The Official NFL Thread

jetsniper

I think we are going to see some expensive packages to move up in the 2nd round. There are some first round talents sitting there.

Jimmy Clausen

Colt McCoy

Toby Gerhart

Arrelious Benn

Golden Tate

Terrence Cody

Sergio Kindle

Navaro Bowman

Taylor Mays

Vladimir Ducasse

The Broncos need to land a C or LG in the second round.

I'm a bit iffy on the Spiller pick. Clearly he's an elite talent, guy runs a 4.3 40 and had 51 TDs in college. Many scouts compare him to Chris Johnson, expect (if you can believe this) a little bit faster. The bills wanted a playmaker and certainly got it.

My concern is that RB wasn't really a draft need. They needed help at OT, NT, QB, WR, OLB and DE and instead went with a position where they have a good starter and backup already. Lynch apparently wants to be traded but he has no trade value right now. I wouldn't be shocked to see them keep Lynch and Jackson and use Spiller in a Leon Washington role at first, change of pace guy, split him out wide on passing downs, return kicks and punts.

I'm hoping the bills can grab an OT this round, Saffold would be nice, or a NT like Cody.

BTW, talking about draft ratings, looks like the primetime move was a successful one: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ime-time-draft/

I'll be curious to see what the 2nd/3rd round ratings are.

My 49ers selected Anthony Davis with 11th pick and Mike Iupati with the 17th pick.

I don't know NCAA players at all. Are they any good ?

My 49ers selected Anthony Davis with 11th pick and Mike Iupati with the 17th pick.

Offensive lineman are largely unknown, aside from the mock draft nuts and fans of the colleges they played at.

BTW, talking about draft ratings, looks like the primetime move was a successful one: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ime-time-draft/

I just don't get it. People would rather skip their regular Thursday shows to watch something they don't even normally watch on a lazy Saturday afternoon when they can sit around and drink all day?

Davis: Great pass blocker, so-so run blocker

Iupati: Huge, nasty run blocker. Unlimited potential, should be able to play guard or tackle.

Overall, both guys have loads of potential, should both be good picks. Wouldn't be surprised to see either in a Pro Bowl.

I just don't get it. People would rather skip their regular Thursday shows to watch something they don't even normally watch on a lazy Saturday afternoon when they can sit around and drink all day?

No, I get the 1st round. A weeknight should still have more people in front of a TV compared to a weekend afternoon. I was flipping back and forth between commercials myself.

If the 2nd/3rd round sees an improvement though, I might die a little inside.

Davis: Great pass blocker, so-so run blocker

Iupati: Huge, nasty run blocker. Unlimited potential, should be able to play guard or tackle.

Overall, both guys have loads of potential, should both be good picks. Wouldn't be surprised to see either in a Pro Bowl.

Nice. Thanks Jets.

No, I get the 1st round. A weeknight should still have more people in front of a TV compared to a weekend afternoon. I was flipping back and forth between commercials myself.

If the 2nd/3rd round sees an improvement though, I might die a little inside.

Yeah, weekend afternoon is not for tv. It is for spending time with kids (if you have some), going outside, work in the garden, grocery shopping, cleaning the house, etc. All we got here on tv on weekend afternoons are 1984 movies, commercial infopub, church mess and Buffalo-Boston matchups. :lol:

Yeah, weekend afternoon is not for tv. It is for spending time with kids (if you have some), going outside, work in the garden, grocery shopping, cleaning the house, etc. All we got here on tv on weekend afternoons are 1984 movies, commercial infopub, church mess and Buffalo-Boston matchups. :lol:

That's exactly what I mean, though. There is nothing to compete with, so even though fewer people are in front of the TV, a much higher percentage of those people will watch on a Saturday afternoon with nothing else to watch. Football fans are already conditioned to be in front of the TV on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. I mean, it's the only Saturday during the entire off-season when they have football to watch!

That's exactly what I mean, though. There is nothing to compete with, so even though fewer people are in front of the TV, a much higher percentage of those people will watch on a Saturday afternoon with nothing else to watch. Football fans are already conditioned to be in front of the TV on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. I mean, it's the only Saturday during the entire off-season when they have football to watch!

Get off the tv in the afternoon and move, you fat Americans !! :P

Seriously though, and this is for another thread, more and more people these days spend most of their time at work sitting in front of a computer all week long. Coming home in the evening, they take care of the kids, have them do their homeworks, cook, watch tv and go to sleep. In the weekends, they have friends over in the evening for a good time, visit their family, party hard and/or watch sport or major tv shows. Weekend afternoon is almost the only remaining time of the week for people to move their ass and do some physical activities. Replace all the tv time on weekend afternoons by organised or friendly sports/walk/danse class/etc and we'd live in a much more healty world. In fact, tv should be banned until 5pm on the weekends, NFL or not, and especially on saturday when you have one full day off to "recover" from your physical activity.

Edited by JoeLassister

I would put good money down that tonight's 2nd/3rd round ratings FAR exceed the ratings for similar rounds in past years. It wont be as high as last night for round one, but i think they numbers will surprise you.

I know i'll be watching.

I would put good money down that tonight's 2nd/3rd round ratings FAR exceed the ratings for similar rounds in past years. It wont be as high as last night for round one, but i think they numbers will surprise you.

I know i'll be watching.

Why will so many more people watch on a Friday night than a Saturday night? Both are sinkholes for TV viewership. I guess maybe the fact that people won't be burnt out from watching boring coverage for 4 hours immediately preceding it will help. The draft has almost become unwatchable. Jon Gruden loves everybody, Mel Kiper can't understand why nobody is picking so-and-so, endless talk about nothing. And now they're even ruining the suspense. They've panned to people on the phone in past years, but it got ridiculous this year. You knew almost every pick before it happened. Sometimes they even flashed the guy's name before Goodell actually announced it.

especially on saturday when you have one full day off to "recover" from your physical activity.

Exactly, that's what Saturday is all about for a lot of people, recovering from a tireless and stressful work week.

I don't get the ESPN coverage much here, but I've really enjoyed watching the NFL network coverage. For my money, Mike Mayock is the best draft analyst in the business.

I don't get the ESPN coverage much here, but I've really enjoyed watching the NFL network coverage. For my money, Mike Mayock is the best draft analyst in the business.

I watched part of the NFL Network coverage last night as well; the only complaint was knowing who was taking who well before the pick was announced. I think at one point, we knew who was going 22nd before the 21st pick had even been announced. Takes away the suspense, especially for someone like me who doesn't follow the NFL draft enough to really get into it. At least it didn't drag on like in recent years which was nice.

Gotta love Belichick. Stockpiling picks is fun but I hate getting all excited just to have the pick traded away. :P

Jets take Vlad Ducasse in the 2nd round. Again, decent pick but not addressing our needs. We need a pass rusher and Everson Griffin was still there. Looks to be a bad sign for Faneca as theres rumors he could traded or cut.

Although Griffin is still there so I'm hoping the Jets can trade up to get him.

Lots of Gators are gone in the early rounds, a good draft for them. I was surprised Cunningham went before Dunlap. The Belichick/Meyer friendship was pretty evident with the Pats taking two Gators in the 2nd round, one of them being Brandon Spikes. Spikes is gonna be fearsome, sucks to see him in the division (ala Channing Crowder). Still interested to see who picks up Riley Cooper.

What the Broncos are doing this draft is actually really working out in my mind.

Demaryius Thomas

Tim Tebow

Zane Beadles

J.D Walton

Eric Decker

I'd like to welcome the Spread to Denver.

Tim Tebow shot gun.... Thomas out wide, Decker opposite with Gaffney and Royal in the slot.

And with our big new O-Line Moreno should be able to run wild and if while in the spread Tebow doesn't like the look he can run it for a first down.

Now I admit this vision is a season or two in the future but I'm excited.

Ps. has anyone seen Tebows girlfriend.... he must have super powers to still be celibate.

So the Jets have traded Leon Washington to Seattle. I get not wanting to deal with his crap and I get drafting a RB to replace him. But why did we waste two of our picks on RBs?

Signing over-the-hill Jason Taylor means we don't need a pass rusher at all?

Oh wait, jetsblog says John "Follow my block if you want to live" Conner is a FB. Ok, that makes some more sense since Tony Richardson is about 89 years old. Still though, some youth on the d-line would've been nice. And now Everson Griffen and Ricky Sapp are gone. Still not liking the Jets draft.

Also looks like Alan Faneca will definitely be released, supposedly on Monday.

EDIT: Nevermind, Schefter is reporting Faneca has just been released now.

Edited by jetsniper

The Raiders have done quite well for their standards. However, I guess as long as JaFatass Russell is there, we'll still get a good 1st next year.

I wouldn't disagree that Campbell takes the starter spot but this is the Raiders we're talking about. :D