Carbo's contract extended

MAK

Excellent news. The article also says that the rest of the coaching staff will get extensions very soon!

BUt what I liked the most about that article is that Bob Gainey said that he was willing to negotiate contracts DURING the regular season. This is excellent news cause if we decide to wait until most of our guys become UFA's, it will cost us at least an extra 10 million$ per year to keep most of them! The sooner we get the key guys signed, the cheaper it will cost us!

Edited by Habsfan

Good to see Carbo getting some security. However, things can turn quickly in the NHL. I'd avoid giving any coach more than a three-year-deal, if it were me. Hopefully, though, Carbo can be one of those semi-permanent coaches like Jacques Lemaire, or like Paul Maurice was in Carolina for a long stretch - a coach who becomes part of the identity of a team.

As for negotiating contracts during the season, that HAS to be a no-brainer at this point. Practically the entire core of the team is slated to become UFAs. If Bob leaves it until spring he will give himself a simply impossible task.

The trick, I suppose, is to prioritize correctly without alientating or discombobulating sensitive egos. For instance, the top priority is obviously re-signing relatively young keys like Komisarek and Higgins. I'd leave potentially fat contracts to old players, like Kovalev, until the very end. But will that frustrate Kovy and get him off his game? There's the risk.

I'd leave potentially fat contracts to old players, like Kovalev, until the very end. But will that frustrate Kovy and get him off his game? There's the risk.

Who would you sign first? Kovy, Koivu or Tanguay? And WHO would you sign? All three of them? just Kovy? Just Tanguay? Just Koivu? Or maybe a combination of 2?

Edited by Habsfan

Who would you sign first? Kovy, Koivu or Tanguay? And WHO would you sign? All three of them? just Kovy? Just Tanguay? Just Koivu? Or maybe a combination of 2?

You sign Komisarek first. The rest you base on performance this year.

You sign Komisarek first. The rest you base on performance this year.

Obviously Komisarek has to be priority number 1 for Bob, but I was talking about Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay!

Which one of the 3 would you sign? DO you only sign one of them, 2 or all three of them?

I'm really glad Carbo's been extended. I remember having a really hard time with a lot of his decisions in his first year as coach, but last year he really impressed me with his flexibility and learning on the job. He's just become a really good coach.

As for Kovy, Koivu, and Tanguay, I would wait 10-15 games into the season before trying to answer which two to sign, or whether we sign all three or what to do... Obviously we don't want to wait too long on negotiating, but let's see how things go first. I feel like Koivu is the heart and soul of this team though, so I really really don't want to see him leave. I'd like to see him retire as a habs if possible.

Well, after Komi, I'd probably kick the tires of the RFAs. What sort of deals are Pleks and Higgins looking for? Do they have any interest in negotiating now, or do they want to wait for this season to play out? If they're interested, then I start that process - hopefully to lock 'em up for longish terms.

As for UFAs, I'd probably wait until January or so to see whether Koivu's numbers are still down and how Tanguay is fitting in. Then my first priority would be to sign the captain to a moderate deal. This is because of his centrality to the identity of the team. If he refuses to consider any sort of pay cut, then I shift gears and lock up Tanguay first, come back to Koivu later.

Kovalev is the player that I assume we won't be able to keep. He will likely want a raise, and given his age and career inconsistency we might have to let him go. Therefore I'd wait to see how the numbers are playing out with Komi, the RFAs and Koivu and Tanguay before getting down to brass tacks with Kovy.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Obviously Komisarek has to be priority number 1 for Bob, but I was talking about Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay!

Which one of the 3 would you sign? DO you only sign one of them, 2 or all three of them?

Well, when talking about those 3, you also have to keep Plekanec and Higgins involved there. That's 5 of our top 6, and if you add Lang and Latendresse, that's 7 of our top 9. Lang is the easiest to ignore right now. Gui has to prove something this year to get something close to a Kostitsyn type deal coming out of his rookie contract, so he can wait. We don't know how Tanguay fits within the Habs' system yet, but we do know (and value) what Kovalev and Koivu contribute. The "good" thing about Kovy and Saku is that they are exiting their primes. Their demands will probably be different, and less monetary and term based. We might even be able to let them sit without a deal like Shanahan or Selanne, or Yzerman in his later years, with the understanding that we'll fit them in at the end.

Tanguay is a complete wild card. If he fits, I guess he becomes a priority. Right now, I don't see why he would be. I think Plekanec ranks higher than him as of today.

Higgins is in a precarious situation because of our depth on the wings and his supporting role nature rather than being a primary cog. If he ups the ante, it helps his cause to become a top priority, and maybe diminishes Tanguay.

I look at it like this: Komi must stay. Plekanec must stay. Koivu and Kovy should stay. Tanguay vs. Higgins. If Gui breaks through, that might determine further changes. If Lang proves valuable, he might also be worked into a vet discount scenario.

I think we can definitely keep 5 of those 7 top 9 forwards that have contracts expiring. A sixth is also possible if we can be creative. All 7 is impossible.

I hope we can sign Higgins. He works so hard when the team isn't on a high. When we are winning, everyone on the ice plays like a superstar, but Higgins just works his butt off every shift. Regardless of the score. He has the best work ethic on the team in my opinion. I remember we went to the Nov. Leafs/Habs game last year, and my wife saying, "That Higgers guy is the only one trying." I laughed when she said Higgers, but she was right.

Edited by BCHabnut

2.5m unless he has a AK kinda year.

That would be unbelievable value. Given that Higgins brings more intangibles (e.g., leadership) I'd guess that in the $3 mil range is more likely.

That would be unbelievable value. Given that Higgins brings more intangibles (e.g., leadership) I'd guess that in the $3 mil range is more likely.

BG got us a great deal on AK46 so you never know

Edited by MMPL

Of those three, I sign Kovy first. If he's having a great season halfway through, I'd get working on the extension quickly...as his asking price would likely rise with further high production and a deep playoff run. Koivu...it will depend on what kind of season he has. If it resembles last year, I'd only sign him if it was a bargain...and he understood there'd be a likelihood he'd be our 3rd line centre going forward. Tanguay...that'd depend on how our youngsters progress this season. If our wingers come on like gangbusters, you'd have to let Tanguay walk, as the money would be better spent elsewhere.

2.5m unless he has a AK kinda year.

Agreed....unless he can finish more of the plethora of chances he gets, he cant' expect to get paid like a thirty-goal man. This is a make-or-break year for him, in terms of defining his role and pay grade.

Higgins would get $4.5m on the open market guys. No doubt in my mind.

That is a HUGE over payment.

Roston signed at 4m a year. A proven vet.

Umberger signed a 3.75. A solid two way centre.

Pascal Leclair signed 3.80. Had a very good year, young goalie.

Naslund makes 4 m.

AK46 signed at 3.5

Bertuzzi at 2m.

Bottom line, Higgins is NOT worth 4.5 even if he has a great year.

what I liked the most about that article is that Bob Gainey said that he was willing to negotiate contracts DURING the regular season. This is excellent news cause if we decide to wait until most of our guys become UFA's, it will cost us at least an extra 10 million$ per year to keep most of them! The sooner we get the key guys signed, the cheaper it will cost us!

Yep, that is good news, but I'm not jumping for joy yet.

BG got us a great deal on AK46 so you never know

I still say Bob screwed up big time with lil A.K.'s latest deal and the same reason why will continue to happen with the soon to be UFA's too. Bob is just too reluctant to take any chances with signing players to long term deals. To me a great deal on lil A.K. would have been a $40-45 million contract for 10 years with a $30-35 mil for S.K. After all lil A.K.'s current contract ends with 1 yr left till he is UFA and by that time it will be well known he is worth over double what he makes now. It is highly unlikely that he will sign another multi year deal at that time for less than what he is worth and he will probably only be a habs for that final year before he hits UFA and tests the open market. :(

Kovalev is the player that I assume we won't be able to keep. He will likely want a raise, and given his age and career inconsistency we might have to let him go.

Kovy is a wild card and who knows what will happen with him. Pesonaly I think thats all up to Kovy. Kovy says he loves Montreal and has no plans to play elsewhere so will he put his next contract where his mouth is? I am hoping he does and accepts a huge pay decrease so he can stay where he wants. Kovy is a well seasoned vet and has made a small fotrune in his career so far so he truely doesnt need to marry for money. The big question is will he say "I do" for love? :P

To me a great deal on lil A.K. would have been a $40-45 million contract for 10 years with a $30-35 mil for S.K.

Are you kidding :blink:

You expect BG to sign somebody to 10 years. So many things wrong with that...

Edited by MMPL

Hopefully the centennial year hoopla and playing with a contender results in our potential RFAs wanting to stay in Montreal. If it were me I would rather earn $3m to work where I really want to, than move out because I could score $4m somewhere else. But that's me.

Did anyone catch the video on TSN about the signing. The media is crowding Gainey and they ask him if he could elaborate on the length of the contract. He gives a solid NO! and doesn't even crack a smile as the media guy and a few others give out a very uncomfortable laugh and chuckle.

Thanks Gainey for shutting down the posse. God! they are worse then the posse that follows Britany Spears around. I get it, but man Gainey just looks so annoyed when he says no.

Did anyone catch the video on TSN about the signing. The media is crowding Gainey and they ask him if he could elaborate on the length of the contract. He gives a solid NO! and doesn't even crack a smile as the media guy and a few others give out a very uncomfortable laugh and chuckle.

Thanks Gainey for shutting down the posse. God! they are worse then the posse that follows Britany Spears around. I get it, but man Gainey just looks so annoyed when he says no.

The Media in Montreal especially the French are terribly annoying.

Are you kidding :blink:

You expect BG to sign somebody to 10 years. So many things wrong with that...

I actually don't have much of a problem with those deals. Over the second half of that contract (and even some of the first half), he'd be very underpaid. Kostitsyn has the potential to be worth 7+ million dollars one day. These long-term deals are becoming the future of the cap era - it's the only way to afford and sustain a team full of good, young players. Ten years might be a bit too much, but 5-8 year deals on 24 year olds with no history of injuries is a pretty safe gamble.

I hope we can sign Higgins. He works so hard when the team isn't on a high. When we are winning, everyone on the ice plays like a superstar, but Higgins just works his butt off every shift. Regardless of the score. He has the best work ethic on the team in my opinion. I remember we went to the Nov. Leafs/Habs game last year, and my wife saying, "That Higgers guy is the only one trying." I laughed when she said Higgers, but she was right.

That's so true.

Of those three, I sign Kovy first. If he's having a great season halfway through, I'd get working on the extension quickly...as his asking price would likely rise with further high production and a deep playoff run. Koivu...it will depend on what kind of season he has. If it resembles last year, I'd only sign him if it was a bargain...and he understood there'd be a likelihood he'd be our 3rd line centre going forward. Tanguay...that'd depend on how our youngsters progress this season. If our wingers come on like gangbusters, you'd have to let Tanguay walk, as the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Agreed....unless he can finish more of the plethora of chances he gets, he cant' expect to get paid like a thirty-goal man. This is a make-or-break year for him, in terms of defining his role and pay grade.

Guys, you make it sound like he didn't score 27 last year...He's not that far from 30 goals. What would be so wrong with paying him for 30 goals... He'll probably get them - or very close to that - this year....