Habs acquire Robert Lang and re-sign Brisebois

Peter Puck

Of course Sundin would had been better, but you cant wait forever and the price was very cheap, so I like this move. I assume this is basically a 1yr rental tough since they're is no way we can afford to keep everyone.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the 3rd line will get much more points then ever with Tender - Lang - Sergei. That lineup can be a major source of confusion for the opponent

coach.

I agree with you Joe.... I just hope Carbo figures out how to use him right

Why not Lang with Kovalev? I believe those two along with Straka were a unit on the Penguins back in the day, during Kovalev's best season.

A.Kost-Lang-Kovalev

Tanguay-Koivu-S.Kost

Higgins-Plekanec-Tender

Laraque-Laps-Kosto

Either way, we are officially 3 lines DEEP.

I like Lang with Kovalev, but I see it shaking out like this, taking advantage of existing chemistry:

Tanguay-Lang-Kovalev

Kost-Pleks-Kost

Higgins-Koivu-Latendresse

Laraque-Lapierre-Kosto/Begin

If we compare to last year roster, we basically traded Ryder for Tanguay, Smolinski for Lang and added Laraque / lost Streit.

Not bad, not bad at all.

I feel srangely calm about these moves, wise move

before training camp.

Picking up Lang is what contenders do when they

are going for the cup. Filling a need.

I'm also ok with Brisebois , depending on what he

makes. Anyone know?

To bad for Chips, but he's probably our first callup

when an injury hits.

Dandenault needs to go. He's redundant at both

forward and D. And, we'll want that cap space.

Adding Lang means we have approx 2.5M in cap

space, trade Dandenault and that increases to

near 4.3M, minus Brisebois .

We can go with a 22 man roster now, the rest of

the depth is in Hamilton. :hlogo:

w0w. Great news really.

Its been along time since the Habs have had a 3rd line Ceter capable of getting 20+ goals/yr. When was the last time that happned? 93? ;)

Right now this looks great to me. Way better than it would have been picking up Brad Richards at last years trade deadline anyway. With Lang Bob didnt have to give up 1/2 the team. Sure Richards is better, but not 1/2 the teams prospects better. Not to mention the savings on the cap between them.

Sure I would have prefered Sundin but he has had plenty of time to come to a decision and has yet to decide so you just have to move forward regardless.

Lang also adds something else the Habs desperately need: right handed shot.

I don't think this means the end of Sundin, as I believe he'll sign here in middle of the season.

It's over, man, just let it go. We're here for you.

Quoted from a poster on hf.

I like. Montreal is going to use Plekanec and Koivu against top lines, not Lang. Lang is really the "second-line" centre. Koivu is more the third-line centre, but he is the Rod Brind-Amour type third-line centre -- he's not out there just to check.

Like I usually do, I went on behindthenet.ca to view his even-strength performance. Like Tanguay, I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. Lang has a fairly neutral quality of competition metric -- he was a second-line centre, basically -- but he does have a very positive Corsi number, indicating that while he was facing second lines, he did very well against them in terms of shots for/against. He was also productive. 0.77 goals/60 mins would put him a bit below Chris Higgins, but his 2.13 PTS/60 at ES would put him third on the Habs. He had 14 even-strength goals and 37 even-strength points, both of which would put him near the top of the habs roster,and was a +9 . And all those stats were accrued in the "more defensive" West. He even has good faceoff stats.

He didn't do so well on the power play. But the Habs either don't care, or can fix that.

He is a strong even-strength performer, like Tanguay (but not to the same degree), and he has size. He fills a need nicely. He is no Mats Sundin, of this there can be no doubt. But he is an extremely credible plan B.

Good info - thanks.

Koivu and Tanguay are a lock...so Add higgins

Kovalev Pleks and A.Kost should be kept together for obvious reasons

That leaves Lang Latendresse and S. Kosty

I really hope not.

Andrei NEEDS TO PLAY RIGHT WING.

As much as i was still kinda thinkin Sundin, i understand that BG cant wait forever and I do like the aquisition of Lang. Big righthanded centre who adds some depth. Now the Habs have 3 solid scoring lines if Lats plays up to par.

Also don't mind the resigning of Breezer as depth.

Would have to agree that Dandy is now likely for sure on the way out. Hopefully dealt away for anything.

Dandy will be gone.

With Begin, Lapierre, Kosto, Laraque Chipchura

Yup, I think Dandenault is going to net us a 6th

or 7th rd pick.

Why sit Chipchura when you might have him

play between Pacioretty and D'Agostini.

Thats, what I think Gainey is thinking. :hlogo:

The RDS article titled "Le dossier Mats Sundin est terminé" pretty much implies that the Sundin to Montreal talk can finally be put to a rest.

As for the moves, no issue with Brisebois coming back, I'd rather have him at $750,000 on the bench than an AHL-eligible Carle/Valentenko. Yes, there's a cap issue with him having potential bonuses of $750,000 as well in what's deemed an open year for the CBA, but once the NHLPA opts not to re-open it, that issue of bonuses counting no matter what may subside.

Lang, I like the move, for reasons I explained in my Plan B article on HW earlier. It's a short-term cap hit, so he's not cutting into the money needed to re-sign the core players people want to keep (I don't name names as aside from Komisarek, there may be some disagreements.) He's a veteran right handed C, who won't need to play the major minutes like he did in Chicago, so he'll be somewhat fresh down the stretch. If one of Koivu/Plekanec go down, the team isn't stuck converting a winger to C, or having a defensive minded Lapierre/Chipchura trying to run an offensive line. It sucks that it's Toronto's pick in 2010 and not ours, but considering he was one of the prime targets once the dominoes started to fall, better to make sure you get him now rather than be in a multi-team bidding war later.

i understand that BG cant wait forever and I do like the aquisition of Lang. Big righthanded centre who adds some depth. Now the Habs have 3 solid scoring lines if Lats plays up to par.

Also don't mind the resigning of Breezer as depth.

Would have to agree that Dandy is now likely for sure on the way out. Hopefully dealt away for anything.

Exacty my opinion.

Opposing coaches will have headaches because we'll have 3 good offensive lines and a very, very potent 4th.

Image the energy line composed of Laps, Begin & Laraque!

Another great move by Gainey. Is there any doubt now that Gainey is the best GM in hockey?

Not only was Lang a Plus player last year, he has been for 7 years!

Carbo is going to love him.

Sundin has stated he has not trained this summer as he contemplates his future - so really how much do you want an out of shape 37 year-old who doesn't know if he wants to play-

and then if he does show up - is he always going to wander about playing in NY - Vancouver - Toronto as well ?

Just a solid move, I cant believe he was even available - cant wait for season to begin now.

Whens the last time we were this excited about start of year?

And Brisebois is a solid return - his heart is in Montreal - he will be a good vet to have around a young D.

The RDS article titled "Le dossier Mats Sundin est terminé" pretty much implies that the Sundin to Montreal talk can finally be put to a rest.

As for the moves, no issue with Brisebois coming back, I'd rather have him at $750,000 on the bench than an AHL-eligible Carle/Valentenko. Yes, there's a cap issue with him having potential bonuses of $750,000 as well in what's deemed an open year for the CBA, but once the NHLPA opts not to re-open it, that issue of bonuses counting no matter what may subside.

Lang, I like the move, for reasons I explained in my Plan B article on HW earlier. It's a short-term cap hit, so he's not cutting into the money needed to re-sign the core players people want to keep (I don't name names as aside from Komisarek, there may be some disagreements.) He's a veteran right handed C, who won't need to play the major minutes like he did in Chicago, so he'll be somewhat fresh down the stretch. If one of Koivu/Plekanec go down, the team isn't stuck converting a winger to C, or having a defensive minded Lapierre/Chipchura trying to run an offensive line. It sucks that it's Toronto's pick in 2010 and not ours, but considering he was one of the prime targets once the dominoes started to fall, better to make sure you get him now rather than be in a multi-team bidding war later.

Brisebois at 750K and trading Dandenault means we have

over 3.5M in cap space left. :lol: