Centennial Season Opener: Habs vs Sabres Oct 10

JLP

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't underestimate the Bruins.

Despite the injuries, they pushed us to a game 7.

This season, Bergeron is back, Manny Fernandez is healthy

Ryder is gonna be super motivated against us, and Julien is a great coach.

Plus, Ryder played fairly well under Julien in Montreal.

I didnt said the Bruins were a bad team, I said I didnt LIKE them ;)

I don't know why you people are going on and on about breezy.. he is a depth D and has not been that bad tonight... obyrne has been brutal, Komi has been beat wide a bunch of times, and georges has been less then stellar...

Breezy is decent 4 on 4 and makes a great first pass, that is why he is out there in OT... He is at least number 4 when it comes to play tonight, and certainly when it comes to making use of open ice.

Well first game.. first shootout...

Normally I would be giving a big edge to Price, but miller is on tonight! Going to be a battle...

I am not "on" breezy but he hasn"t been a 4th defenceman for 4 years and he is tooooooo prone to boneheaded plays in his own zone, for depth yes, in o/t NO! but hey it is just my opinion having watched him his entire career. Carey has got to be pissed at himself and at the team that couldn't hit the net all night. He carried them all night it seemed to me bailing them out time after time and he deserved a better fate but hey its the 1st game of the season and probably the last time we will be in last place. :ghg: :clap:

Edited by habs rule

The 1 point tonight is owed to Lang and Price.

I couldnt agree more on that.

I am not "on" breezy but he hasn"t been a 4th defenceman for 4 years and he is tooooooo prone to boneheaded plays in his own zone, for depth yes, in o/t NO! but hey it is just my opinion having watched him his entire career. Carey has got to be pissed at himself and at the team that couldn't hit the net all night. He carried them all night it seemed to me bailing them out time after time and he deserved a better fate but hey its the 1st game of the season and probably the last time we will be in last place. :ghg: :clap:

Breezy was number 4 tonight, especially on PP. Markov, Hammer, Komi, and Hammer. Georges and O'byrne were stuggling and are not really offensively gifted, imo.

I would get used to seeing him in OT and on the PP, and hopefully less in good old 5 on 5.

Sloppy to say the least. The Koivu line was invisible. Pleky line might have to carry us for a couple weeks while they find some chemistry, either that or they'll have to switch the lines up (not a big fan of having Tangs and Koivu on the same line to begin with).

Great game from Lang though which was a pleasant surprise.

Let's beat those laffs.

We looked a bit off tonight, I expect better tomorrow. Like everyone else has said, Lang and Price played a hell of a game. I didn't think Breezer was worse than anyone else. The Pleks line needs to shoot more.

The pressure's on in TO.

Go Habs Go!

Entertaining game, too bad we couldn't come away with two points. The shot totals don't really tell the story, we probably had at least as many chances as the Sabres, but couldn't capitalize. Price was solid, but did a Huet impersonation in the shootout.

It was good to see the Lang line work well. Koivu's line didn't do much of anything, Tanguay and Lats were pretty useless.

Utter disaster. Showed a complete lack of character. Fault has to be laid on Koivu for being an obviously horrible captain, on Carbonneau for being unable to motivate the team, and on Gainey for chosing players who didn't care enough. With Huet, we would have won the game 1-0.

Trade Koivu.

Trade Carbonneau.

Fire Gainey.

Okay, I didn't watch it.

Utter disaster. Showed a complete lack of character. Fault has to be laid on Koivu for being an obviously horrible captain, on Carbonneau for being unable to motivate the team, and on Gainey for chosing players who didn't care enough. With Huet, we would have won the game 1-0.

Trade Koivu.

Trade Carbonneau.

Fire Gainey.

^_^

Okay, I didn't watch it.

Trade Koivu.

Trade Carbonneau.

Fire Gainey.

Okay, I didn't watch it.

^_^

Breezy was number 4 tonight, especially on PP. Markov, Hammer, Komi, and Hammer. Georges and O'byrne were stuggling and are not really offensively gifted, imo.

I would get used to seeing him in OT and on the PP, and hopefully less in good old 5 on 5.

well I could only listen to the game and was not able to watch it but ole breezy has broken my heart too many times in critical situations :lol: :ghg:

Can't remember who. but someone predicted we wouldn't win the whole first week cuz we always lose to buf on the road, always lose to TO... etc... and then that things would get better after that... It's not the end of the world what happened tonight. Season is 82 games long... Of course we want to win every game, but in terms of true relevance, well, TO beat Detroit in their first game; which of those teams do you like's odds of winning the cup this year...

Special teams and my two goats.

Power play set up was not good.

I still don't like Markov as a right D and main shooter on the PP.

He is the perfect set up men.

Penalty killing was very good, especially on the stupid penalties of Bégin.

Bégin :puke: , if that was the way to redeem himself from that stupid penalry inhte playoffs

last year we are way better off without him. I want Stewart. Same intensity, more speed.

Dandenault : Somebody else noticed that he chose shooting 4 feet wide to the net instead of shooting

in the third ? If that is depth, it is way to deep to be depth.

Special teams and my two goats.

Power play set up was not good.

I still don't like Markov as a right D and main shooter on the PP.

He is the perfect set up men.

Penalty killing was very good, especially on the stupid penalties of Bégin.

Bégin :puke: , if that was the way to redeem himself from that stupid penalry inhte playoffs

last year we are way better off without him. I want Stewart. Same intensity, more speed.

Dandenault : Somebody else noticed that he chose shooting 4 feet wide to the net instead of shooting

in the third ? If that is depth, it is way to deep to be depth.

I don't like Markov on the right point either. I don't understand it.

I also don't understand why so many of you are screaming, "the sky is falling"!!!!!!! There are a lot of positive things from last night's game.

-Latendresse looks immeasurably faster.

-The koivu line showed small glimpses of possible greatness. Give them some time.

-Kovalev looks too fast!

-Price was great. He got beat in the shootout because he was overplaying his glove side - apparently his weakness :wacko:

-Lang worked hard and has some great hockey sense. When that line drops Kostopolous and gains Latendresse, look out.

The only poor performance in my mind was O'bryne. The guy was really bad :puke: Other players had mistakes but they weren't bad.

First game...

Anybody wanna see the Kovy/Lang line?

Not yet. I'd like to see AKost-Pleks-Kovalev find their rhythm. If they inexplicably can't do it after a half dozen games, try to switch things up. They weren't great last night (AKost was pretty invisible), but give it time.

I'm confident O'Byrne will re-adjust to the speed of the game as the season goes on. Same with Koivu, who started off tentatively but improved as the game went on (in his case, it's more because he didn't see much pre-season action).

Maybe it's because I'm in a good mood because I finally got RDS, but I don't think yesterday was a bad game for the Habs. We have some injuries (and other players finding their rhythm after dealing with injuries) but they competed well. I would really, really like to see a W tonight, however... or else Thanksgiving with my Leaf-fan brother-in-law won't be nearly as fun. :)

Tough opening night against the Sabs. Here are some of my thoughts:

Price was solid in net keeping the Sabs to 1 goal, not including shootout.

Lang was the Habs best player, creating many chances. S.Kosty looked to have the same spark.

Pleks seemed to be flying and making plays for his teammates, easily could have had a few assists. AK and Kovy need to pick it up a little, but i think this line will be fine and light up the scoreboard.

Tanguay seemed to struggle and let's give him some time to mesh with Koivu.

Stupid penalties on Begin, especially the 2nd one. Sit him down for tonite.

The d looked slow at times. Breezer seemed to have a rough night with a couple of giveaways and looked a step behind the play. OB also looked slow.

At least they got a point tonite. After Lang scored, i thought the Habs would light it up.

Personally what I saw last night was quite simple:

The Montreal Canadiens were clearly the superior team, but lacked coordination and line chemistry. The Sabres played better, but their talent level is obviously not on par with the Canadiens. So basically, we just need to be a little patient, and things should be just fine very soon. I haven't seen anything last night that worries me for this season.

On a side note, I hope last night was not a typical Alex Tanguay game, otherwise he's in for a very long season...