Save the Gazette!

MMPL

From Eric Engles:

The Montreal Gazette is the last reputable newspaper representing English Montreal. Don't let it die! Please join me in supporting your favourite writers, such as Red Fisher, Pat Hickey, Dave Stubbs, and Mike Boone in order to ensure you don't have to read news about the Habs from someone living in Calgary!

This is awful :(

Sign the petition here now:

Edited by MMPL

I could discuss this topic for pages and pages but what's the point? A petition won't change the paper's fate -- a mighty subscription spike might get some attention at head office but it's only a matter of time. The Gazette will probably limp along for a little while but sadly newspapers as we knew them are an endangered species. There was an 80s song called "Video Killed the Radio Star" -- changing times are also killing the independent city newspaper. It was television news that sounded the clarion, then corporate ownership moved editorial away from the community, and now the quick and custom content of the internet is dealing the death blow.

And KoZed I wouldn't give Quebec's French papers much longer either. One thing leads to another -- subscriptions are falling and production costs are rising -- you do the math.

I could discuss this topic for pages and pages but what's the point? A petition won't change the paper's fate -- a mighty subscription spike might get some attention at head office but it's only a matter of time. The Gazette will probably limp along for a little while but sadly newspapers as we knew them are an endangered species. There was an 80s song called "Video Killed the Radio Star" -- changing times are also killing the independent city newspaper. It was television news that sounded the clarion, then corporate ownership moved editorial away from the community, and now the quick and custom content of the internet is dealing the death blow.

And KoZed I wouldn't give Quebec's French papers much longer either. One thing leads to another -- subscriptions are falling and production costs are rising -- you do the math.

100 % correct !!

I will add that we should save the rainforests, not the newspapers!!

I signed the petition. Even though I do read the news on the Internet, I always prefer reading my news from Newspapaers...whether it be in French or in English!

I signed the petition. Even though I do read the news on the Internet, I always prefer reading my news from Newspapaers...whether it be in French or in English!

Me too! And when I was in Montréal recently I delighted in casse croute mornings eating oeuf and roti w/café while the Journal de Montréal blackened my fingers. And I love the Gazette. As a teen I delivered it through cold winter mornings and as an adult I wrote for it. But the times are changing -- and I don't mean to suggest I think they are changing for the better. I wish the Gazette well, but from what I've seen over the last decade, neither wishes nor nostalgia nor petitions will save the independent city newspaper.

I will some day.

to start:

Bonjour! Je m'appelle MMPL. Comment allez-vous?

Then there are only about 12 French hockey words to learn. KoZed can instruct you in those.

(If only Saku knew KoZed . . .)

NObody says that in Québec unless you are talking to your boss!!

I recommend: " Bonjour. Je m'appelle MMPL, Comment ça va?"

;);)

That's true for everything printed on paper regardless of where you are. But newspapers wont altogether dissapear. Not as long as there will be advertisers willing to pay for space. There will be lot of merging and stuff like that, but there's a large portion of baby-boomers & Generation X people who still want to have something they can hold in their hands and read.

In the case of the Gazette, I think you can put much blame on an indifferent, West-centric CanWest corporation. The Gazette should probably just go at it as an independant journal like Le Devoir has done. They struggled to survive, but at least they survived.

Habsfan and JLP, its "Hello my name is MMPL"

That's all I know, so I need the Gazette! Even if you don't like it or think there is no hope, vote for the hell of it ;)

Wow, another big change in my beloved Montreal. My sentimental side says save the paper me and my brother delivered as kids in the 60's/70's...I remember what a shock it was to see The Montreal Star cease. My practical side says newspapers, all of them are dinosaurs and wasteful...still, my sentimental side is screaming NNNNOOOOOOOOO!

I still love the paper but then again if subscriptions are so high in price then they will be obselite and i will have to go to the Internet. I already do pretty much now since we are in a day in age when we need the updated infro not the info up to 12:00 the night before.

to start:

Then there are only about 12 French hockey words to learn. KoZed can instruct you in those.

(If only Saku knew KoZed . . .)

Saku is probably fluent in french, he's just not as worried about it like most other peeps on how and when he should use it.

That's true for everything printed on paper regardless of where you are. But newspapers wont altogether dissapear. Not as long as there will be advertisers willing to pay for space. There will be lot of merging and stuff like that, but there's a large portion of baby-boomers & Generation X people who still want to have something they can hold in their hands and read.

In the case of the Gazette, I think you can put much blame on an indifferent, West-centric CanWest corporation. The Gazette should probably just go at it as an independant journal like Le Devoir has done. They struggled to survive, but at least they survived.

True for the next little while, but if nobody is picking up the paper your advertising dollars will go farther online, on a bus, or a billboard etc....... I think companies are seeing this and not getting newspaper adds, hence the problem. Times are changing. All news papers and magazines are really starting to feel the pinch of the new world.

Look at even the Hockey News and magazines like it. I used to love getting that paper, but who wants news that is 2 even three months old. Internet is taking over.