P.Traverse leaves Habs for Dallas

Habs13

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=98123

Stars sign D Traverse

Sports Ticker

9/9/2004

DALLAS (Ticker) - The Dallas Stars on Thursday signed journeyman defenseman Patrick Traverse to a one-year contract.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Selected by Ottawa in the third round of the 1992 draft, Traverse spent the entire 2003-04 season with Hamilton of the American Hockey League, collecting five goals and 21 assists in 80 games.

A native of Montreal, the 30-year-old last appeared in the NHL with the Canadiens, recording 13 assists and 24 penalty minutes in 65 games in 2002-03.

In 278 career games with the Senators, Anaheim, Boston and Montreal, Traverse has 14 goals, 51 assists and 113 penalty minutes.

Aaaaarrgh!

Where was Savard? What the hell has he been doing this summer?

We need another 6/7th defenseman! Traverse was perfect! Gaaaaah!

But seriously, good for Travesty International, er, Traverse. Maybe he can help the Habs beat Dallas in a few months time...

You know what's interesting about this signing? There's a high probability that Traverse is going to wind up playing for the same team he did last season, the AHL's Hamilton Bulldogs.

Dallas' newest affiliate in Idaho doesn't begin play until next season, so Dallas will be sending 7 players to us, including 2 d-men I believe.

Of course, there isn't a guarantee he'll be sent to us, they also have an affiliation in Houston, and of course there's the possibility that he may crack the Stars, assuming there is a season.

Believe it or not, there's a decent chance of that happening. The Stars are pretty weak depth-wise at that position. Here's their depth chart of players under contract, without Traverse:

Zubov

Boucher

Klemm

Sweeney

Daley

Erskine

Jancevski

MacMillan

Berenzweig

I could easily see Traverse cracking that top-7 if and when the NHL season starts. Here's hoping he's headed to Houston though, considering the unlikelyhood of there being a season for a while.

IMHO Beauchemin has earned and deserves a real long look.

I have watched him the last couple of years in Hamilton and without doubt last year he was the Bulldogs best man on D. Solid positional player, moved adn handled the puck well, doesn't have Hainsey's size but plays the physical game real well (much better than Hainsey, Traverse or Dykhuis did last year).

I agree with the comments about giving Beauchemin a go, but look at the depth chart:

Markov

Souray

Brisebois

Komisarek

Rivet

Bouillion

Hainsey

Beauchemin comes in at #8, and even then he's still the 5th LD on the team (HW Depth Chart). The chance of him playing is slim to none.

I'd prefer us to trade for a young RD who can take Rivet's spot in a year or two. That is, if Archer or O'Byrne don't make some substantial progress.

Originally posted by Guy10

Traverse a good NHL hockey player??????

Gimme a break he's lucky to be strating in the AHL.

He's good enough for the Stars defence, this team is just a bunch of crap (except Lehtinen). :puke: :D

Anyways good to see that Traverse is gone, he just was a waste of money, nothing else. Now it's only time for "Dyke House" to say good bye. :P