The Official NFL Thread

jetsniper

It was inevitable as soon as it came out they went after Cassell. Trying to replace a 26 year old QB who just had a Pro-Bowl season is a huge slap in the face and this is one of the few times I sided with a player demanding a trade.

McDaniels could be the first NFL coach whose legacy was established before he even coached a game.

Agreed... He was the wrong choice anyways. Would have been much easier to find a new coach instead of new QB.

I may be in the minority here, but I actually like this trade from the Broncos end. They give up a solid QB no doubt, but Cutler wasn't perfect, certainly prone to turnovers, often at a bad time. That is the exact OPPOSITE style that Belicheck type coaches (McDaniels) included avoid. They get a serviceable guy to hold the reigns in what is likely a rebuilding year now, and then a HUGE return. To get two first round picks, a 3rd and a starting QB for a guy who everyone knew was being traded and a 5th is highway robbery. The Bears better hope that Cutler leads them to the superbowl otherwise this is going to end up being devastatingly bad for their franchise long term.

It was inevitable as soon as it came out they went after Cassell. Trying to replace a 26 year old QB who just had a Pro-Bowl season is a huge slap in the face and this is one of the few times I sided with a player demanding a trade.

McDaniels could be the first NFL coach whose legacy was established before he even coached a game.

What were the Broncos supposed to do? Tell the Patriots to never contact them? The "trade" was approached by Belichik going out to his former pupils. Yeah, I can see siding with all of the Habs rumored to be traded. Higgins didn't sit down, pout, demand a trade, and then disappear from his team. And Cutler as a pro-bowler shoulda never happened. He had a first good, what, 5-6 games, then was tepid at best. I'm not a Broncos fan and won't be, but even with Cutler, I say good riddance!

:o

Does this mean the Bears will be something? I used to love the Bears!

Nope. Still got Adrian Peterson and the Minnesota Vikings to contend with.

Did Cutler not realize what he was getting into when he decided to become a pro athlete? Trade talks and rumours are going to happen. Deal with it.

Did Cutler not realize what he was getting into when he decided to become a pro athlete? Trade talks and rumours are going to happen. Deal with it.

The man just made the Pro Bowl, there's no way in hell his job should have ever been in jeopardy.

I may be in the minority here, but I actually like this trade from the Broncos end. They give up a solid QB no doubt, but Cutler wasn't perfect, certainly prone to turnovers, often at a bad time. That is the exact OPPOSITE style that Belicheck type coaches (McDaniels) included avoid. They get a serviceable guy to hold the reigns in what is likely a rebuilding year now, and then a HUGE return. To get two first round picks, a 3rd and a starting QB for a guy who everyone knew was being traded and a 5th is highway robbery. The Bears better hope that Cutler leads them to the superbowl otherwise this is going to end up being devastatingly bad for their franchise long term.

That is very true and those draft picks will definatly help out our defense (now that Shanny isn't drafting the D). The only thing that won us some games last year was our aerial attack. I'd be expecting a top 5 pick next year. It will be heartbreaking to see the Oakland Raiders ahead of us in the standings.

The man just made the Pro Bowl, there's no way in hell his job should have ever been in jeopardy.

Seriously? Do I have to come up with a list of all star players who have been dealt in the past?

No one is untouchable, Cutler needs to learn this.

Seriously? Do I have to come up with a list of all star players who have been dealt in the past?

No one is untouchable, Cutler needs to learn this.

The Broncos had been looking for a franchise QB ever since Elway retired. They finally draft and develop one and then try to replace him? It's completely absurd. You don't try to go behind the back of your 26 year old franchise QB to try and bring in another guy. It's not like the guy came out of nowhere to put up a good season like Derek Anderson in '07 or had off the field issues. Cutler is a young stud and his status in Denver should never have been doubted. Only a fool would come to a team with a QB like Cutler and try to replace him.

The Broncos had been looking for a franchise QB ever since Elway retired. They finally draft and develop one and then try to replace him? It's completely absurd. You don't try to go behind the back of your 26 year old franchise QB to try and bring in another guy. It's not like the guy came out of nowhere to put up a good season like Derek Anderson in '07 or had off the field issues. Cutler is a young stud and his status in Denver should never have been doubted. Only a fool would come to a team with a QB like Cutler and try to replace him.

I'm not going to deny it is a bad move for Denver, but I'm sure McDaniels expected that Cutler would show a little bit of maturity. No one can be bigger than the team and that's the type of attitude Cutler showed by refusing to reconcile after he was "slighted".

I'm not going to deny it is a bad move for Denver, but I'm sure McDaniels expected that Cutler would show a little bit of maturity. No one can be bigger than the team and that's the type of attitude Cutler showed by refusing to reconcile after he was "slighted".

I think the biggest foul on the side of the Broncos was how they went about the whole thing. Jay was essentially told the offensive staff would remain intact, and that didn't happen. Then he had to hear the trade rumors from TV instead of management. The way the Redskins handled the situation with Campbell was how players should be treated. They let him know what was going on and were up front with him. If McDaniels had come to Cutler and said he liked him, but knew Cassell better and would like to work with him as his #1 choice, I think this whole situation could have been avoided. It still would have been ridiculous, but the trust issue wouldn't have broken down as far as it did. If there isn't trust between a coach and a staff, you're not going to have success. I think the Broncos pretty much had to do this as soon as that trust was broken.

That being said, the Broncos got a hell of a deal for him. I think Orton is a good enough QB to have some success in their new system and all the picks will surely help them reshape their defense.

So glad the Jets decided not to pony up for Cutler, don't need someone with that kind of attitude on the team. Especially considering the Broncos wanted Revis or Harris included in the deal. Yikes.

Anyway, to keep NFL discussion going, the draft is only a few weeks away, who does everyone want their team to take a look at? I've got 5 names for the Jets, in order of preference.

1. Tyson Jackson (I'm hopeful but he won't be there at 17)

2. Darius Heyward-Bey

3. Percy Harvin

4. Chris Wells

5. Josh Freeman

Freeman might be higher if he didn't scream up the charts out of nowhere. Guys like that scare the crap out of me, not all of them turn out like Joe Flaaco.

Our biggest weakness is probably RT. I wouldn't mind getting a WR either though after losing out on Housh.

I haven't looked too closely into the draft but William Beatty or Eben Britton would be good to fill that need at OT. Childress doesn't really believe in drafting WRs in the first round, so I kind of doubt we go that route.

Are you expecting Sanchez to be off the board by number 17 jets? He seems to be impressing in workouts but previously it looked like he might slip in the middle part of the first round.

Our biggest weakness is probably RT. I wouldn't mind getting a WR either though after losing out on Housh.

I haven't looked too closely into the draft but William Beatty or Eben Britton would be good to fill that need at OT. Childress doesn't really believe in drafting WRs in the first round, so I kind of doubt we go that route.

Are you expecting Sanchez to be off the board by number 17 jets? He seems to be impressing in workouts but previously it looked like he might slip in the middle part of the first round.

I wasn't originally but now I think Stafford will go to the Lions with the first pick and then the Broncos will either take Sanchez at 12 or move up if they don't think he'll be there at 12. Jacksonville and San Fran are two other teams I think will grab Sanchez before he comes close to us. I'm not even considering him at this point.

Another guy I forgot to mention is Moreno. With TJ throwing his hissy fit over a new contract, drafting a RB in the first round wouldn't be a bad idea, thats why I like Beanie too. The only problem with the top RB prospects this year is none of them are strong, workhorse type guys and I think thats more the kind of back Ryan would like to add.

I wasn't originally but now I think Stafford will go to the Lions with the first pick and then the Broncos will either take Sanchez at 12 or move up if they don't think he'll be there at 12. Jacksonville and San Fran are two other teams I think will grab Sanchez before he comes close to us. I'm not even considering him at this point.

Another guy I forgot to mention is Moreno. With TJ throwing his hissy fit over a new contract, drafting a RB in the first round wouldn't be a bad idea, thats why I like Beanie too. The only problem with the top RB prospects this year is none of them are strong, workhorse type guys and I think thats more the kind of back Ryan would like to add.

Broncos won't take Sanchez IMO. The deal with McD is that he thinks he can get a lot out of a mediocre QB. Orton is the definition of mediocre. I figure both of the first picks will be used on defense ILB, DT/NT or CB.

Just did my own mock, I think it's fairly close with a few drops here and there.

1. Detroit - Matthew Stafford

2. St.Louis - Jason Smith

3. Kansas City - Aaron Curry

4. Seattle - Eugene Monroe

5. Cleveland - Brian Orakpo

6. Cincinnati - Andre Smith

7. Oakland - Michael Crabtree

8. Jacksonville - Jeremy Maclin

9. Green Bay - Aaron Maybin

10. San Francisco - Mark Sanchez

11. Buffalo - Everette Brown

12. Denver - B.J Raji

13. Washington - Tyson Jackson

14. New Orleans - Malcolm Jenkins

15. Houston - Rey Maualuga

16. San Diego - Percy Harvin

17. New York Jets - Darius Heyward-Bey

18. Denver - Vontae Davis

19. Tampa Bay - Josh Freeman

20. Detroit - James Lauranitis

21. Philadelphia - Brandon Pettigrew

22. Minnesota - Michael Oher

23. New England - Clay Matthews

24. Atlanta - Peria Jerry

25. Miami - Robert Ayers

26. Baltimore - Brian Cushing

27. Indianapolis - Hakeem Nicks

28. Philadelphia - Chris Wells

29. New York Giants - Eben Britton

30. Tennessee Titans - Evander Hood

31. Arizona Cardinals - Knowshon Moreno

32. Pittsburgh Steelers - Alex Mack

Just did my own mock, I think it's fairly close with a few drops here and there.

