The Official NFL Thread

jetsniper

If anyone watched the game last night and seen the hit in the Pittsburg quarterback, can they tell me by sabermetrics how much that that hit affected the outcome of the game?

I didn't see the game but on the sabermetrics point, I don't think it gets used all that much in the NFL. That's weird given how prominent of a league it is and how hard it can be to get an edge.

To the point--- At the very least Ross-berger entered that information into his processing (thinking). I would argue that it might be enough to delay the timing of that processing, much like you would send a trailer into a preceived out (baseball play) so the cut off guy has to consider the out as opposed to the runner scoring . Jamming up the computer if you will! In hockey, I see a guy like Murray who was maligned because of his foot speed (and rightfully so); but could set the tone with a hard check. My point is that that hit on the Pittsburg quarterback was instumental in the final result. I do not see sabermetrics ever defining the value of a hit, and consequently the true value of a player delivering the hit.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What in the world was Seattle thinking passing on 2nd and goal from the 1/2 yard line? You've got three chances, 30 seconds, and Marshawn Lynch. That play call is going to go down in infamy.

What a game though, best Super Bowl that I can remember for a long time.

What in the world was Seattle thinking passing on 2nd and goal from the 1/2 yard line? You've got three chances, 30 seconds, and Marshawn Lynch. That play call is going to go down in infamy.

What a game though, best Super Bowl that I can remember for a long time.

Me too. Would have liked to have seen Brady tackled for touchback and a free kick--- that would have been a wild finish! Huge error taking that offside penalty, at end, by Seattle

As much as I would love to blame Pete Carroll, that was on Russell Wilson. They didn't have time to run the ball three times, so there was going to have to be a pass at some point. They tried to spread the field and NE didn't go for it, so he wisely checked out of the run. With two more tries from inside a yard, you can't try forcing it like that. And for the record, the Seahawks were only 1 for 5 on the season running in that situation. People seem to think that running Marshawn Lynch was a sure thing.

As much as I would love to blame Pete Carroll, that was on Russell Wilson. They didn't have time to run the ball three times, so there was going to have to be a pass at some point. They tried to spread the field and NE didn't go for it, so he wisely checked out of the run. With two more tries from inside a yard, you can't try forcing it like that. And for the record, the Seahawks were only 1 for 5 on the season running in that situation. People seem to think that running Marshawn Lynch was a sure thing.

They took their time on starting the 2nd down play with the clock running. If they go with a bit more hustle, I think they'd have had time for three plays, especially with them having a timeout. Even at two attempts, I like his odds of gaining a foot on each attempt which would have done it.

You're right to put some of the blame on Wilson though. He easily could have thrown it away instead of forcing the pass into a tight space.

They took their time on starting the 2nd down play with the clock running. If they go with a bit more hustle, I think they'd have had time for three plays, especially with them having a timeout. Even at two attempts, I like his odds of gaining a foot on each attempt which would have done it.

You're right to put some of the blame on Wilson though. He easily could have thrown it away instead of forcing the pass into a tight space.

At the same time, they couldn't score too fast or they give the Pats as much time as the Hawks had to get their TD at the end of the first half. I still don't mind the pass, but the play definitely should have been something safer. At least go play action and throw something that only your guy can catch.

I just find it fascinating that QBs get eviscerated all the time by analysts, but I've heard almost no criticism directed towards WIlson for this play, or even for his terrible performance in the NFC Championship.

• 1 month later...

Admittedly I don't follow the NFL postseason as closely as I do the other three major sports (I find out most of the changes when I buy my Fantasy Football guide a few weeks before the fantasy draft) but there seems to be a lot more movement than usual. I'm quite intrigued by what Philly is doing.

Admittedly I don't follow the NFL postseason as closely as I do the other three major sports (I find out most of the changes when I buy my Fantasy Football guide a few weeks before the fantasy draft) but there seems to be a lot more movement than usual. I'm quite intrigued by what Philly is doing.

I didn't follow NFL for the past years, got back into it last season only. But was told by friends that we don't usually see that many superstars moving during the offseason.

• 1 month later...

I didn't think anything significant would come of last week's 'deflate-gate' report that said the Patriots and Tom Brady were probably guilty. Turns out I was wrong as Brady was suspended for four games (forfeiting $2 M in salary as a result) while the team was fined $1 M while losing their 2016 1st and a 2017 4th rounder. The appeals process on this will be quite interesting to follow.

I didn't think anything significant would come of last week's 'deflate-gate' report that said the Patriots and Tom Brady were probably guilty. Turns out I was wrong as Brady was suspended for four games (forfeiting $2 M in salary as a result) while the team was fined $1 M while losing their 2016 1st and a 2017 4th rounder. The appeals process on this will be quite interesting to follow.

The billion Boston Facebook posts on my news feed must have been premature. Bruins fans aren't all bad when you consider the smug Patriots' crowd or the yuppies of Fenway. For all I follow of football, I thought Deflategate was dead and buried.

• 1 month later...

So what did we learn this past 4th of July weekend? Fireworks and NFL players do not get along.

Tampa CB C.J. Wilson apparently lost two fingers in a firework accident over the weekend while Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul suffered a hand injury that has reportedly required one of his fingers to be amputated (which will speed up the recovery process, apparently). How long until we have no-fireworks clauses in contracts?

• 1 month later...

While there are often fights in training camp (particularly early on), having a returning defensive player sucker punch the starting quarterback in the locker room is a new one. That happened today with the Jets and now Geno Smith will miss the start of the season. (That might not seem like much of a loss until you realize that Ryan Fitzpatrick is next in line.) Wow.

http://www.tsn.ca/sucker-punch-from-teammate-breaks-jets-qb-smith-s-jaw-1.344095

Guest Stogey24

And now Buffalo picks up buddy that punched Geno. They should have let Enemkpali rot for a bit. This isn't the first time he's lost his shit on someone #Popo

• 3 weeks later...

hahaha I intend to pick on waivers the team that plays the Browns every week if available. If not, the ones who will face the Titans or the Skins.

• 2 weeks later...

It helps when Pittsburgh's coverage on him was next to non-existent on a few of his catches.

Pitts defense was horrible. Brady started a play for a touchdown where NO ONE was watching Gronk along the sideline.

Once, they were 10 defensive players on a GOAL LINE play !!!

Shame on the Steelers defense yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance we see RGIII ending up in Dallas ?

Romo's still their guy going forward and Griffin has an awfully expensive contract for next year - over $16.1 million guaranteed. I suppose Dallas could trade for him solely as a rental but their offence isn't geared towards someone like him anyway. On the other hand, Jerry Jones is addicted to big name players.

• 5 weeks later...

Romo's still their guy going forward and Griffin has an awfully expensive contract for next year - over $16.1 million guaranteed. I suppose Dallas could trade for him solely as a rental but their offence isn't geared towards someone like him anyway. On the other hand, Jerry Jones is addicted to big name players.

The 16.1 million is not guaranteed.

It only becomes guaranteed if RGIII is injured. If it is purely performance based, you can cut him (Hence why there is almost 0 chance the Redskins will play him this year).