Habs @ Islanders | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

I'm not saying that I agree with this move, but who knows? Maybe the change will be beneficial for both guys! In the end, if higgins doesn't put up numbers on the first line, I'd rather see Latendresse there, cause he's alot bigger, and can create some breathing room for Koivu and Tanguay(which Guillaume has done well up to now this season!)

As I said before the season started, I would ideally like to see Andrei Kostsitsyn move to the Koivu/Tanguay line which could give us one of the very good offensive lines in the NHL, which would create a spot for Latendresse alongside Plekanec and Kovalev, where we would bring more size, physicality, and a North/South that I think that line is lacking (especially during the playoffs where we don't have as much space, and you have to simplify your strategies).

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said before the season started, I would ideally like to see Andrei Kostsitsyn move to the Koivu/Tanguay line which could give us one of the very good offensive lines in the NHL, which would create a spot for Latendresse alongside Plekanec and Kovalev, where we would bring more size, physicality, and a North/South that I think that line is lacking (especially during the playoffs where we don't have as much space, and you have to simplify your strategies).

Could be interesting!?!?!

Ya I never thought about that combination. There are so many that it's mind boggling. I freakin love it. Kovy and Lang have barely played together yet either, but when they did, I saw signs of the old chemistry.

According to Ice Chips Higgins has been promoted back to the Koivu line with Lats being demoted to the Lang line.

Sigh, 10 productive games again followed by a demotion. Lats must be frustrated

According to Ice Chips Higgins has been promoted back to the Koivu line with Lats being demoted to the Lang line.

Sigh, 10 productive games again followed by a demotion. Lats must be frustrated

Do you honestly feel that he's been a factor and played well in those 10 games? I think he played quite well in maybe 2-3 games, but overall I can't say he really contributed much to his line; Carbonneau seems to agree.

Besides he only has one assist in his last 5 games. Also he's not shooting the puck at all, having the worst shot total of all our top 9 forwards; considering he's playing with 2 quality veteran playmakers, it probably means he's rarely where he should be on the ice, and not doing what he needs to be open and getting those good scoring opportunities.

Do you honestly feel that he's been a factor and played well in those 10 games? I think he played quite well in maybe 2-3 games, but overall I can't say he really contributed much to his line; Carbonneau seems to agree.

Besides he only has one assist in his last 5 games. Also he's not shooting the puck at all, having the worst shot total of all our top 9 forwards; considering he's playing with 2 quality veteran playmakers, it probably means he's rarely where he should be on the ice, and not doing what he needs to be open and getting those good scoring opportunities.

I almost always agree with what Wamsley01 says, but I'm gonna agree with CerebusClone on this one.

I think the line will show a different dynamic with Higgins. Way more hustle and pressure and speed.

Plus, I don't think Latendresse needs to consider this a demotion. Heck, he's on a line with Lang and S.K. It's not like he's burried on the 4th line or something...

Edited by Helmethead

I almost always agree with what Wamsley01 says, but I'm gonna agree with CerebusClone on this one.

I think the line will show a different dynamic with Higgins. Way more hustle and pressure and speed.

Plus, I don't think Latendresse needs to consider this a demotion. Heck, he's on a line with Lang and S.K. It's not like he's burried on the 4th line or something...

Exactly, there is no reason that Latendresse can't play hard, get involved, and contribute on this new line. Robert Lang and Sergei Kostsitsyn played some strong hockey during the first few games with Kostopoulos, and Latendresse should bring a similar game in addition to his greater offensive capabilities.

The Canadiens have three offensive lines, and Carbonneau needs to maxime efficiency and chemistry for the entire team, not just try to ensure that Latendresse gets a few extra assists to make him look good on paper. This can also be a very good thing for Latendresse, who perhaps felt a little intimidated, almost useless or a little out of place playing with top offensive talents such as Koivu and Tanguay, whereas he'll need to play a greater role for his new line to produce; he can't just sit back and enjoy the show with Lang and Sergei, he'll need to get his hands dirty, and work with them to make things happen.