12. Denver - B.J Raji

18. Denver - Vontae Davis

Good pick for needs for the Broncos. But I think the Broncos would take one of Lauranitis or Cushing with the 2nd pick.

Good pick for needs for the Broncos. But I think the Broncos would take one of Lauranitis or Cushing with the 2nd pick.

Well you've still got Williams as a young linebacker and with Bly getting released, I thought having someone opposite Bailey would be better. Bailey isn't getting any younger either, plus I just liked the potential of Davis compared to any of the linebackers left.

If anyone screws up my draft, it's going to be Ayers. I feel like I left him on the board too long so if he goes to a team early (and I've seen predictions landing him in Cleveland or Buffalo) then thats really gonna screw things up.

Well you've still got Williams as a young linebacker and with Bly getting released, I thought having someone opposite Bailey would be better. Bailey isn't getting any younger either, plus I just liked the potential of Davis compared to any of the linebackers left.

If anyone screws up my draft, it's going to be Ayers. I feel like I left him on the board too long so if he goes to a team early (and I've seen predictions landing him in Cleveland or Buffalo) then thats really gonna screw things up.

It's true a CB is a need for the Broncos but unless they can land Jenkins I see them going LB. We need 4 LBs. B. Bailey is crap, Williams is great, Dumervil might do well as a rush backer. We need a ILB to play with Williams.

Well Cushing plays on the outside so you'd probably prefer Laurinaitis. I remember drooling over Laurinaitis a few years ago but now linebacker is probably the Jets' strongest position so theres really no need. At one point he was considered to be a top 5 pick too so whoever gets him is gonna be lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

So obviously I've had to revise my mock a few times over the last couple of weeks. I'm starting to get sick of it and have decided I don't like doing mock drafts. This is probably version 5.0. Sanchez especially has pissed me off because I don't know where to place him. He's going to go in the top 10 but only if the Rams take him will it make sense to me. I decided to follow the rumors and gave him to Seattle even though they should take Monroe IMO.

Thats right, I don't even agree with where I placed some guys. I'm following rumors on a lot of picks. So I won't be surprised if I'm completely wrong. Anyway, heres my final version, obviously Stafford has signed with the Lions but I included that anyway.

1. Detroit - Matthew Stafford

2. St.Louis - Jason Smith

3. Kansas City - Aaron Curry

4. Seattle - Mark Sanchez

5. Cleveland - Brian Orakpo

6. Cincinnati - Eugene Monroe

7. Oakland - Jeremy Maclin

8. Jacksonville - Tyson Jackson

9. Green Bay - Aaron Maybin

10. San Francisco - Michael Crabtree

11. Buffalo - Andre Smith

12. Denver - B.J Raji

13. Washington - Josh Freeman

14. New Orleans - Robert Ayers

15. Houston - Malcolm Jenkins

16. San Diego - Rey Maualuga

17. New York Jets - Percy Harvin

18. Denver - Brian Cushing

19. Tampa Bay - Peria Jerry

20. Detroit - Michael Oher

21. Philadelphia - Knowshon Moreno

22. Minnesota - Eben Britton

23. New England - James Lauranitis

24. Atlanta - Evander Hood

25. Miami - Everette Brown

26. Baltimore - Darius Heyward-Bey

27. Indianapolis - Hakeem Nicks

28. Buffalo - Clay Matthews

29. New York Giants - Kenny Britt

30. Tennessee Titans - Vontae Davis

31. Arizona Cardinals - Chris Wells

32. Pittsburgh Steelers - Alex Mack

Wow. There you go Mike......

Sanchez is a Jet. Excellent pick.

The Jets trade up to 5th overall with Cleveland and take Mark Sanchez!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow. There you go Mike......

Sanchez is a Jet. Excellent pick.

I went nuts.

Cleveland gets Coleman, Ratliff, Elam plus our 1st and 2nd round picks. Thats a big price but worth it IMO. Wish we could've hung on to our 2nd round pick and taken Louis Murphy.

Edited by jetsniper

:lol: Oakland just screwed up their pick.

DHB over Crabtree/Maclin???

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

Not really surprising. Good old Al Davis. :P

:lol:

Not really surprising. Good old Al Davis. :P

I can't believe Jets fans are complaining we gave up too much

Coleman? Fringe starter

Ratliff and Elam? Backups. Elam had some marginal potential but it was doubtful he'd amount to much, plus we added Leonhard.

1st? We got a 1st back. Duh

2nd. This is the only thing that sucks to lose but it's the price you pay to move up 12 spots.

I can't even believe Washington couldn't top that offer. It probably helps those are all Mangini guys though, he brought in a lot of them through UFA as well.

I really liked the Chiefs reaching for Jackson, I've been high on him for a while now and he should be a great player. Seattle was probably just as happy to have Curry fall to them.

Jags just took Eugene Monroe.

And now it looks like Raji is a Packer.

Edited by jetsniper