Carey Price considered 8th best goalie in the League

shortcat1

In an article by Chris Nicols in Sportsnet.ca, Carey Price is considered the 8th best goalie in the league. Ahead of him, in order, are Brodeur, Nabokov, Lundquist, Luongo, Giguère, Turco & Fleury. Just below him, in 9th & 10th, are Kiprusoff & Osgood.

Keep in mind that this list is a 'fantasy' list and takes into account the players in front of the goalies.

The description of Price's rating is: "Carey Price, Montreal: Playoff follies should fuel this leaner, rising star's first full season.

BACK UP THREAT LEVEL: Halak is impressive; Denis is a question mark. This is Carey's team."

Note that there's no mention of players in front of him having an impact like it mentions for Giguère, Fleury & Osgood.

I'm just taking this as an extrapolation to seeing these goaltenders as to their real comparative 'bestness' (ability, technique, etc.) Maybe we'll even have a discussion on Price's actual comparative rating.

Is Price really 8th best at this time? Is he actually better? Is he over-rated by Nichols?

To tell you the truth, I don't really know. The list seems reasonable but only the end of the year will give us a better idea.

By the way, here's the article's webpage:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nichols_top..._campaign=daily

GO :hlogo: GO!

Edited by shortcat1

In an article by Chris Nicols in Sportsnet.ca, Carey Price is considered the 8th best goalie in the league. Ahead of him, in order, are Brodeur, Nabokov, Lundquist, Luongo, Giguère, Turco & Fleury. Just below him, in 9th & 10th, are Kiprusoff & Osgood.

Keep in mind that this list is a 'fantasy' list and takes into account the players in front of the goalies.

The description of Price's rating is: "Carey Price, Montreal: Playoff follies should fuel this leaner, rising star's first full season.

BACK UP THREAT LEVEL: Halak is impressive; Denis is a question mark. This is Carey's team."

Note that there's no mention of players in front of him having an impact like it mentions for Giguère, Fleury & Osgood.

I'm just taking this as an extrapolation to seeing these goaltenders as to their real comparative 'bestness' (ability, technique, etc.) Maybe we'll even have a discussion on Price's actual comparative rating.

Is Price really 8th best at this time? Is he actually better? Is he over-rated by Nichols?

To tell you the truth, I don't really know. The list seems reasonable but only the end of the year will give us a better idea.

By the way, here's the article's webpage:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nichols_top..._campaign=daily

Fantasy rankings are not based on ability. They are based on ability to win and usually a ranking is inflated

based upon the team's performance.

Patrick Lalime was a top 5 goalie when he was playing on an Ottawa powerhouse, but the second he ended up

on the Blues he plummeted in the rankings. Osgood and Legace have been premier Fantasy goalies because

they played on the Wings but when both of them left for other teams they became less than desirable.

Price is playing for the Eastern Conference champions and put up strong numbers last year, hence the lofty ranking.

Personally I believe he is easily a top 10 goaltender in the league. I would take him over everybody but Brodeur, Luongo,

Nabakov and Turco. He is only 21, so he may struggle at times. But I believe he will be better than guys like

Lundqvist, Giguere, Fleury, Kipprusoff and Backstrom by the end of the year.

Biased? Yes. But I believe in the kid as much as people believed in Crosby and Ovechkin.

Edited by Wamsley01

Fantasy rankings are not based on ability. They are based on ability to win and usually a ranking is inflated

based upon the team's performance.

Patrick Lalime was a top 5 goalie when he was playing on an Ottawa powerhouse, but the second he ended up

on the Blues he plummeted in the rankings. Osgood and Legace have been premier Fantasy goalies because

they played on the Wings but when both of them left for other teams they became less than desirable.

Price is playing for the Eastern Conference champions and put up strong numbers last year, hence the lofty ranking.

Personally I believe he is easily a top 10 goaltender in the league. I would take him over everybody but Brodeur, Luongo,

Nabakov and Turco. He is only 21, so he may struggle at times. But I believe he will be better than guys like

Lundqvist, Giguere, Fleury, Kipprusoff and Backstrom by the end of the year.

Biased? Yes. But I believe in the kid as much as people believed in Crosby and Ovechkin.

I know that this has been said before but it may be argued, in years to come, which was really a better pick... Crosby or Price. Right now, it's still Crosby but, down the road, that may change.

We'll see.

I know that this has been said before but it may be argued, in years to come, which was really a better pick... Crosby or Price. Right now, it's still Crosby but, down the road, that may change.

We'll see.

It all depends what you determine as success. The argument has made that Roy was a better pick than Lemieux when

you add up Cups, Smythe trophies etc.

If Cups is the ultimate determining factor, then Price does have a chance to be the better pick.

I also think the gap has closed because Crosby was supposed to be the premier superstar (Gretzky hyped him to break his records),

and is now perceived as a great player with peers on the same level (Ovechkin, Malkin). So the mention of Price in the same

breath does not seem as ridiculous anymore.

Price has a ways to go before he is talked about in the same breath as Crosby and Malkin, etc.

He was good last year but he was not in the top 5 by any means (he was a rookie, so great for a rookie). He was not good in the playoffs.

Price is what I consider "potentially great", but he actually has to do it first. :)

Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin are DOING great things, not just expected to do them.