Pavel Valentenko leaves Hamilton

habscout

The habsinsideout.com website just posted this news article:

http://habsinsideout.com/main/10185

In it, they reference a translated page from a Russian website, that says Valentenko has signed a 3 year contract with the Moscow Dynamo. The Habsinsideout site also mentions that the Bulldogs gave Pavel permission to take an indefinite leave to travel back to Russia for "family matters". If Montreal wants to retain Valentenko, then I hope that the NHL fights this dispute with the KHL, since this "defection" obviously took place after the NHL/KHL/IIHF transfer agreement, or whatever they call it, was signed last summer. This matter is unlike the Radulov "defection", since the timing of that dispute coincided with the the the signing of the agreement.

Here is the URL for translating the Russian website to english:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...sl=ru&tl=en

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://habsinsideout.com/main/10185

The Moscow Dynamo website is report this morning that Canadiens defence prospect Pavel Valentenko has signed a three-year deal with that Russian club. We're checking into the details, passing along the Dynamo report in the meantime.

The Bulldogs this week had given the highly-touted 21-year-old an indefinite leave to attend to family matters back in Russia.

wow. I guess he really hates Hamilton. I hope this guy never talks to Emelin.

He probably has been planning this since he didn't make the Habs out of camp. He must not feel he's part of our plans and sees no reason to stay. Not to mention the money.

Let him go. If players don't want to play or work to get to the NHL then good ridance. I wasn't that impressed with him anyway.

His situation is irrelavant to Emelin. Each situation is Different.

Let him go. If players don't want to play or work to get to the NHL then good ridance. I wasn't that impressed with him anyway.

His situation is irrelavant to Emelin. Each situation is Different.

my feelings are the same. he dissapointed alot of people at training camp.

it's not like he was our number one on the depth chart. it's unfortunate that we lose our only legit tough D in hamilton but I have faith that Trevor and the boys will find one in June.

I can understand a guy being home sick and knowing he could get prime bucks in russia, I would probably do the same.

I wish he'd stay a bit longer to give a good shot at being the best he could until at least the end of the season and maybe get a game or two in the NHL.

Here's an article i found on cyberpresse.ca this morning. According to the article, Moscow Dynamo announced on its web site that they have just Signed Valentenko to a 3 year deal. The 21 year old d-man, made the jump to North america last season after having spent the last 2 previous seasons in the Russian Super league.

I don't know if there's any truth to this article, but I hope it isn't true. Even though Valentenko had a tough training camp, i want to see him in a Habs uniform soon!

More to come...

here's the link!

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...r-en-russie.php

Pavel Valentenko de retour en Russie?

Le club du Dynamo Moscou indique sur son site internet avoir signé pour les trois prochaines saisons l'espoir du Canadien, Pavel Valentenko.

Âgé de 21 ans, le défenseur a fait le saut en Amérique du Nord la saison dernière après deux ans passée dans la défunte Super Ligue russe.

Sous l'uniforme des Bulldogs d'Hamilton, il a inscrit un but et amassé 15 passes en 57 rencontres.

Après un camp d'entraînement difficile, il avait été retranché le 30 septembre dernier.

Plus de détails à venir...

Edited by Habsfan

The IIHF has no choice but to get off thier hands and get involved with sanctions in every way possible against the Russian leagues. With any luck the courts in N.A and europe will hand out stiff penalties as well (but I'm not counting on it)

I hope the agents of these players explained that the NHL will never be a possibilty again.

Turnabout is fair play. I agree there needs to be an agreement, but what's happening now is really now different from guys defecting from Russia to the US. The NHL has been bringing guys under contract in Russia over for years.

I get what your saying, but how many of the Russians that defected to N.A. were forced contracts?

If you can't come up with a number it's 90- 100%.

The most recent was Malkin and they were holding his passport so he couldn't leave russia when he didn't have a contract! (he was forced to sign a 2 year deal so he could get his passport back and travel with the team again)

now tell me how many Russians have left the NHL while under contracts that were forced????

Edited by Habitforming

If this story turns out to be true, i will definitely be disappointed. Valentenko was my favourite of our prospects on the Blueline. He is big, can skate and has some offensive talent! Also, he wasn't afraid to use his body to dish out some pain!

I'm very disappointed seeing him go before he ever really had a achance to prove what he could do in the NHL.

With Perezhogin, Valentenko and our future problems with Emelin, I wonder if the Habs will continue to draft many Russians? This tendancy has already started across the league. Just look at how far Cherepanov (R.I.P.) was drafted last year. He was in the top 10 in terms of talent...maybe even top 5, but because he was a Russian, and NHL teams are having a harder time getting them to come over, CHerepanov went something like in 18th place in the draft.

