2008 US Election

Mont Royale

While Bush may or may not be remembered for public gaffes and an apparent lack of intelligence (in the view of many), he has had significant political failures that will likely stand the test of time even if we don't think of him as "bumbling."

As to Bush's personality - quick, what does the average person know about Calvin Coolidge? Or Ulysses S. Grant? Personal flaws, if large enough, can be remembered over the long term, even to the exclusion of on the job achievements (what few there are). Does anybody remember Caligula's infrastructure policy?

We remember Nero's infrastructure policy...it was heavy on the use of fire...both for lighting and ease of demolition. ^_^

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to Bush's personality - quick, what does the average person know about Calvin Coolidge? Or Ulysses S. Grant? Personal flaws, if large enough, can be remembered over the long term, even to the exclusion of on the job achievements (what few there are). Does anybody remember Caligula's infrastructure policy?

While I understand your point, Grant probably isn't the best example to use. It's pretty well known he was a pretty heavy alcoholic and made many poor "buddy" selections to his cabinet which resulted in scandal.

While I understand your point, Grant probably isn't the best example to use. It's pretty well known he was a pretty heavy alcoholic and made many poor "buddy" selections to his cabinet which resulted in scandal.

That was the point I was making about Grant. You ask the average person for a sentence about Grant and they will say "General in the Civil War... total drunk"

I thought this was a rather amusing article...if you have totally bought into the Obama hype machine I suppose it might offend you...lol

Yeah, I know it's the Toronto Sun but Goldstein is one of their better opinion writers and, sadly, they're perhaps the only Canadian media outlet to actually question why no one is commenting on the similarities between the Conservatives here and Obama's new administration...

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnis...105761-sun.html

Oh, and todays sunshine girl looks like a really nice person too...so while you're on the site...