I hate the Official (fill in the blank) threads!

I think we need to change something here on Habsworld.

We have way too many Official blank threads, such as the official UFA signings thread, or the official XBox Thread, or the official elections thread. I find that a lot of important topics that people want to talk about get lost like this.

Take the UFA thread for example. Marian Hossa signing with the Red Wings was huge. The NHL's best team just signed an arguably top 15 Forward in the league who has 100 pt. potential. Yet it wasn't given the chance to be properly discussed. Having 1 giant thread with all the UFA signings means ppl have to scroll through page after page and have to read through 5-6 discussions at the same time.

I understand why we have a permanant rumour thread. There are to many rumours that would flood the site. But i doubt that we need to group everything else together. If anything, maybe we could make more sub Forums or something.

Using the UFA thread as an example, it's a matter of dealing with repeat threads. It's freaking annoying to have each signing posted in its own thread by multiple people and trying to keep track of which ones need merging and which ones don't. It's a lot more convenient to merge them into a unified thread than to keep track of which signings have already been posted and which ones haven't. UFA season used to be an absolute mess on the boards.

It also makes a nice central place to look for information. I find the 360 and Wii threads particularly useful. I also particularly liked having the Habs signing info in a single thread. The first post had all the information in one place, very useful.

I don't think it would be that hard to keep track of signings. People will only really post on a signing for a week. After that, the thread gets neglected and moves to the bottom of the list. And we have mods so that we can remove or merge repetitive topics.

Also, the only time of year that we may have an issue with Signings and trades is July first and deadline day. For the rest of the year, it simply discourages posting as for the most part, these mega-threads seem to encourage conversations between only a few people.

Also, let's say that half way through the year, i want to talk about how the Hossa siging affected the Wings either negatively or Positively. Am i to post it in the UFA thread, in the middle of another topic so that it can be ignored? The simple solution would to just search the initial thread and post it there.

I actually tend to agree with Markie. Merging or deleting repeat threads makes sense, but there is often no need to make all encompassing threads. The term 'official' could also use retiring.

But would it be an "Official" retirement or a Sundin retirement? ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: Right now in the lounge, the top 5 threads are :

Official Upcoming Election Thread

The Official CFL Thread

The Official Warhammer thread

Met Wolski

Official HW funny pictures thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...