Perhaps Carbo is doing this shakeup not to help the Koivu line, but to help the Lang line? Maybe he thinks a stronger physical presence will give Lang and Kosty Jr a little more room to work. I can't really see this as a demotion but rather a shuffle designed to perhaps better facilitate a more sustained attack from all three lines.

Perhaps Carbo is doing this shakeup not to help the Koivu line, but to help the Lang line? Maybe he thinks a stronger physical presence will give Lang and Kosty Jr a little more room to work. I can't really see this as a demotion but rather a shuffle designed to perhaps better facilitate a more sustained attack from all three lines.

I couldn't but notice that Koivu and Tanguay seemed to pass to each other more often than Latendresse. I think they'd be a more effective threat if they could distribute the puck more evenly, and Higgins might encourage this. My only concern for the new Lats-Lang-Sergei line is that they'll be slow as a whole, but with effort, they'll be an effective threat and hopefully defensively responsible. Lang and Lats are strong on the puck, and Sergei may be able to make a few sweet passes with them getting to the hard areas.

Lats needs to think in terms of gradual prgoress. He had a good experience on the "first" line. Now he's on a "third" line with excellent, big-league linemates; he can learn a lot from Lang and contribute at both ends of the ice. This is all part of the apprenticeship, it seems to me. The end result *should* be a more complete player with a thorough experience of the game.

I think he has played well enough to warrant a sustained run on the line.

I do not understand the expectations. Really, what was the expectation of him on the first line? Half the board

wants him to go get the puck to relieve the pressure on Koivu and his relentless work, and half are shocked that he

does not have a ton of shots. If he was floating around the slot like Ryder (and the majority of snipers in the NHL)

then I would hear he should be working the boards consistently.

Everybody has a different vision of what they want this kid to be, and when he produced 7 points in 10 games it is followed

with a break down of how he got those points. Second assists, how many games he has been held scoreless etc etc.

I am tired of nobody else on this team being held to the same standard. Why didn't Higgins spark Lang and Kostitsyn?

He is an assistant captain and a veteran of the team. Why is Higgins consistently handed top line and pp opportunities when with that opportunity all he could muster was 52 points on 100 scoring chances. Higgins has no weakenesses? How come I never hear a constant whining about the deficincies in S. Kostitsyn's game, or Andrei's or Pleks.

I like all those players, but none of them are criticized to the extent that Latendresse is, and it is getting really boring.

I think he has played well enough to warrant a sustained run on the line.

I do not understand the expectations. Really, what was the expectation of him on the first line? Half the board

wants him to go get the puck to relieve the pressure on Koivu and his relentless work, and half are shocked that he

does not have a ton of shots. If he was floating around the slot like Ryder (and the majority of snipers in the NHL)

then I would hear he should be working the boards consistently.

Everybody has a different vision of what they want this kid to be, and when he produced 7 points in 10 games it is followed

with a break down of how he got those points. Second assists, how many games he has been held scoreless etc etc.

I am tired of nobody else on this team being held to the same standard. Why didn't Higgins spark Lang and Kostitsyn?

He is an assistant captain and a veteran of the team. Why is Higgins consistently handed top line and pp opportunities when with that opportunity all he could muster was 52 points on 100 scoring chances. Higgins has no weakenesses? How come I never hear a constant whining about the deficincies in S. Kostitsyn's game, or Andrei's or Pleks.

I like all those players, but none of them are criticized to the extent that Latendresse is, and it is getting really boring.

Actually Higgins has been heavily criticized all of last season because he didn't live up to unrealistic expectations; some people see him as a power-forward and natural goal scorer... he's neither of those things. People are also starting the criticize Sergei Kostsitsyn because he's also in a bit of a slow streak, and he's not playing as well as he did in the first few games as well as last season. As for Plekanec and AK46, there is also some limited criticism, but since they're playing fairly well and getting their chances, people as well as Carbonneau remain patient for now (sometimes you're just a little bit out of luck).

I do agree however that Latendresse gets the spotlight a little more than the others, and in a way it's easy to understand considering he's a local player. While some people are quick to judge him, others are also very quick to praise and defend at all costs. This discussion is a good example: while Latendresse has been just ok so far (not great, but not bad either), you have people who want to see him sent to Hamilton while others are praising him for an amazing start. And all this becomes a vicous circle as one side is constantly trying to defend and exagerate their opinions to prove the other side wrong.

In addition to this, you also have to consider that Guy Carbonneau has displayed uncharacteristic patience towards Latendresse even since he joined the Canadiens, patience he usually only reserves for veterans, and that other youngsters such as Perezhogin, O'Byrne, Lapierre, Chipchura, Andrei Kostsitsyn, and a few others did not benefit from. I'm sure Carbonneau has his reasons and maybe this isn't really the case, but at times it looked it does like Latendresse was getting a free pass, and without a doubt it bothered some people, especially those who for some reason want him to fail so badly.

Personally I don't really care whether Latendresse plays with Koivu or Lang, as long has he plays a smart, efficient game, and contributes to the success of his line. Honestly, I don't think he's been so good to say it's unfair for him to play on the third line, niot bad enough to say it's a necessary change. What's really important is that Carbonneau finds a way to get all three line rolling with more consistency, which has not been the case so far this season. Therefore, it makes sense that Carbonneau would want to make such a change, especially with both the Koivu and Lang lines slowing down recently (and the Kovalev line emerging last game).

Edited by CerebusClone

I do not think this is a case of everyone just 'picking on' Latendresse.

If Koivu or Tanguay were playing bad, the talk would be centered about them right now instead.

10 games on the top line Latendresse just has not produced.

Add to that the way Higgins has played last couple games.

He has been flying out there.

Hustling all over the place, chasing down icings, skating like crazy.

He has earned 1st line status.

Just like Pacioretty, Latendresse right now could benefit of playing in AHL to come back with some real Spark in his game.

Ok I understand that cant be now - so he has to toil around here maybe 10 minutes a game when he could be playing 20 minutes a game in Hamilton.

Which is better for a kid like Latendresse's development?

I admit from watching him play I am not a big Latendresse fan.

I would still rather see Kotsopolous on that 2nd line with Lang even now blocking shots and sacrificing his body like he does.

But fine, everyone has different opinions.

Lets hope Latendresse can get his game going on the 2nd line.

I have no problem with "demoting" Latendresse but it would be incorrect to say he hasn't produced. 7 points in 10 games is pretty decent. Combine it with the body checks he's been dishing out and I'd say it's good enough to hang around on the first line for about 5 more games before evaluating again. But really, he'll probably get just as much icetime on the third line and he'll still have competent linemates.

If everyone on my fantasy pool was "underachieving" like Latendresse does right now, I would easily win that pool...

Edited by JoeLassister

I have no problem with "demoting" Latendresse but it would be incorrect to say he hasn't produced. 7 points in 10 games is pretty decent. Combine it with the body checks he's been dishing out and I'd say it's good enough to hang around on the first line for about 5 more games before evaluating again. But really, he'll probably get just as much icetime on the third line and he'll still have competent linemates.

Bang on

Latendresse going with Lang is less of a demotion than just a line shuffle. Higgins-Lang-SKost has done nothing together, and Higgins seems unable to put up points with anyone else than Koivu.

If anyone wants to point the finger at a player who really hasnt produced, point it toward Sergei Kostitsyn. 0 pt in his last 7 games and thinly veiled comments from Carbo about Lil #### not working hard enough and Kovy about always needing to prove yourself. In the meantime Lats has been throwing his weight around, skated hard and got his nose dirty.

Anyone with half a brain and no bias would clearly see that SKost is much more likely to be replaced with Kostopoulos than Lats..

Sergei's a lot closer to being sent back to Hamilton than people think...

He'll get scratched at least once before it goes that far. Like AKost early last season.

Carbo put it best: "When a player is scratched from the team and sees another one drag his feet, he's right to be unhappy". Pretty much says it all.

So stop picking on Lats for no real reason and if you want to bitch about someon, bitch about the real culprits.