Will Ryder hit the road?

Spider-Man NL

thetelegram.bmp

By Robin Short, The Telegram

Whenever the NHL resumes its schedule, there’s no certainty Michael Ryder will be in a Montreal Canadiens uniform again.

The Calder Trophy finalist is a free agent, albeit a Group II restricted one. Which means he’s ‘free’ in name only. The Canadiens have the right to match any offer extended to Ryder or accept draft-pick compensation.

And a 25-goal scorer commands a couple of high picks.

Montreal qualified Ryder in July, a minimum 10 per cent raise on last year’s $605,000 US deal. But Ryder hasn’t signed and the Canadiens haven’t been beating down Thane Campbell’s door looking to negotiate.

“There haven’t been any negotiations to speak of,” said Campbell, a Toronto lawyer who not only represents the right-winger, but his younger brother, Daniel, who toils for the OHL’s Peterborough Petes.

Campbell says given the precarious labour climate surrounding the NHL, it’s almost certain any deal between the Canadians and Ryder — if there’s one to be had — won’t be worked out until a new Collective Bargaining Agreement is reached.

The agent is evasive as Martin St. Louis in the corner when discussing Ryder’s contract status.

But he does admit there’s something to be read in the fact the Canadiens haven’t approached Ryder with anything more than a qualifying offer.

“That will tell you that at the end of the day, there’s no certainty Michael’s going to be with Montreal,” Campbell said. “I think both sides understand that. (Habs’ GM) Bob Gainey and company are smart people. They understand that.

“At the end of the day, if Michael’s not with Montreal, Montreal pays the price and Michael too.

“He’s an unsigned guy who realistically could be in a standoff with Montreal to the point where ... well, you’ve seen what’s happened with players (in that situation). They don’t end up with the team after it’s said and done.”

On ice if locked out

In the meantime, Campbell doesn’t seem too hopeful Ryder will be playing during the lockout, unlike some NHLers who have already signed contingent contracts with European clubs.

He says Ryder prefers not to go overseas and while Hamilton of the fledgling WHA picked him fourth overall in its July draft, the revival of the old World Hockey Association seems stalled. Most teams have yet to even appoint coaching staffs.

“Where he’s unsigned,” Campbell said, “I don’t think he’s going to play anywhere. There’s insurance issues to deal with. There are many issues to deal with.

“But if it looks like the season is going to go sideways on us and he’s not going to have a season, whether it’s because the CBA hasn’t been signed or because he doesn’t have any options with Montreal — there’s no contract with Montreal — then he’ll look elsewhere. And he’s got to look at a long-term situation.”

MR.bmp

[Edited on 2004/9/5 by Spider-Man NL]

A word of advice to Micheal Ryder, you have played all of one good season in the NHL. Don't allow some dickhead agent convince you that the Habs can't do without you, because they most certainly can. It is amazing how after one season of living the dream most Canadian kids would die for, that Ryder is willing to toss it out the window, instead of signing 2yr contract & proving first that his rookie season wasn't a one time happening, before threatening to sit out!!!

BTW, I'm sure if the Ryder camp were to make a reasonable counter-offer, he would be signed, sealed & under contract within a very short time.

[Edited on 2004/9/5 by Uwey]

i can understanad ryder wanting to get more than his minimum raise. I'm surprised that they didnt at least give him a little icing on the cake fore the good job, I frankly thought that they were going to bring him closer to what they were paying ribeiro - give him 750,000.

One has to remember that bumping the kid up 2-3 hundred thousand dollars doesn't really impact the team that much, but really makes a difference to his salary.

I'm sure we'll sign him. I think this is the agents way of just trying to get Bob Gainey to panic, and worry maybe that he wont get Ryder. (But common, its Bob Gainey we are talking about here:/). This agent is obviously not

to great.)

In the end, I'm sure that Ryder wants to remain in Montreal. (wait... did i read sumwhere he's a leaf fan? :puke: )

Everything is just a bit uncertain with all the CBA junk thats going on right now.

Jesus don't freak out people, Ryder isn't leaving town. Back when Kostitsyn was signed Gainey said he's taking care if Souray first and then Ryder. Sure none of them as signed yet but Gainey clearly stated Ryder was a different case and he'd take care of it once everyone was signed.

Just need a little patience.

No way is Ryder going to hit the road, he certainly had a good time with the Habs and he doesnt want to have his home town switch from Habs fans to where ever he ends up.

yes thats right the small town he grew up in about 4,000 of em converted to Habs fans from leafers because of Ryder!

Originally posted by Vihvelin_Habs

No way is Ryder going to hit the road, he certainly had a good time with the Habs and he doesnt want to have his home town switch from Habs fans to where ever he ends up.

yes thats right the small town he grew up in about 4,000 of em converted to Habs fans from leafers because of Ryder!

hahahahaha........Bonavista was never a Full Leaf town....Its always been 50/50 between Habs fans and Leaf Fans.....None of the real Leaf fans have converted to Habs, they just watch and hope ryder does good..!

Glad to have an inside scoop on it Bonavistaman11 :D:D... thats whats awesome about these forums, ppl from alll over :D, that way, u get the almost complete view of things... even if you don't agree with it.

Anywayz, nothing to worry about folks, Ryder will be in Habs uniform when hockey resumes... thats my fearless prediction :P

Originally posted by Bonavistaman11
Originally posted by Vihvelin_Habs

hahahahaha........Bonavista was never a Full Leaf town....Its always been 50/50 between Habs fans and Leaf Fans.....None of the real Leaf fans have converted to Habs, they just watch and hope ryder does good..!

well i read it in an article that he converted alot of them to Habers, but i do live in the Maratimes are you from Bonivista or near there? im in New Brunswick

Ryder had a great rookie year but just one goal in the playoffs. I like the kid and hope he stays with the Habs but come on now.. I remember a guy named Joe Juneau that scored over a 100 points in his rookie year and never even came close to doing that again. If you know what I mean?

Demand the cash when you're a sure-fire type of player.

Guys, all he did was turn down his qualifying offer which would have paid him just a little more then the 605,000 he got last year....It's not like he's demanding a 2-3 million dollar raise.

I know its only one season, but he did lead all rookies in points and was runner up for the Calder trophy!..

Shouldnt he get some kind of reward?? he should be getting at least a Mil. a season on his next contract..

Also, if it wasnt for the CBA lockout looming, Gainey would definitely have Ryder under contract..He's just waiting untill things are straightened away to see what the Value of players like Ryder will be, then a contract will be worked out..

[Edited on 2004/9/8 by Bonavistaman11]