Carbonneau says he has his line-up 95% completed already

shortcat1

In an video interview on rds.ca, Guy Carbonneau says he's got his lines (trios) already made up and his line-up is about 95% complete.

The point of this topic is not a rehash of the lines (I'm guessing basically same line-ups as last year, I imagine except for slotting in Tanguay, Laraque and that 5% person(s)) but who is perceived as having a shot of making the team.

The big thing about this comment is that not likely many (if any) new kids'll make the team - at least on opening night.

I'm guessing that Bouillon, Dandenault, Brisebois and any others (Kostopoulos?) that many have been saying will be gone will, in fact, be back with the team.

Whatcha think?

GO :hlogo: GO!

I only see chipchura as the only rookie cracking up the lineup or being the regular call up.

yup. Exactly. That's basically what Bob said early in the off-season (not that others wouldn't make the team but that it was Chipper's to lose)

I know they said it was chippers to lose but I also wonder if they are toying with the idea of Pacioretty playing in the NHL as well.

I know he isn't a centre, but maybe thats why Carbo said he's considering using/converting S. Kostitsyn to centre. I don't think anyone anticipated "Paches" being this ready.

I think the one young player that could be on the roster is still very wide open.

Even with a very strong camp I would prefer we send Pacioretty down to Hamilton. We have a full lineup, he has things to learn at the profesionnal level, so why rush him? With the Bulldogs, he'll likely be on the first line, with a lot of powerplay time, and will have a lot of responsibilties despite the fact that he's only a rookie... that's a lot better for his development than getting bumped from one line to another, sometimes hardly playing 7-8 minutes, and mostly playing the role of a grinder.

I wasn't suggesting he should make the team.....

But if he out plays others for that spot then so be it. That is the chance you take and the brass would be fools for not giving the chance if he earns it. You can't blame everyone for Latendresse being like he is.

He would learn 5 times as much playing 7-8 mins per game for a few months at the NHL level then he would in a full season on the farm.

I think this means he has the entire line-up set but isn't sure whether it'll be Sundin or Chipchura.

yup. Exactly. That's basically what Bob said early in the off-season (not that others wouldn't make the team but that it was Chipper's to lose)

Nice to see you're back. :clap:

God, I hope it's Sundin...if not right away then at least later.

If "that guy" doesn't start the season in Montreal, I'm not sure I'd want him at all!

Edited by Habsfan

I think this means he has the entire line-up set but isn't sure whether it'll be Sundin or Chipchura.

Nice to see you're back. :clap:

Thanks BTH... Busy summer... work, marriage, etc... Now that there's hockey to talk about again, I'm here again...

I'm often apprehensive when coaches say stuff like that. It can be a motivation for guys who see themselves as being on the bubble, but it can also lead some to not play as hard because they know that the spots aren't there going into camp. I just hope that even if he's 95% sure of his line-up, he's not closing the door on guys who might shine at camp, above the ones Guy's pencilled in already.

I'm often apprehensive when coaches say stuff like that. It can be a motivation for guys who see themselves as being on the bubble, but it can also lead some to not play as hard because they know that the spots aren't there going into camp. I just hope that even if he's 95% sure of his line-up, he's not closing the door on guys who might shine at camp, above the ones Guy's pencilled in already.

Can also have the opposite effect, players can go in and tell themselves "I'll prove him wrong"... Either way, nobody knows what lineup Carbo has in mind anyway. And 95%, that's the same as saying there's 2 spots open. Could it be any different, really?