2009 World Junior Championship thread

I dunno but Mcdo didn't impress me much yet, still to see how he will do in a close game against Canada.

But from what i've seen he is not offensive enough to notice him and he is not big enough for bone

crushing hits but he is good enought so we don't notice him.

Kristo however as wheels, pretty impressive for his age the way he plays at this level

the speed and combativity he has, good mix.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouf a 15-0 win for team Canada!

Subban with 2 goals.

I didn't like the quote: "We don't want to run up the score but we've got the goal differential rule to worry about." :rolleyes:

I didn't like the quote: "We don't want to run up the score but we've got the goal differential rule to worry about." :rolleyes:

What's not to like, it's true.

If Canada isn't the best team they don't get the free pass to the Semi's. Do you think the Russians or Americans would hold back once the game is at hand?

What's not to like, it's true.

If Canada isn't the best team they don't get the free pass to the Semi's. Do you think the Russians or Americans would hold back once the game is at hand?

Your goal differential's 22-1, you're winning the game 14-0 and you need to score that extra goal? They've all but locked up the tie-breaking goal differential.

I think we have four of our draft picks playing at the World Juniors. I've seen PK Subban, and he seems to be doing well, especially with his amazing end to end rush Monday night. But does anyone know how our other picks are doing, especially McDonough [sp??]?

McDonagh seems to have a quiet tournatment, he's +5

Kristo scored yesterday and he's +3

Torp is +2 with an assist

Subban has apparently taken his game up a notch. he's +10 with 5 points in 3 games. he made an awesome end to end rush for a teammate to score and gave a kick in Canada's butt when they needed it the most !!

Subban has been a monster performer for Canada in this tourney: 2goals, 6assists, +12 in 4 games!

He sure out performed McDonagh last night! PK has definitely shown more than most expected.

Any idea how much ice time he logged last night?

He seemed to be out there every shift.

Regular shift and then all that PP time adds up.

John Tavares is the number 1 pick this year or whoever has it are foolish!

He is more than living up to his hype.

What should Bob move draft day to get him?

That was the most exciting hockey game that I have seen in years.

PK Subban is a real treat to watch. His puck control on the PP is outstanding and his end to end rushes with the puck are a thing of beauty.

McDonagh had some great moments but I can't comment too much on him as my eyes were glued to the magic that is team Canada.

He sure out performed McDonagh last night! PK has definitely shown more than most expected.

Subban is definitely a player. I was quite confident that he had a future with the Habs, now I think he will be in the line up next year. The kid has all the tools (speed, shot, grit, enthusiasm) to become an impact player. Let's hope he will only get better.

Obviously, McDonough is not as comfortable as Subban at the same level. It will take a few years for him to get ready.

Kristo is an interesting prospect. He's got wheels and doesn't back off when the play gets rough. I guess he will be back with Team USA next year.

I am curious to see Torp. He must have improved quite a bit since he was drafted (in the late rounds if I remember well).

All in all, it's good news for the Habs fans to see such talent at the international level. Remember, for years we were lucky to have one prospect in the tournament.

JCPetit

carey Price !! I'm not saying he shoudl but thats what people will ask for him.

I was at the game against the US.

PK was unreal I can not wait for him to be in Hamilton and eventually the Habs.

He leads the tourney in +/- and is also the best offensive D man in the tourney (tied with Shattenkirk)

but the most impressive thing his PK's defensive game which has appeared to progress light years in a short p[period of time.

Hard to say but if you asked last season who to choose between Subban and Weber, I would have picked Subban without hesitation.

Weber has done some great strides in the AHL don't get me wrong but he simply wasn't reliable defensively as Subban in juniors. Maybe because PK was paired with Nigel Williams?

Subban is certainly a really goooood pick for the Habs and I can't wait for next training camp. But at this season's training camp, mostly during preseason games (I saw 2 at the Bell Centre and I think 2 others on tv) Weber was ahead of Subban in pretty much every categories except skating. Subban's decisions and moves with the puck were not even AHL level at this time of the year.

Look like Subban improved his game a lot this season and this is really gooooood news for the Habs.

I didn't see the game. I don't know if it was on TV or not but were McDonagh or Kristo 'contributors' to the elimination of the US squad?

During the Canada/US game, I thought that Kristo did pretty well for a 4th liner and McDonagh held the fort on his side of the ice pretty well. He did have the unfortunate broken stick thing that led to Tavares' second goal but, the goals that took place in scrums in front of the net took place on the other side of the net. McDonagh held his place keeping 'an eye' on the Canadian player on his side of the net.

Now, back to the original question... were McDonagh & Kristo ineffective in the game or was it more a matter of McCollum's goaltending weakness and the big shooters not coming through when needed or....

GO :hlogo: G0!

I watched partially the game. I thought it was more a team choke than our players. McCollum's play today wasn't as good as a 1rst rounder should be in this kind of tournament.

The Americans are producing more and more great individual talents, however their international coaching/management staff seems to be having a lot of trouble building and managing competitive teams to face other countries. For the last few years the Americans have had some of the best teams on paper, some years perhaps the best, but they always seem to lack something.

I am curious to see Torp. He must have improved quite a bit since he was drafted (in the late rounds if I remember well).

The majority of people at the game I got to go to thought I was crazy because I was cheering Torp big time.

I was in the 2nd row aboot 5 feet from the goal line. At 1 point 1 Rus player had the puck in the corner and was hanging onto it and Torp was watching him from a distance and I stood up and waved him towards me and screamed out "hit him Torp hit him" as loud as I could and Torp didnt have any problems obliging me. :D

I tried making a Torp sign but I wasnt able to make one that looked decent enough. Even if I had taken a sign all the cameras were on the same side I was on anyway.

One of Torp's hits was semi questionable and everybody booed and wanted a penalty called but I was standing cheering. Torp isnt a big guy but he seems to love hitting, especially open ice hits.

I definitely like what I have seen of Torp but I think he needs to play more on better teams. From what I have read he doesnt get a lot of minutes on the team he is on in Sweden.

What a final !!!

I knew how thatTavares kid was good but now I know how clutch he is.

Will be a tough game against Sweden !!

What a game!

I love that Subban. He is already an exciting player. His play is so much better than last year. The first pass is always on the tape. His rushes are intimidating, his enthusiasm irresistible. And those spinoramas, once he will know when to time them, they will be far from a liability but will open excellent opportunities on the power play.

P.K.! The young would crack MTL's line up easily this year. That's how good he has become.

JMHO

P.S. -- BTW, I watched Torp today and I really liked his play. He had a nice shot on the net on the goal refused at the end of the 2nd. He plays the body, but knows how to pass the puck. A good prospect, definitely. A bonus, as far as I am concerned.

Edited by JCPetit

I finally have calmed enough done to write. What a game. I almost jumped through the roof when Canada tied it up with 5 sec to go. I was talking to someone on the phone at the time and they must of been deaf after I stopped yelling. After the shootout win i just could't calm done. I was jumping all over the place.

What a hell of a hockey game. Dare i say best all time Canada Junior game. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess we'll see how they do after vs Sweden for Gold!!!

On a side note, I was very dissapointed with Canada's goalie. He did not look very good tonight.

Subban is a glory to watch, absolutely electrifying - by some distance the most exciting player for either team in a Canada-Russia tilt, which really speaks to an incredible skill level. On the other hand, he is also capable of some total howlers (like the preposterous spinarama giveaway earlier in the game) that are a direct offshoot of his willingness to take risks. What I dearly hope is that he can retain that dashing, devil-may-care offensive style in the face of the inevitable battery of coaches who will try to beat it out of him in the name of defensive reliability. There's no doubt in my mind that he is a potential offensive catalyst from the back end...but first he'll need to add enough defensive steadiness to neutralize the coaches (and, potentially, merciless Montreal fans who refuse to forgive mistakes, c.f. Brisebois/O'Byrne).

Incredible win by Canada. Just incredible. :clap: