Habs acquire Robert Lang and re-sign Brisebois

Peter Puck

Chipchura does not have to clear waivers at this point, however, he's not too far from having to either. He's currently 22, and turns 23 during the season. The threshold for 22 and 23 year olds when they are on their 3rd year of an NHL contract are as follows:

22: 70 GP (between regular season/playoffs)

23: 60 GP (between regular season/playoffs)

Last year, Chipchura played 36 games, meaning he's more than halfway to the threshold already.

I may as well note this at the same time, as there has been some confusion with Latendresse. As soon as a skater plays 160 games (between season and playoffs), he's automatically eligible for waivers. Latendresse has a combined 161 and thus under all circumstances is eligible for waivers. Lapierre falls into the 60 game category mentioned above, which he has surpassed, so he too must clear.

Hope that clarifies everything for you.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for :clap::clap:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i heard the news i had barely no reaction. Kind of p*ssed.

This move is a lateral move from Bonk to Smolinski toi Lang except the price to pay

is 4 million bucks and the steal we had from the Grabovski deal.

The pick from the leafs was almost a 1st rounder considering Toronto will be deep and are chasing Tavares.

It will all depend on how Lang will be mentally challenge to perform for a contending team.

At his age he has to be fully motivated to keep up with the fast paced game.

For Brisebois i am not thrilled either except for the stability he brings in the locker room.

Komisarek is the wildcard here. I think he still has some untapped offensive potential. He'll be happy to cover for Markov and focus on defense, but he could raises his numbers if he got some PP minutes. He's got a heavy shot.

AS much as I love Komisarek (in a heterosexual way;)) I don'T think my boy has that much offensive talent. If he were given more minutes on the PP, i would not be surprised if he were to score about 30-35 points in a season, but i don't see him getting much more than that. I think another d-man with more offensive potential could do much better. IN any case, Komisarek knows his role on this team, and he plays 5 on 5 and the PK very well. Let's not forget that he brings something that not many defensman bring to the game, and that is ROCK-SOLID hits. He also is the best shot blocker in the league

I was at a training last week so i didn't get a chance to comment. I don't necassarily think it means Chipchura will be the one sent down. With the addition of Brisby it definitely means someone won't be one the roster. If i am not mistaken they can carry 3 extra players as long as they are under the cap.

Having an additional centre definitely helps, Lang has some good points, he also can win d=faceoffs. Since they didn't land Sundin he is a respectable replacement. As others point out, Koivu and Lang are older and could get injured. Chpichura could be rotated in during back to nbacks and 3 games in 4 nights, things like that.

I don't agree with some posters lines, I don't see higgins moving to the right side, I expect it will be Lats.

Tanguay Koivu Lats

Higgins Lang SK

I'm not sure you want Lats and Lang togehter, too slow. You could certainly switch centers there. Tanguay is good at assists and Lang is more of a shooter then a passer.

With Brisby i think it's safe to say the 7 D are now complete. It seems to me that Dandy may be the odd man out, but i could be wrong there.

When i heard the news i had barely no reaction. Kind of p*ssed.

This move is a lateral move from Bonk to Smolinski toi Lang except the price to pay

is 4 million bucks and the steal we had from the Grabovski deal.

Sorry dude, but i completely disagree with you. Lang has alot more offensive talent then Smokes or Bonk. Have you seen the video posted on him on youtube. THe guy has some pretty sweet moves, and still has some gas left in the tank. I think he is a definate improvement over Smokes and Bonk!

Sorry dude, but i completely disagree with you. Lang has alot more offensive talent then Smokes or Bonk. Have you seen the video posted on him on youtube. THe guy has some pretty sweet moves, and still has some gas left in the tank. I think he is a definate improvement over Smokes and Bonk!

I respect Lang achievements from 2000 to 2006, while we are now in season 2008-09.

Nobody in Chicago is sad to see him go, everybody knew there he was likely gone and they are expecting

the team to be in the playoffs and the most improved team in the West.

Both Bonk and Smolinski were sold when they came as perennial 20 goals scorer, so being sceptical is not

out of bound here.

That being said low expectations makes every good play more enjoyable. I really wish he can play a solid season.

I think Bonk and Smoke were more in a defensive role. Lang will have some offensive wingers at his side, he should be a good addition. 15-25 goals 30-40 assists isn't too much to ask if he plays with good wingers and gets some PP time.

There really isn't as huge a gap as people think between Detroit and the rest of the league. I agree that they're the best team but they're hardly more loaded than some of the post-cap Senators and Sabres teams we've seen recently. On paper, I'd say we have more scoring depth than the Red Wings.

Their D is better than ours but the main thing that makes them better is the winning tradition that they have and the leaders on that team - Lidstrom, Chelios, Draper, Maltby - that are so used to tossing inexperienced teams aside. Really, if Price plays properly we could definitely give them a run for their money, at least as well as the other Western powerhouses could.

I think you're greatly underestimating the gap between Niklas Lidstrom and every other defenseman in the NHL. "We scored more goals than them" is a pretty shallow statement considering the East is the higher scoring conference, and Detroit blew us out of the water in terms of goals against. The goal differential difference? Detroit scored 0.89 more goals per game than their opponents, Montreal was at a 0.5 differential. Montreal gave up a 2 shots more per game than we shot on our opponent's goal, Detroit averaged 10.9 more shots per game than they gave up. If those averages were applied to a Habs-Wings matchup, Carey Price would have to make 13 more saves than Chris Osgood on a nightly basis just to keep the game even.

Montreal had no major injuries and the thinnest they got on D was a couple games where Dandenault filled in while O'Byrne, Brisebois and Hamrlik were hurt. Only O'Byrne was ever called up from Hamilton. Detroit went through about a 3 week period without Lidstrom, while Kronwall and Rafalski also got hurt in that stretch. Ledba, Lilja, and Chelios were their top 3 defenders (and then 7th d-man Derek Meech filled in as well), and had 3 callups in Ericsson, Quincey and Stafford play during that period. Their numbers dropped during that period, as expected, so their numbers would've been even more impressive if it weren't for that stretch.

In short, there is a significant gap between Detroit and the rest of the NHL. If we end up having to face Detroit, we better have made one or two significant roster additions at the deadline (particularily on D) and hope to God Price can make up the difference that will still exist.

Your best bet is to think of Lang as Radek Bonk Plus. People going gaga over footage from his Detroit days are indeed forgetting that time does hockey players no favours. Nonetheless he remains a good pickup that fills an important hole, if an under-discussed one, namely the lack of a faceoff-winning, big, experienced, effective third C.

As for us not beating Detroit: look, that's a great team, but Cup hangovers are real, and their goaltending puts the team under a lot of pressure to be twice as good as their opposition on a nightly basis. No team that has won any of the last five Cups has won a single playoff round the following season - not one. So the odds of Detroit making it back to the Finals are hardly overwhelming, and as many people have said, our team matches up pretty well against anyone else. :hlogo:

Your best bet is to think of Lang as Radek Bonk Plus. People going gaga over footage from his Detroit days are indeed forgetting that time does hockey players no favours. Nonetheless he remains a good pickup that fills an important hole, if an under-discussed one, namely the lack of a faceoff-winning, big, experienced, effective third C.

As for us not beating Detroit: look, that's a great team, but Cup hangovers are real, and their goaltending puts the team under a lot of pressure to be twice as good as their opposition on a nightly basis. No team that has won any of the last five Cups has won a single playoff round the following season - not one. So the odds of Detroit making it back to the Finals are hardly overwhelming, and as many people have said, our team matches up pretty well against anyone else. :hlogo:

That's what I'm trying to get at. If Detroit does win 3 rounds, we're in trouble. But they have to win 3 rounds, which has proven VERY difficult to do for the defending champions. I say it's more likely an upstart team like Edmonton, Columbus or Phoenix knocks them off in Round 1 then us in Round 4. It's just the weird way hockey works.

If someone else from the West is the representative, I'll like our chances, since they won't be overwhelmingly against (I used Dallas as an example). But we still have to worry about getting through the Eastern Conference first, of course. Like the stats I quoted above indicate, we still have areas to improve in.

AS much as I love Komisarek (in a heterosexual way;)) I don'T think my boy has that much offensive talent. If he were given more minutes on the PP, i would not be surprised if he were to score about 30-35 points in a season, but i don't see him getting much more than that. I think another d-man with more offensive potential could do much better. IN any case, Komisarek knows his role on this team, and he plays 5 on 5 and the PK very well. Let's not forget that he brings something that not many defensman bring to the game, and that is ROCK-SOLID hits. He also is the best shot blocker in the league

30-35 pts is exactly what I was talking about as far as "untapped offensive potential", it's double what Komo puts up currently. But he was also putting up pts in the junior & minor level. He's got a .5 PPG average in the AHL, if he was to reach that level in the NHL that'd mean about 40 pts. It's not that much of stretch to think his numbers would go up if he'd get 2nd PP unit time (we dont really have any right-handed PP d-man right now except for Breezer)

I'm bringing that up because with all his defensive prowess, Komo would still need to show some offense to get consideration for the Norris.

I was at a training last week so i didn't get a chance to comment. I don't necassarily think it means Chipchura will be the one sent down. With the addition of Brisby it definitely means someone won't be one the roster. If i am not mistaken they can carry 3 extra players as long as they are under the cap.

I don't think Chipchura should be sent down, and actually think he should be given the opportunity to be the 4th centre at the beginning of the season; this opportunity should be his to lose, and he should play regularly until he proves he can't play at this level. Both Begin and Kostopoulos should be gone after this season, and I don't think we should play them over Chipchura, especially siu

My lines for the season would like this:

A.Kostsitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev

Tanguay-Koivu-Latendresse

Higgins-Lang-S.Kostsitsyn

Lapierre-Chipchura-Laraque

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Bouillon-Gorges

Unfortunately, even though Mathieu Dandeneault should be the one being sent down as he brings absolutely nothing to the table unlike everyone else, it seems pretty obvious that Chipchura will be sent down as Gainey doesn't have the guts to send a francophone veteran down, especially one he signed to a very expensive 4 year contract. The only possibility for Chipchura to stay would be a trade involving Dandeneault, but then again, I still doubt he would get a regular spot as he would have to play musical chair with Lapierre, Begin, and Kostopoulos.

ps. I don't know how, but I'm still afraid we'll see both Begin and Kostopulos in the lineup for the first game, and possibly even Patrice Brisebois (although I give O'Byrne better odds).

30-35 pts is exactly what I was talking about as far as "untapped offensive potential", it's double what Komo puts up currently. But he was also putting up pts in the junior & minor level. He's got a .5 PPG average in the AHL, if he was to reach that level in the NHL that'd mean about 40 pts. It's not that much of stretch to think his numbers would go up if he'd get 2nd PP unit time (we dont really have any right-handed PP d-man right now except for Breezer)

I'm bringing that up because with all his defensive prowess, Komo would still need to show some offense to get consideration for the Norris.

I completely agree with you... however we need to sign him long term before he gets that opportunity ;) It could be the difference between a 4.5M salary and a 6.5M...

That's what I'm trying to get at. If Detroit does win 3 rounds, we're in trouble. But they have to win 3 rounds, which has proven VERY difficult to do for the defending champions. I say it's more likely an upstart team like Edmonton, Columbus or Phoenix knocks them off in Round 1 then us in Round 4. It's just the weird way hockey works.

If someone else from the West is the representative, I'll like our chances, since they won't be overwhelmingly against (I used Dallas as an example). But we still have to worry about getting through the Eastern Conference first, of course. Like the stats I quoted above indicate, we still have areas to improve in.

I completely understand what you are saying but it is pre season hype based on last season's accomplishments.

If it was that easy I would look up last year's stats and win my fantasy league every year. The landscape changes

very quickly in the NHL. Nobody saw the Canes or Sabres coming in 2006, nor the Habs last year.

Players emerge, teams have Cup hangovers, teams come out of nowhere. Sitting here on this board last year

90% of people thought the Habs would be making the playoffs as an 8th seed, Price was better off in Hamilton,

Grabovski was going to be the breakout forward, Kovalev was done, Kostitsyn was an underachiever and Ryder

was a lock for 30 goals.

So I am not going to concede a 7 game playoff series to the Wings 9 months from now based on last season's stats and accomplishments.

The Wings have had plenty of powerhouse teams that shit the bed in the playoffs. The Wings had a 62 win (131 pt) team not make the Finals,

a team with an 18 point cushion in a strike shortened season get swept by the Devils as well as a 124 point season go down the drain

against the Edmonton Oilers in the first round. All these teams had Nik Lidstrom on the back end.

Anytime a team employs the immortal Chris Osgood as their starting goalie they are far from a lock to win anything.

They are the favourite right now, but we will see if they are the favourite come April.

Anytime a team employs the immortal Chris Osgood as their starting goalie they are far from a lock to win anything.

They are the favourite right now, but we will see if they are the favourite come April.

Actually, Chris Osgood has won three Stanley Cups, he's never had a losing record in his NHL career (not even with mediocre teams such as the Blues and the Islanders, actually leading the Isles to the playoffs), and could end up in the top 5 of all times for career wins.

Also, he was very solid for the Wings in the playoffs, and he did save a few games with key several saves. He's not an elite goaltender by any means, but he's an underrated performer.

Actually, Chris Osgood has won three Stanley Cups, he's never had a losing record in his NHL career (not even with mediocre teams such as the Blues and the Islanders, actually leading the Isles to the playoffs), and could end up in the top 5 of all times for career wins.

Also, he was very solid for the Wings in the playoffs, and he did save a few games with key several saves. He's not an elite goaltender by any means, but he's an underrated performer.

He is also a goalie who let in three goals from outside the blueline in one playoff year and it still ended in a 4 game sweep

in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Osgood proved more than ordinary in New York and St. Louis. Manny Legace was a star in Detroit as well.

37-8-3 anyone? Plenty of mediocre goalie excelled behind that blueline, Tim Cheveldae ??

He is competent, nothing more, nothing less.

A friend of mine is a huge Wings fan, he is of the

opinion that if the Stars weren't so worn down

from the San Jose series the semi's could have

gone either way.

Dallas has a tough nasty team, Anaheim is the

same way. San Jose has the talent and depth if

they get there act together to go to the finals.

Its going to be much harder for the Wings to make

the finals this year.

Granted, we're not up there yet. We dont have a Norris candidate... yet.
True KoZed. But, and we will all smile at this. To claim at the onset of this season that Markov might or could be Norris candidate is not a crazy notion at all. He certainly falls within the possible catagory :D

True KoZed. But, and we will all smile at this. To claim at the onset of this season that Markov might or could be Norris candidate is not a crazy notion at all. He certainly falls within the possible catagory :D

Assuming he doesn't play like he did in the playoffs.

Agreed, that Markov will not be the favourite to win the Norris, but his play is starting to get more respect around the league. When you have Ovechkin saying that Markov is one of, if not the toughest d-man to play against, fans and players alike start to take more notice.

Definitely looking to see more improved play on his part. The contract he signed last summer seems very good for the Habs.

Sure, he's probably top 10 in the League right now. However he still needs to take that extra step that would put him in the elite top 5. That means 60-70 pts and a huge +/- to prove some dominance at even-strength.

Definitely looking to see more improved play on his part. The contract he signed last summer seems very good for the Habs.

NO doubt about it. Markov is a top 5 d-man in the NHL!