Higgins on the 3rd line upon his return

MAK

You don't think they would play well together?

Assuming that's directed to my comment, I don't think it would be in the best interest of the team to pair them together. They're easily among the slowest forwards on the team, so it would make sense to pair them up with faster skaters to detract from that deficiency in their game. Also, I think Lats has softer hands around the net than Higgins does and fits Koivu and Tanguay a little better. I also think it's important to let Higgins prove to everyone that he can produce while not being in Koivu's shadow, a feat he hasn't quite accomplished yet.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope as this could give Gainey the opportunity not to resign Alex Kovalev, and to better invest his money elsewhere. However, these kids need to step up, especially Andrei Kostsitsyn who would be more or less taking Kovalev's spot as the offensive leader. This is why I would like to see AK46 eventually be the game-breaker on his own line, perhaps with Koivu and Tanguay (Latendresse could play with Plekanec and Kovalev).

The money saved will be Capt Smurfs,( no, I do like him alot, but out of the 2....) not the new captains. Incase you didn't notice, he has been the real leader since last year this time.

Funny, Lang is not another Samsonov/Smolinski like so many predicted......

Assuming that's directed to my comment, I don't think it would be in the best interest of the team to pair them together. They're easily among the slowest forwards on the team, so it would make sense to pair them up with faster skaters to detract from that deficiency in their game. Also, I think Lats has softer hands around the net than Higgins does and fits Koivu and Tanguay a little better. I also think it's important to let Higgins prove to everyone that he can produce while not being in Koivu's shadow, a feat he hasn't quite accomplished yet.

This would be my line-up too but -

Gui has lost some more weight and has improved his skating. As Colin would put it, he no longer needs to bump into boards when he wants to turn. Lang is pretty slow but he uses his size and skill - much in the same way Kovalev does - to counter that. I don't think using them together with Sergei would hurt the team. But while the top line is producing so well, we may as well throw Higgins on the third and just balance out our depth.

Funny, Lang is not another Samsonov/Smolinski like so many predicted......

Samsonov and Smolinski were totally incomparable situations but I don't think there was ever really any legitimate reason to think Lang would be like Smoke. Smolinski was an ex-20 goal player who'd become a decent bottom line forward, while Lang was still coming off a 20 goal season with a much weaker team than our own.

Canadian Press reporting Higgins (and Bouillon) will not play tonight. Carbo says he has no reason to play them until there are absolutely 100% healthy.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/AL...lPagjb9fRH435LQ

Probably prudent... but damn, my fantasy pool team is beset by injuries, and I was hoping to have at least Higgins back for tonight!

aye that kind of lineup makes me regret the good old times where oleg petrov and sergei zholtok were on 1st line :P haha

ahhh the good ol' days of the triple Z line with Zubrus !!

They took an assist away from Sergei to award it to Latendresse instead.

Actually they took the assist from Lats and awarded it to Sergei.

Sergei wasn't even on the ice when the goal was scored, Lats was the one who

cycled the puck to Koivu before he fed it to Komisarek.

Canadian Press reporting Higgins (and Bouillon) will not play tonight. Carbo says he has no reason to play them until there are absolutely 100% healthy.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/AL...lPagjb9fRH435LQ

or "no reason to play him by precaution measures until he's traded" ?

I really really like Higgins, but Gaborik is a first-class scorer. Gaborik would fit really well on the line with our 2 first-class playmakers.

This would be my line-up too but -

Gui has lost some more weight and has improved his skating. As Colin would put it, he no longer needs to bump into boards when he wants to turn. Lang is pretty slow but he uses his size and skill - much in the same way Kovalev does - to counter that. I don't think using them together with Sergei would hurt the team. But while the top line is producing so well, we may as well throw Higgins on the third and just balance out our depth.

Yeah, Gui's speed has improved and I'm quite happy with it, but there's some other intangibles as well that I mentioned. I think we would still do very well with Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay and Latendresse-Lang-Kostitsyn, but in my opinion slotting Higgins onto the third is a more optimal lineup.

ahhh the good ol' days of the triple Z line with Zubrus !!

I could be wrong, but weren't Zubrus and Zholtok (or at least one of them) part of the trade package that gave us Zednik?

While the thought of Gaborik on the team this year makes me drool, I think having 8M+ players long-term is not a formula for success. You need depth to be a cup contender, and that's just not possible when you pay guys near the league max. Picking up an 8M guy who's a rental player at the deadline makes sense though, as long as the price isn't ridiculous.

As much as I love Gaborik, I don't want him on our team unless he's as a cheap rental. He's going to want too much money for a longterm contract and his history of injuries is worrisome. That, and like you mentioned, having a high-paid superstar is not the formula for success in the "new NHL." If we can get him near the deadline for a reasonable deal though, I'd be tempted. But considering how much depth we have on the wings both now and in the near future, I'm not sure if we'd really need him for anything more than a Cup run.

Playing Higgins with Plekanek and Kovalev would be the best solution for

Higgins to stop thinking and start playing hockey at a high level.

Still the rumor of Gaborik went straight to him. Every damn rumor go straight to him.

Being inactive and seing the team winning is frustrating, seeing your name again in the

paper you must feel totally armless.

With AK46 out and Plekanek on the need to get a jump start it would be profitable for all

these three guys to get going together and play a straight to the net style of hockey instead of

fancy doodle pop. And Higgins could bring that to that line.

Playing Higgins with Plekanek and Kovalev would be the best solution for

Higgins to stop thinking and start playing hockey at a high level.

Still the rumor of Gaborik went straight to him. Every damn rumor go straight to him.

Being inactive and seing the team winning is frustrating, seeing your name again in the

paper you must feel totally armless.

With AK46 out and Plekanek on the need to get a jump start it would be profitable for all

these three guys to get going together and play a straight to the net style of hockey instead of

fancy doodle pop. And Higgins could bring that to that line.

You know, that's interesting perspective but we don't actually know that he's lost confidence. I think I would try SKost with on the "1st line" first, and Higgy with Lang, and then IF that doesn't work, switch them back up....

Interesting thought to put Higgins with Plex and Kovy... not just temporary, but even from a long term if the old #1 line struggles. There are a lot of options available for this team, that's one combo I hadn't really considered. That would put the Kostitsyn brothers with Lang.

One line will be deignated to shut down the habs hot line. The difference now is they have depth in all areas and scoring from all the lines. So as we have seen, you shut one down, there are othe rlines who can score, i beleive at least 4 goals per game besides the opener in Buffalo.

Depth is a nice problem to have.

HEard on the radio this morning, that Higgins will be playing on the 3rd line with Lang tonight. Sergei will be playing on the 1st line instead of his brother!

Edited by Habsfan

God dammit! According to RDS.ca, HIggins will NOT play tonight. I don't like this one bit. They better not trade him away!

I don't believe Higgins will be traded at this time. IMO, if we were in the play offs, he would be playing. The team doing so well at the start of the season, why dress him when he is not 100% healthy?

Rumours are just that: rumours. 99% of them don't come true. Gaborik won't be playing in Mtl.

JC Petit

God dammit! According to RDS.ca, HIggins will NOT play tonight. I don't like this one bit. They better not trade him away!

I wouldn't read too much into it. The article says he hasn't got the green light from the doctors to play. Don't buy into the rumours.

I wouldn't read too much into it. The article says he hasn't got the green light from the doctors to play. Don't buy into the rumours.

I agree.

Gainey wont trade an alternate Captain and part of the core of the youth for Gaobirk. Not because Gaborik is not a great player but because he is a band aid and Minny could be poised for a run of their own this year as in my opinion they are one of the best if not the bet team in their division.