Montreal Canadiens vs Boston Bruins, Halifax N.S Sept 22nd

johnnyhasbeen

Damn! That sucks. I had high hopes for Valentenko. Looks like he'll need another year in Hamilton before he can make the jump!

No matter when he makes the jump, he will need a little bit of time to adjust and to shake up his nervousness. If we gradually gave him more ice-time, starting at 12 minutes, and placed him with a more experienced veteran (remember how quickly Komisarek progressed playing laongside Markov?) he would probably do just fine after a few games. Also, Valentenko may be trying to do a little bit too much to impress the coaching staff.

Was Valentenko playing on the left side or on his off-side last night? That could also explain why he was caught out of position so much.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I failed to notice Cerebus, sorry. He did seem like he was trying to do a bit too much. He tried to show some offensive skills and had a couple of brutal giveaways. It does seem like he might have a *bit* of an offensive game though.

Just be more careful next time... just kidding ;)

I haven't seen enough of Valentenko personally to evaluate his offensive game, but from the little I've seen and the fact that he did pretty well at the WJC and Hamilton when asked to play a more complete role, I would tend to agree with you.

Just for the record, last year Bégin : 44 games played, 48 PIM, 20 of these are for fighting (Reich, Hnidy, Jason Smith and Lilja), so we are down to 14 minor penalties in 44 games played. For a player who plays like Bégin does, it is VERY decent.

Agreed! The only really bad penalty i remember Bégin taking last year was in the series vs. Phily.

I could be wrong, but it seems like the problem with a lot of his penalties is timing. It seems like a high percentage of his minors came in important situations, such as late in close games.

Exactly agree with that. Also correlate that with what Cerebus is saying, why is Begin ON the ice in important situations when he is a marginal 3rd, decent 4th liner. With the team the Habs have, 4th line players shouldn't be on the ice late in any close game.