I read a rumour on another board, that was based on something from a person on CKAC radio, that the Habs granted him permission to go back to Russia to play. If so, they did it in an unusal way, since most NHL team simply put something on the transaction wire, stating that a Russian prospect of theirs has returned back home to play there based on a mutual agreement. However, the way this story came out, it initially sounds like Pavel "defected" back to Russia.

A 3 year contract doesn't sound like the Habs giving Valentenko permission to play there. I have heard that anyone under 25 or 27 must sign a multi-year deal in Russia, so maybe because he's only 21 he had to sign for 3 years. That doesn't mean he won't have an out clause. Emery, for exmaple, signed a 2 year deal because of that same rule, but could sign with a NHL team next summer if he wants.

Valentenko being part of the first round of cuts likely was the catalyst here. Both Alex Henry and Yannick Weber were above him, which no one would've predicted ahead of camp.

If Emelin does come over next year, and one of (if not both) Fischer and McDonagh turn pro, plus Subban turning pro... we have tons of potential young d-men coming up to replace Bouillon and Brisebois next year, especially with Carle and Weber being young guys in Hamilton this year (Carle's 2nd year). We more lose a trade asset than anything else if this is true.

A 3 year contract doesn't sound like the Habs giving Valentenko permission to play there. I have heard that anyone under 25 or 27 must sign a multi-year deal in Russia, so maybe because he's only 21 he had to sign for 3 years. That doesn't mean he won't have an out clause. Emery, for exmaple, signed a 2 year deal because of that same rule, but could sign with a NHL team next summer if he wants.

Valentenko being part of the first round of cuts likely was the catalyst here. Both Alex Henry and Yannick Weber were above him, which no one would've predicted ahead of camp.

If Emelin does come over next year, and one of (if not both) Fischer and McDonagh turn pro, plus Subban turning pro... we have tons of potential young d-men coming up to replace Bouillon and Brisebois next year, especially with Carle and Weber being young guys in Hamilton this year (Carle's 2nd year). We more lose a trade asset than anything else if this is true.

If he has an out clause and had permission from the Habs (his break is called "indefinite," they may have told him to stay in shape by playing in Russia) then I don't really mind. He might even learn more in Russia than he would have in Hamilton.

There's the key - an out clause. Perhaps Valentenko felt he'd be best suited playing in the KHL this year rather than toiling with the Bulldogs, and the Habs obliged. If there's an out clause at season's end, it's not so much of a concern - if there isn't, even then it isn't all bad. We're all clamouring for Emelin to come when he's done with his 3rd or 4th year in Russia, it'd almost be the same timetable for Valentenko.

As for the multi-year rule, I know there's a 4 year rule for entry level contracts that falls on a sliding scale. I think if you're up to 20, it's a 4, and then slides from there. Valentenko, at 21, would then fall into the 3. Not 100% sure, but I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

Amen brother.

Perogi was blocking the way for a better player, Andrei Kostitsyn. Just think if Andrei was still toiling in the AHL while Perezhogin was up with the Habs now? Andre would probably be threatening to go play in the KHL. Not a pretty picture.

There's a quote from a Hamilton Spectator story from last January that sums up Pavel's attitude:

"The biggest thing with him early on was when he made a mistake he seemed to quit. He'd make a mistake or a bad pass and he'd feel sorry for himself. Now when he makes a mistake, he knows he has to work hard to get back and not give up."

It sounds like Pavel didn't learn this lesson, as he's still a quitter! I highly doubt that a Russian team would allow for an out clause in a contract; what's their incentive ? I have not heard of an example in that country, although they are more common for North Americans playing hockey in other European countries.

The Habs will survive without him, and other prospects will jump up the depth chart over him. I have to think that the Habs will start to get gun-shy about drafting Russias soon, although I'm all for them getting more Belarussians! :clap:

http://thespec.com/article/314717

People won't even be talking about him in a year or 2. I can't beleive peopel are still talking about Perez.

There are better prospects in the same position.

Edited by habscout

Just seen it on TSN.

As mad as I am, I don't blame him for taking more money and playing in his home country.

Dammit though, I had high hopes for him :(:(

Perogi was blocking the way for a better player, Andrei Kostitsyn. Just think if Andrei was still toiling in the AHL while Perezhogin was up with the Habs now? Andre would probably be threatening to go play in the KHL. Not a pretty picture.

I get what you're saying, but had that happened, it would be Sergei still toiling in the AHL. In place of calling Sergei up last year, that would have been Andrei getting the call instead.