Montreal Canadiens vs Detroit Red Wings

Athlétique.Canadien

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should have a W and a shootout for the amazing Price if it wasn't for the o'rdinary O'byrnery .........

i think you mean SHUTOUT. LOL :clap: :hlogo:

Pacioretty is a keeper....... :clap: What a game!

Yeah I think he makes the team. So who goes? Chips dandy Laps?

This was MaxPac's breakout game! The kid was all over the place! I really like Him! The kid has the total package! But...

Pac looks better then Lats to me

It's safe to say that Pacman has earned his spot

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is only ONE game! I clearly remember a pre-season game a couple of years ago where Lats had 2 goals and an assist and had out played everyone on the team.

Today, i think that the situation on the team isn't the same anymore. When Latendresse was outplaying his team mates a couple of years ago, the Habs were struggling. There was room on the roster for a big kid. However today, the Habs are stacked. I'd rather let MaxPac go play a full season in Hamilton (he's not used to playing more than 40 games a year) and bring him up next year. That way we get to keep him one extra year before he's eligible for free agency!

Edited by Habsfan

Whether he makes the team out of came or makes the team some time this season, Max Pac's going to be a great addition to the club. We saw his offensive instincts tonight, but I think there is still yet for him to learn about his overall game.

Well, I was wrong. I thought we were the only team

in the league that had arguably 6 line depth, now I

know theres at least 2 teams.

What a game. A little taste of the finals, methinks.

Speed to spare on both teams and elite skills.

I don't know how we're going to keep Pacioretty

off this team. But, he shouldn't play on the 4th

line.

And Price...Wow!!! :hlogo:

I was always under the impression that Bob was way to fair with signing and trades etc but clearly he totally screwed SJ. :lol:

Max Pac does indeed look NHL ready right now. :o Not sure how or who he will replace but something should be done to get him on the team ASAP. Maybe there will be a trade in the future to make room for him or is it to late to buy out Dandy? :P

Sweet save by Price but I doubt its the save of the year. Its definitely the save of the preseason for sure though. Dont forget that Huet last year made a couple of similar sweet stick saves like that too.

Nice to hear that Pacman is doing particularly well. There were a ton of complaints when we took the kid, and watching nay-sayers eat crow is a fabulous passtime. As to the question of who stays and goes? It's a good one.

I have to believe that Chips is challenging Laps for the fourth line centre spot. Laps is the agitating, fast, bulldog who hits and Chips is the slower but far more complete package. I suspect Laps starts the season and Chips finishes it. Lapsy's Montreal career may very well hinge on how many centre's Gainey resigns for next season. If Lang goes and there's no attacking replacement, Chipper gets the third line and Lappy the fourth. Otherwise? I think Laps makes for reasonable trade bait.

Regarding Max, I think he can only play his way on if someone plays their way off. Otherwise, a year in Hamilton can never be a bad thing at his age. Those most susceptible to losing a spot to Max? Sergei is one target, I suppose, but the guy who probably feels it most is Tender. The two are the same type player, so the one who wants it most will probably get it. The number one question has to be concerning the comparison between the two of defensive abilities. At least next season the two will probably stick. (I don't think Kosty goes because he's a big-time vet and I don't think anyone wants Max playing 6-8 minutes in the NHL when he could be playing twice that at least in the 'A'.

Interesting days ahead. Gotta say, I'm pulling for Max for so many reasons.

I agree with Pierre though...he needs to be on this team to start the season. Chop whoever to make room.

You know they are NOT going to cut lats. And that is the only guy to cut because it doesn't make sense cutting Begin and putting PAC on line 4 and/or pressbox some nights.

If you don't put him on Lines 2 or 3, then he is being wasted and a year in Hamilton would be better for him. My choice would be cut Lats, open the door for MaxPac :huh:

Crazy Depth :hlogo:

Anyway here are my thoughts on the game:

Max- pretty speechless

Lang shootout goal- as slick as a backhand gets

Pierre actually said cut Lats

I hate Downey

Great game by Carey

O'byrne (as much as i like him) had an awful game

Gorges was a shot blocking machine as was Komi

Marky was missed on PP

Was Weber just a 1 shot wonder? Bad game

Diago was respectable

Sergie was flying

Crowd :clap::clap::clap: Greatest crowd in the league, hands down.

Boston is going to be a blood bath... Dress some toughness.

I have listened to the game very closely and, IMO, there are three youngsters ready for NHL play: Pacioretty, D'Agostini and Chipchura.

Pax is really impressive. Excellent skater, fast and solid on his feet. He is strong and already knows what to do against the boards. His stick-handling is also very good. IMO, he might well become a superstar one day. It's been a long time since the Habs farm system has produced such a fine power forward. The last one was probably Claude Lemieux.

D'Agostini had a fine game too. He did not have the chance to play with Kovy and Lang, but produced some opportunities for his linemates. He is also a good skater and his stick-handling is solid.

Chipchura has matured quite a bit since last year. He goes to the net and shoots. I like the way he protects the puck. He was more effective than Lapierre. IMO, he deserves to start the season at Montreal.

Weber is also a promising young defenseman, but he needs more seasoning at Hamilton. Same thing for Stewart.

O'Byrne had a bad performance against the Wings, but I think he will settle down when paired with Hamrlik or another stable, experienced defenseman.

Datsuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom weren't in the Detroit's line-up, but the Habs were also missing some big names. Koivu, Tanguay, Higgins, Andrei Kostitsyn, Begin, Hamrlik and Markov weren't there and we still won. Not bad at all.

JMHO

Edited by JCPetit

Nice to hear that Pacman is doing particularly well. There were a ton of complaints when we took the kid, and watching nay-sayers eat crow is a fabulous passtime. As to the question of who stays and goes? It's a good one.

I have to believe that Chips is challenging Laps for the fourth line centre spot. Laps is the agitating, fast, bulldog who hits and Chips is the slower but far more complete package. I suspect Laps starts the season and Chips finishes it. Lapsy's Montreal career may very well hinge on how many centre's Gainey resigns for next season. If Lang goes and there's no attacking replacement, Chipper gets the third line and Lappy the fourth. Otherwise? I think Laps makes for reasonable trade bait.

Regarding Max, I think he can only play his way on if someone plays their way off. Otherwise, a year in Hamilton can never be a bad thing at his age. Those most susceptible to losing a spot to Max? Sergei is one target, I suppose, but the guy who probably feels it most is Tender. The two are the same type player, so the one who wants it most will probably get it. The number one question has to be concerning the comparison between the two of defensive abilities. At least next season the two will probably stick. (I don't think Kosty goes because he's a big-time vet and I don't think anyone wants Max playing 6-8 minutes in the NHL when he could be playing twice that at least in the 'A'.

Interesting days ahead. Gotta say, I'm pulling for Max for so many reasons.

Interesting ideas, I don't think Sergei is a target.

Am I the only one that noticed Lapierre is the softest

physical forward in the league. I mean he loves checking

opposing forwards arms. Looks good, sounds good, but

I want a 4th line forward thats going to drive someone

into the boards. Chips, although slower might be a better

choice as 4th line C.

Is Pacioretty going to make Latendresse our 4th line LW??

I think it's going to happen sooner than we think.

We could use another top 4 D, I could see a trade. It'll

probably happen later in the season, but I see us adding

a Schneider type near the deadline.

If Pacioretty does make this team, I could see a deal go down for a top notch dman, because theres quality pieces that could be moved for one.

:hlogo:

Gotta hand it to Timmins and Gainey for picking the kid up at 22nd. Its late but looks like a steal so far.

Laps signed an NHL contract this summer so I believe he's earned the trust of Carbo & Gainey with his play since his call-up last season. Chipchura is doing the same thing he's done in pre-season last year; but this time it appears that Laps' spot is his to lose, not Chip's to win. But Carbo showed that not even vets are above being replaced if their weren't performing every night.

Pacioretty is the 2008 Latendresse. Fired up kid full of talent who wants to impressed everybody. Gets the same hype Lats got in his first and second camp. Calling for Lats to be cut is ludicrous and should be filed under "Things one blurts out when having an orgasm from seeing a great prospect perform well in preseason". How many teams do you think envy the Habs right now for having Lats and Pac? We've been waiting for one LW like that for ages, now we got two! Begin is most likely the one guy who'll lose his spot to Pac somewhere between now and a year from now. Wouldnt be surprised if it happens during the course of the season.

One other guy, however, that should start feeling the heat is Higgins. AK46 already passed him as the #1 scoring LW on the team, Tanguay had played LW for the better part of his NHL career and now Lats & Pac are on the way up. Carbo has told time and time again that Higgins should stop trying to be a finesse player and just use his speed and strength to go to the net but it has yet to materialize. Going to the net is actually something both Lats & Pac do well. They're bigger & have a more natural scoring touch than Higgins.

Higgins isnt going anywhere: his speed, defensive game and work ethic are very valuable. However with Pac on the way up and Lats improving as well, Higgins in danger of seeing his ice-time and offensive responsabilities reduced alot, settling in a 2-way, 20+ goals winger role. He appeared very uncomfortable when tried at other positions last year so a change of position is unlikely.

