MLB 2008 Postseason

MMPL

Is it wrong that after despising Manny Ramirez and everything he stands for, I am now rooting for him to CRUSH the red sox in the world series?

And Colin, I can't believe that after bashing the Habs fan base you latched on to the red sox...and you guys were talking about the irony in fanpuck's statement... :wacko:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it wrong that after despising Manny Ramirez and everything he stands for, I am now rooting for him to CRUSH the red sox in the world series?

And Colin, I can't believe that after bashing the Habs fan base you latched on to the red sox...and you guys were talking about the irony in fanpuck's statement... :wacko:

Latched on? Well, I was lucky enough to go to a game of theirs long ago and I enjoyed the atmosphere. They tend to have one of the better pitching staffs out there as well on a fairly regular basis, so there's another reason. They're also the bitter, hated rivals of the New York Rangers...er...Yankees (same thing; you know, outspending everyone is the way to win). I have little interest in other Red Sox fans because I'm the only one I know.

Plus, I may have bashed Habs fans, but I am one as well. You don't have to like or respect a fan-base to like a team. ;) I'm a Liverpool fan. Hooliganism. Tifosi, and you know how fickle F1 fans are. A Fish, Steel, and Bear fan. Da Bears. Do they have bad fans too? Laker fan. 'Nuff said there. BC Lion fan - if you can call it that since Canadian football bores the teeth out of my head.

I can't help who I like, that just happens. Love is blind, right?

Latched on? Well, I was lucky enough to go to a game of theirs long ago and I enjoyed the atmosphere. They tend to have one of the better pitching staffs out there as well on a fairly regular basis, so there's another reason. They're also the bitter, hated rivals of the New York Rangers...er...Yankees (same thing; you know, outspending everyone is the way to win).

I have little interest in other Red Sox fans because I'm the only one I know.

Plus, I may have bashed Habs fans, but I am one as well. You don't have to like or respect a fan-base to like a team. ;) I'm a Liverpool fan. Hooliganism. Tifosi, and you know how fickle F1 fans are. A Fish, Steel, and Bear fan. Da Bears. Do they have bad fans too? Laker fan. 'Nuff said there. BC Lion fan - if you can call it that since Canadian football bores the teeth out of my head.

I can't help who I like, that just happens. Love is blind, right?

Some good points, didnt meant to be actually critical of who you cheer for, I just don't see a big difference between sox fans and habs fans.

The bolded part is probably my biggest issue. A lot of Sox fans seem to think that they are the little guys, fighting the evil empire that is the New York Yankees. The newsflash is that the Sox ARE the Yankees, and the nice young talent that the Sox have right now won't change my opinion on that.

When the Yanks had Jeter, Posada, Mo, Pettite, Williams leading them to a championship everyone still complained about the payroll.

Having said all this...GO ANGELS (who are clearly no better, but this is the MLB and I gotta root for someone...will they ever get their act together?)

Edited by Quebecois

Quebecois, I care little about the spending habits of the Yanks, but you are absolutely wrong about relative payroll power. The difference between the Yankees and the Red Sox (1st and 4th in payroll respectively) is about the same as the difference between the Red Sox and the Royals (4th and 25th respectively). Now I think each marginal dollar about about 100M probably has diminishing effect, and the yankees payroll indicates an over-reliance on older, injury-prone players, but if you want to talk about dollars, there ya go.

I know tons of great Habs fans, Red Sox fans, a few decent Cubs fans, and even a couple of semi-reasonable Yankees fans. Fans suck everywhere - go to an OSU, Steelers, Raiders, Flyers, Red Sox, Mets, Dodgers, or Leafs game - but there are cool fans everywhere too.

Quebecois, I care little about the spending habits of the Yanks, but you are absolutely wrong about relative payroll power. The difference between the Yankees and the Red Sox (1st and 4th in payroll respectively) is about the same as the difference between the Red Sox and the Royals (4th and 25th respectively). Now I think each marginal dollar about about 100M probably has diminishing effect, and the yankees payroll indicates an over-reliance on older, injury-prone players, but if you want to talk about dollars, there ya go.

I know tons of great Habs fans, Red Sox fans, a few decent Cubs fans, and even a couple of semi-reasonable Yankees fans. Fans suck everywhere - go to an OSU, Steelers, Raiders, Flyers, Red Sox, Mets, Dodgers, or Leafs game - but there are cool fans everywhere too.

I'm not sure where you are saying I am wrong, maybe my statement that the Sox are the Yankees? I will concede that it clearly isn't exact, but like you said, is there a big different between spending 200 million or "only" spending 130 million? Many Sox fans still see themselves as the good guys in this whole thing and it just doesn't add up.

For the record, I don't feel this way as a Jays fan. The Jays have spent their money on poor investments and are simply a mediocre to poor organization right now. Regardless of a payroll advantage, the Sox would be a better team.

I say this as a former Expos fan. I see teams like the Rockies, Indians, Twins who have no money to spend, build good teams and are forced to trade away their assets after maybe 1 or 2 years of success.

This offseason is going to be another trying time for me as a fan of MLB. Sabathia will probably go to one of the Yankees, Sox or Mets. The Rockies will probably have to deal Matt Holliday and it just goes on. C'est la vie.

Guess I'll root for the Rays and Brewers? The only teams who spent less than 98 million this year.

Yeah it is very wrong. Manny was an ignorant SOB. The fans loved him, and he always said he loved Boston. Then in about a week he started talking bad things about management (maybe they're true?) and then he is traded. Boston did not want to trade him, but Manny demanded the trade.

Shilling said Manny was garbage in the dugout.

Manny got in a scrum with Youk.

On BDSSP they asked Paps to describe the dugout without Manny, Jon said "peaceful".

I hope they crush Manny :angry:

Edited by MMPL

Oh my god, did Hunter just hurt himself getting mad at the ump?

:lol:

Oh, this is interesting. The stream I'm watching is from Sky Sports, which is a well known U.K channel. They don't call it the World Series though, just the MLB Championship series. I'm not surprised but I still found that interesting.

Edited by jetsniper

The stream I'm watching is from Sky Sports, which is a well known U.K channel.

Hey I just thought of something. Don't you have RDS? Because they are carrying the game.

Edited by MMPL

No, I don't have RDS.

The hockey game is at the halfway point of the 3rd though so I might get the 7th or 8th innings.

Nope. They went forever with the post-game and then jumped right into Sportsnet Connected.

Rage: Complete

I ######ING LOVE JD DREW!

Also, Crisp was safe. You could tell in that little magnifying glass review.

I FVING LOVE THIS TEAM! :):):)

REPEAT REPEAT!!!!!!

And how bout YOOOOOOUK's catch!

BTW, sorry to hear bout Sportsnet, bastrads :angry:

Edited by MMPL

I FVING LOVE THIS TEAM! :):):)

REPEAT REPEAT!!!!!!

And how bout YOOOOOOUK's catch!

BTW, sorry to hear bout Sportsnet, bastrads :angry:

Yeah, I went nuts at Youk's catch, that was crazy. They were hitting off everyone too and then Paps comes in during the 8th and totally shuts everything down. I'm glad I was wrong about Game 2!

The stream was alright. The commercials for odd Japanese shows were entertaining (especially seeing an ad for an old 24 season in Japanese) although I wouldn't recommend watching baseball from a computer chair. Hopefully it's better on Sunday.

So Beckett and then probably Lester at home, I don't see how we lose both games. *knock on wood*

So Beckett and then probably Lester at home, I don't see how we lose both games. *knock on wood*

Beckett for sure but I doubt Lester for gm 4. If we happen to lose game 3 then we go with Byrd/Wake so with a win we have Lester for gm 1 of ALCS. If Byrd/Wake loses you have a ready to Lester for gm 5.

I think that was the first exciting game of the postseason so far...sucks that there wasnt a single 1-1 split though...

I found gm 1 of BOS/LAA quite entertaining.

Beckett for sure but I doubt Lester for gm 4. If we happen to lose game 3 then we go with Byrd/Wake so with a win we have Lester for gm 1 of ALCS. If Byrd/Wake loses you have a ready to Lester for gm 5.

Most people are predicting Lester is gonna go if theres a Game 4. He'd be pitching on 4 days rest so it is plausible.

Most people are predicting Lester is gonna go if theres a Game 4. He'd be pitching on 4 days rest so it is plausible.

I know but I wouldn't be happy with it. Let's just hope Becks can pull out the broom :)

Hey, has it ever happened that all 4 LDS series get sweeps? Last year 3 of 4 were sweeps.

Edited by MMPL