The Kids are Alright

Nilan25

Maybe it's a positive hangover from the achievment of last year but the rookies in this camp seem to be making an impact. In previous years training camp I seem to have my eye one or two players, this year it seems like there are 6-7 players to watch. And they all seem to be able to SKATE!!! No wonder Chipchura looks like a an also ran.

No kidding. From what I have heard so far is that it almost sounds like PK Subban might have a shot at making the team.

Somebody made a comment that Subbans only mistake so far was buying 2 tickets for his parents to tonights game. Players are given 2 tickets. :lol:

The Sens analysts on the Ottawa sports radio were saying that Habs will be 1st in the Div and most likely 1st in the East again. The Sens vets clearly couldnt keep up with the Habs prospects tonight. Hopefully we actually get to see more of the same Saturday night. :D

Maybe it's a positive hangover from the achievment of last year but the rookies in this camp seem to be making an impact. In previous years training camp I seem to have my eye one or two players, this year it seems like there are 6-7 players to watch. And they all seem to be able to SKATE!!! No wonder Chipchura looks like a an also ran.

Ya, you got to like our future.

D'Agostini,Pacioretty,Maxwell,Stewart at

forward and Weber and Subban on D are

looking good.

Chipchura and Valentenko are fine prospects

that haven't shown as much.

I think at least 4 of those 8 will be Habs in 09-10 :clap:

Ya, you got to like our future.

D'Agostini,Pacioretty,Maxwell,Stewart at

forward and Weber and Subban on D are

looking good.

Chipchura and Valentenko are fine prospects

that haven't shown as much.

I think at least 4 of those 8 will be Habs in 09-10 :clap:

IT'll take longer for valentenko, he needs to play the puck more instead of always trying to take the man out.

with all those UFAs next year you can bet to see a younger team next season with plenty of bulldogs.

I don't see any forwards making the team unless there is an injury.

Guy wouldn't want them sitting in the press box.

I can see stewart being recalled regularly.

I can see stewart being recalled regularly.

I think for grinders, Begin, Kosto, and Laraque will take turns on the wings on our fourth line.

Only way Stewart will cet recalled is if injury or suspension.

Hmm, silly question but is it just me or are the announcers badly butchering the pronounciation of several of the young Habs names.

i.e. Subban - is it really pronounced soo-bin :unsure:

and Pacioretty - I seriously doubt the Italian way they seem to be saying his name is correct because its not an Italian name afaik. For the tch sound in Italian you need double c`s and the ettie sound the t`s are always followed by an i at the end and its just 1 t not 2. All Italians last names end in vowels (a,e,i,o, and u), and not sometimes y. Y rarely counts as a vowel in English. I have no clue where they are getting Patchorettie from. :huh:

Hmm, silly question but is it just me or are the announcers badly butchering the pronounciation of several of the young Habs names.

and Pacioretty - I seriously doubt the Italian way they seem to be saying his name is correct because its not an Italian name afaik. For the tch sound in Italian you need double c`s and the ettie sound the t`s are always followed by an i at the end and its just 1 t not 2. All Italians last names end in vowels (a,e,i,o, and u), and not sometimes y. Y rarely counts as a vowel in English. I have no clue where they are getting Patchorettie from. :huh:

I say Soo-bin because all the announcers say it that way. I assume that if all of them pronounce an easy name in such a strange way, it must be correct.

I've always thought of Pacioretty as Patch-ee-oh-reh-tee. How would you see it?

I say Soo-bin because all the announcers say it that way. I assume that if all of them pronounce an easy name in such a strange way, it must be correct.

I wondered how his name was pronounced. I have heard it like you have posted and also as, Passer-eddie.

Well, not really bud.... for instance the correct pronunciation of ol' Dino Ciccarelli is "Chick-a-relli". So one "C" is all you need in Italian for "tch" sound.

Ive heard

Patch ee oh ready

Passer eddie

Pashee oh ready

RDS should get it right, because they ask players how they want thier names to be pronounced.

Well, not really bud.... for instance the correct pronunciation of ol' Dino Ciccarelli is "Chick-a-relli". So one "C" is all you need in Italian for "tch" sound.

Not sure how you say I am wrong though. Dino has cc in his name but it isnt a tch sound so I dont get how 1 c can make a tch sound from his name. 2 cc's can also make s sounds, thats true.

The way we say Ciccarelli seems to make Pacioretty sound like pass but again there isnt 2 c's so I'm not sure if thats right.

I seem to say it pack i or e tea

Who knows though, I bet his own family doesnt know how its pronounced. Italian is a strange language. There are a lot of different Italian dialects and not all Italians can actually speak Italian to each other it can very so much from region to region. I still dont beleive it is Italian. I guess we need for an Italian to have a say on it.

Without knowing his families country of origin it would be hard to figure out how to say it properly. If he is Czech its probably pronounced Beckorallash. :lol:

You cant just go by what the anouncers say because they do butcher a lot of names. We all know its Plekanets not Plekanech. Same with Huet, I still think even Huet pronounces his own name wrong well unless he has British roots and they fracaphonized his name. You-Eh should be right, Hewitt definitely doesnt seem to go with how words ending in et are pronounced in French.

I am interested to here how Pacioretty pronounces it. :D

Not sure how you say I am wrong though. Dino has cc in his name but it isnt a tch sound so I dont get how 1 c can make a tch sound from his name. 2 cc's can also make s sounds, thats true.

The way we say Ciccarelli seems to make Pacioretty sound like pass but again there isnt 2 c's so I'm not sure if thats right.