In the end, Begin, Kostopoulos & Dandeneault are the guys more vulnerable of losing their spot. There's enough vets and experience in the rest of the lineup now to let those 3 go and replace them with Pac, Chips & Dago. One of the 3 eventually ends up a healthy scratch but it ensures none of them (and no vets) rests on their laurels.

Dont think it'll happen right off training camp though. Carbo said he already had his lineup in mind and I doubt anything in preseason changes his mind for the opener roster. However I'm also sure Carbo has an idea what lineup he wants mid-season and it might include the kids.

What would you prefer? Begin-Lapierre-Kostopoulos or Pacioretty-Chipchura-Lapierre/Pacioretty-Lapierre-D'Agostini/Chipchura-Lapierre-Laraque/etc.

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev

Higgins - Koivu - Tanguay

Latendresse - Lang - Kostitsyn

Pacioretty - Chipchura/Lapierre - Laraque/D'agostini

Dont that look extremely scary for an opposing defense?

If Pacioretty does make this team, I could see a deal go down for a top notch dman, because theres quality pieces that could be moved for one.

:hlogo:

salary cap makes such a trade unlikely (at least early in the season).

Gotta hand it to Timmins and Gainey for picking the kid up at 22nd. Its late but looks like a steal so far.

Laps signed an NHL contract this summer so I believe he's earned the trust of Carbo & Gainey with his play since his call-up last season. Chipchura is doing the same thing he's done in pre-season last year; but this time it appears that Laps' spot is his to lose, not Chip's to win. But Carbo showed that not even vets are above being replaced if their weren't performing every night.

Pacioretty is the 2008 Latendresse. Fired up kid full of talent who wants to impressed everybody. Gets the same hype Lats got in his first and second camp. Calling for Lats to be cut is ludicrous and should be filed under "Things one blurts out when having an orgasm from seeing a great prospect perform well in preseason". How many teams do you think envy the Habs right now for having Lats and Pac? We've been waiting for one LW like that for ages, now we got two! Begin is most likely the one guy who'll lose his spot to Pac somewhere between now and a year from now. Wouldnt be surprised if it happens during the course of the season.

One other guy, however, that should start feeling the heat is Higgins. AK46 already passed him as the #1 scoring LW on the team, Tanguay had played LW for the better part of his NHL career and now Lats & Pac are on the way up. Carbo has told time and time again that Higgins should stop trying to be a finesse player and just use his speed and strength to go to the net but it has yet to materialize. Going to the net is actually something both Lats & Pac do well. They're bigger & have a more natural scoring touch than Higgins.

Higgins isnt going anywhere: his speed, defensive game and work ethic are very valuable. However with Pac on the way up and Lats improving as well, Higgins in danger of seeing his ice-time and offensive responsabilities reduced alot, settling in a 2-way, 20+ goals winger role. He appeared very uncomfortable when tried at other positions last year so a change of position is unlikely.

In the end, Begin, Kostopoulos & Dandeneault are the guys more vulnerable of losing their spot. There's enough vets and experience in the rest of the lineup now to let those 3 go and replace them with Pac, Chips & Dago. One of the 3 eventually ends up a healthy scratch but it ensures none of them (and no vets) rests on their laurels.

Dont think it'll happen right off training camp though. Carbo said he already had his lineup in mind and I doubt anything in preseason changes his mind for the opener roster. However I'm also sure Carbo has an idea what lineup he wants mid-season and it might include the kids.

What would you prefer? Begin-Lapierre-Kostopoulos or Pacioretty-Chipchura-Lapierre/Pacioretty-Lapierre-D'Agostini/Chipchura-Lapierre-Laraque/etc.

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev

Higgins - Koivu - Tanguay

Latendresse - Lang - Kostitsyn

Pacioretty - Chipchura/Lapierre - Laraque/D'agostini

Dont that look extremely scary for an opposing defense?

You know, I like Latendresse, and I like Pacioretty.

Injuries will happen, we were lucky last year, so

hopefully we don't have to make a decision that

quickly. We have 7 forwards that can play on the

top 3 lines. That smells trade and I not including

D'Agostini or Maxwell.

I have an idea of what Gainey will do, he's going

to make a trade, he has to.

And we'll get a top 4 D back, because thats the only

position thats an upgrade. :lol:

You know, I like Latendresse, and I like Pacioretty.

Injuries will happen, we were lucky last year, so

hopefully we don't have to make a decision that

quickly. We have 7 forwards that can play on the

top 3 lines. That smells trade and I not including

D'Agostini or Maxwell.

I have an idea of what Gainey will do, he's going

to make a trade, he has to.

And we'll get a top 4 D back, because thats the only

position thats an upgrade. :lol:

Make that 7 wingers that can play on the top 3 lines. :blink:

Time to go to bed :lol: