kovalev contract rumours

simonus

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/pit70.html

No offers for Kovalev

TheFourthPeriod.com

Alex Kovalev, who finished the 2003-04 season with Montreal, still has not received an offer he deems worthy of serious consideration, reports the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"Nobody has really said anything," Kovalev told the paper. "I talked to my agent [scott Greenspun] the other day and he said everything is quiet. I guess everybody is just focused on what's going to happen [with the collective bargaining agreement talks]."

For much of last season, Kovalev appeared to be high on the Penguins' wish list for this summer, but bringing him back doesn't look like a priority anymore.

Kovalev told le Journal de Montreal recently that he doesn't expect the Penguins to compete for his services.

The Canadiens are believed to have offered Kovalev a contract worth about $4.2 million annually; that's well above what the Penguins likely would be willing to pay him, albeit less than Kovalev seems to feel he will get eventually.

Whether Montreal will sweeten its proposal remains to be seen. But while Kovalev has no way of knowing now where he'll be playing when the NHL returns, he isn't concerned about being out of work.

"One thing I know is that someday I'm still going to play for somebody," he said. "I know I'm not going to lose my job. I'm still going to play somewhere. Why should I be worried?"

Spectors Rumours indicate that Detroit is apparently now interested in signing Kovalev... Can we all say " I remember Brett Hull once told us he wanted to play for the Habs" If it's true then Habs fans can just about kiss any chances of his signing here goodbye!

Did anyone else hear what Kovalev said when he was interviewed after having lost to the USA on tuesday? The interviewer (I forgot what his name was) asked Kovalev "Now that the world cup is over for you what's the deal between you and the habs?"(Something like that). Kovalev then said that he hasnt heard from Bob Gainey since a couple months but he still considers playing for the Montreal Canadiens. However one thing he knows is that when the season starts "I will have a job".

What do you guys think?

i think kovalev needs at the very least to seem open to other offers to insure that gainey will make an effort to sign him. A scarce and desired commodity is more valuable. Talent like kovalev's is scarce, so he needs to make himself look desired (which I am sure he is). Most of this posturing is meaningless and we wont know anything until we know everything.

This story contradicts the other that was put out not too long ago about him saying that a deal might get done?... I might be wrong, long week at college, so maybe my memory fails me..

The key part about his statement... "I will have a job wehn the season starts"... is just that, he will only have a job if and when next season begins, which could be a nyce long while from now. I highly doubt he will get signed b4 a new CBA is in place.

The problem is, Kovalev can be as lazy as what he is talented!!! Do you think the Gainey should open the vault to sign such a player??? Jagr is even more naturally talented than Kovalev, but what is his true value to a hockey team at this point today??? I don't believe the odds weigh out in favour of upping the offer to him & not allowing the Habs to be able to have the option of signing maybe another player or two who play their balls off game in game out to round out the lineup!! Will more money motiavate him to play hard???