I seem to say it pack i or e tea

Who knows though, I bet his own family doesnt know how its pronounced. Italian is a strange language. There are a lot of different Italian dialects and not all Italians can actually speak Italian to each other it can very so much from region to region. I still dont beleive it is Italian. I guess we need for an Italian to have a say on it.

Without knowing his families country of origin it would be hard to figure out how to say it properly. If he is Czech its probably pronounced Beckorallash. :lol:

You cant just go by what the anouncers say because they do butcher a lot of names. We all know its Plekanets not Plekanech. Same with Huet, I still think even Huet pronounces his own name wrong well unless he has British roots and they fracaphonized his name. You-Eh should be right, Hewitt definitely doesnt seem to go with how words ending in et are pronounced in French.

I am interested to here how Pacioretty pronounces it. :D

You're right in that Pacioretty doesn't look like your typical Italian name... if it was Pacioretti, then I'd be inclined to say it was Italian. The name could've very well started out as Pacioretti back in the "old world" and the spelling of it became "anglicized" once his family moved to America. I know a girl named Pratz whose family comes from Calabria in Italy and their name was originally Prazza, but over time it got americanized.

Or his family might be from some northern border area of Italy where languages/cultures are more mixed with French of Germanic influences. Could have Corsican/Sardinian roots too...

Or the name could be of Romanian origin... some pretty odd names and spellings over there. Plus he has the dark complexion of those people.

I guess only Max knows!

Subban has alot of work to do before he is NHL ready. I like his skating and work ethic but he makes alot of mistakes and took several penalties. He has alot of work to do.

Weber actually surprised me in the 2 games i saw and what others are saying about him. I didn't think much of him but other players are impressed with me so that is good enough for me.

Valentenko has been poor at best, he was pretty much outmatched by NHLers, sorry Cerebus, i don't see how he'll be an NHler on this team, too many good prospects on the left D.

Pacioretty will make the team next year, what role he has i have no idea. I guess it depends on who is resigned. As you may have seen, he has the size, speed and the defensive game to play quickily. Offensively he needs to play with play makers, in college he played with a shooter and a playmaker and he did all the little things. Goes to the cormners, forechecks, goes to the front of the net.

Stewart will take the 4th line LW spot next year and should be good with Laraque Lapierre

Chipchura impressed me the games i saw him play so far. They need to give him a shut down role, he doesn't have the speed to be a top 2 centre. Some people are don on him and others aare very high on him, i think he's good enough to be a solid 3 or 4 centre depending on his wingers. He has gotten better on faceoffs.

I'm looking forward to this season, I think next year's team will look signifacantly different and younger.

So do I!

You cant just go by what the anouncers say because they do butcher a lot of names. We all know its Plekanets not Plekanech.

The first few years, everyone used to pronounce Plekanec the proper way: Tomash Plekanets. However, Tomas has asked the media to pronounce his name "Plekanek".

Same for Huet. In Québec, we normally keep the t "silent" when it comes at the end of a name, but apparently in France, they pronounce it Huette. When he was asked how he pronounces his name, Christobal had said: Huette. So Michel Lacroix (the Announcer at the Bell Centre) started calling Huet, Huette last season.

Subban has alot of work to do before he is NHL ready. I like his skating and work ethic but he makes alot of mistakes and took several penalties. He has alot of work to do.

Weber actually surprised me in the 2 games i saw and what others are saying about him. I didn't think much of him but other players are impressed with me so that is good enough for me.

Valentenko has been poor at best, he was pretty much outmatched by NHLers, sorry Cerebus, i don't see how he'll be an NHler on this team, too many good prospects on the left D.

Agreed! Subban will play in the NHL, NOt this year, and maybe not next year, but he'll be here in 3 years MAX!

Weber was definitely the best surprise of this camp. Had we not been as strong on the Blue line, i'm sure he could've started the season in Montreal.

I must admit I had high hopes for Valentenko. He has been somewhat of a disappointment in this training camp...but my guess is that he'll do better this year. Another season in Hamilton will do him some good.

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I just read an article in today's LaPresse about the Bulldogs. The Dogs have a great start to the season (4W-0L) however MaxPac seems to be having some difficulty adapting to the caliber of play in the AHL. He only has 1 assist in 4 games played. Lever said that he'd give him another 2 weeks before putting some added pressure on the kid.

here,s the link (it's in french)

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...etty-decoit.php

Edited by Habsfan

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I just read an article in today's LaPresse about the Bulldogs. The Dogs have a great start to the season (4W-0L) however MaxPac seems to be having some difficulty adapting to the caliber of play in the AHL. He only has 1 assist in 4 games played. Lever said that he'd give him another 2 weeks before putting some added pressure on the kid.

How about here? ^_^

Habs prospects thread?

You see that a lot...young kid thinks he'll make the big team, gets bounced back to the A and struggles. No worries, he'll adapt and he'll be back up with the Habs at some point this year.

So do I!

The first few years, everyone used to pronounce Plekanec the proper way: Tomash Plekanets. However, Tomas has asked the media to pronounce his name "Plekanek".

Same for Huet. In Québec, we normally keep the t "silent" when it comes at the end of a name, but apparently in France, they pronounce it Huette. When he was asked how he pronounces his name, Christobal had said: Huette. So Michel Lacroix (the Announcer at the Bell Centre) started calling Huet, Huette last season.

That’s true, in France names are often pronounced more “as is”. For example the French pronounce our provincial prime minister’s name as “Jean Charesste” and they don’t add an accent to names that end with an “e” unlike quebeckers who’ll pronounce names such as Bonté instead of Bonte.