no longer valid, and you end up out of college. Expelled isn't quite the right word for that. I'm sure if he came back to them and wanted to get his degree he could get put on academic probation.

Yeah, there are plenty of options for athletes who are ineligible. They can pay their way for the next semester to get their grades back up and get back on the team. If they can't afford that, they can go home, take classes at a cheaper school and then transfer back when your grades are good enough. Or in his case, he decided to go pro. Football players tend to be the ones to exercise the first two options, as their are no minor leagues for the NFL. In the case of hockey players, it obviously makes the most sense to go pro. They can make a living playing a game and go back to school later in life, if they so choose.

So if he just didn't have the grades for the team, that's not a huge deal. If he completely failed out of school, that's when you've gotta question a guy's character. It's bad enough being ineligible when you've got all kinds of resources at your disposal. It's a whole other thing if you fail completely out of school with those resources.

latest 3 to be cut, after last night's game: Denis, Max Pac, and Weber... Still hope for Chips then? or no?

There's still hope, but I think we need to send one more down to make the roster limit.

latest 3 to be cut, after last night's game: Denis, Max Pac, and Weber... Still hope for Chips then? or no?

Yes, but he would really have to shine to take a spot which he hasn't done. Chips himself knows the writing is on the wall. In his own words he stated if you look at who's easier to send down him or Laps regarding contracts and the waiver wire his chances didn't look good. Hopefully he'll keep working hard and wait for an injury. It's all he can do.

From what i have heard and read, Chip remains with the big club until we have our 13 skaters in the 4 lines ready. We dont know the state of Laraque yet. But it's only a matter of time i guess. I still like Chip personally i think he makes better plays than Lapierre, he definitely plays smarter than Lapierre in my mind.

Partisan

From what i have heard and read, Chip remains with the big club until we have our 13 skaters in the 4 lines ready. We dont know the state of Laraque yet. But it's only a matter of time i guess. I still like Chip personally i think he makes better plays than Lapierre, he definitely plays smarter than Lapierre in my mind.

Partisan

I think Laps fits a 4th line role better than Chips. Also, if Chips is just gunna be sitting in the press box once in a while then he will fair better in Hamilton as a Line 1 or Line 2 centre.

I think Laps fits a 4th line role better than Chips. Also, if Chips is just gunna be sitting in the press box once in a while then he will fair better in Hamilton as a Line 1 or Line 2 centre.

Chips needs to be in Montreal.

Dandy needs to GO.

Chips needs to be in Montreal.

Dandy needs to GO.

So so true... why do we have to pick between Lappy and Chips when the two are young and going to be part of this team for a long time while we have someone who would have been moved long ago if not for his God-awful contract on the team? Keep them both and waive Dandy, if he isn't picked up, so what? swallow the salary and cut the ties. He's taking up a valuable spot that just doesn't need to be his. and the argument that he's good as a 13th forward/7th d? Maybe, but they're both better, and younger, and have more upside and future.

Dandenault's pretty irrelevant when it comes to Chipchura. Dandenault will probably be gone either way (as soon as everyone gets healthy, I bet) and Chipchura will be off the team either way. It's Begin, Laraque, Lapierre and Kostopoulos who are clogging up the 4th line and stopping Chipchura from having a spot. We'd need two of them to go to be able to play Chipchura - and that would mean no Pacioretty. It looks like Chipchura will have to wait another full year (next year a whole lot of salaries are wiped off the books, including Begin and Kostopoulos).

26 players, 4 are currently injured and at least questionable for Game 1:

C: Plekanec, Koivu, Lang, Lapierre, Chipchura

RW: Kovalev, Tanguay, S Kostitsyn, Kostopolous

LW: A Kostitsyn, Higgins, Latendresse, Begin

D: Markov, Komisarek, Hamrlik, Gorges, O'Byrne, Brisebois, Dandenault

G: Price, Halak

Inj: Bouillon (D), Laraque (RW), Carle (D), Henry (D/W)

When Carle and Henry get healthy, they'll be sent to Hamilton. Bouillon and Laraque will obviously make the team. When all that happens, there will be 24 players on the active roster. So one more move has to be made.

As long as one player is injured, no moves have to be made and Chipchura is on the team.

EDIT: Henry was waived today on his way down to Hamilton.

Edited by saskhab

26 players, 4 are currently injured and at least questionable for Game 1:

C: Plekanec, Koivu, Lang, Lapierre, Chipchura

RW: Kovalev, Tanguay, S Kostitsyn, Kostopolous

LW: A Kostitsyn, Higgins, Latendresse, Begin

D: Markov, Komisarek, Hamrlik, Gorges, O'Byrne, Brisebois, Dandenault

G: Price, Halak

Inj: Bouillon (D), Laraque (RW), Carle (D), Henry (D/W)

When Carle and Henry get healthy, they'll be sent to Hamilton. Bouillon and Laraque will obviously make the team. When all that happens, there will be 24 players on the active roster. So one more move has to be made.

As long as one player is injured, no moves have to be made and Chipchura is on the team.

EDIT: Henry was waived today on his way down to Hamilton.

Dandy, Please Please Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaase let it be Dandy...

Any update on Carle?

It's a concussion. Probably staying in Montreal for observation, and there might be league rules preventing players from being sent to the AHL until they are deemed fit to play. I know Montreal has some of the best doctors in regards to concussions in North America... Lindros always went to Montreal for observation.

The team hasn't released a timeline on Carle, though. They're being incredibly tight lipped about all injuries right now, since the league said teams didn't have to disclose injuries to the media starting this season.

The team hasn't released a timeline on Carle, though. They're being incredibly tight lipped about all injuries right now, since the league said teams didn't have to disclose injuries to the media starting this season.

Is that just for preseaon, or will they be tight-lipped for the whole season?

Anyway, thx for info

Is that just for preseaon, or will they be tight-lipped for the whole season?

Anyway, thx for info

Whole year. Gainey said he'd try and give timelines for injuries but will be pretty consistent in not revealing an injury if it's suspect to being re-injured upon return (i.e. opponents targeting the area when player returns). Concussions I think still have to be disclosed. It's a very sticky issue on concussions and there's a standardized procedure which accompanies them.