Brodeur needs surgery, out 3-4 months

sbhatt

Consistency on a high level is what a real Nr. 1 goalie makes. I don't think that they're strong enough in goal, it's the Flyers main concern next to the defencive depth.

One of the reasons I'm not so quick to anoint Detroit as repeat Champions. Aside from the first round against Nashville, Osgood played amazingly well throughout the playoffs. I don't see him being able to repeat that again this year, and unless they make a trade, as I don't see Conklin nor Jimmy Howard stepping into that breach, the Wings will be left with goaltending as their weakness yet again.

Consistency on a high level is what a real Nr. 1 goalie makes. I don't think that they're strong enough in goal, it's the Flyers main concern next to the defencive depth.

:rolleyes:

By your logic, Price isnt our #1 either.

Biron is the Flyers #1 guy and that's that.

At this point, yes... but I wouldn't bet on that being the case by the end of the season. The number one spot is up for grabs, IMO.

At this point, yes... but I wouldn't bet on that being the case by the end of the season. The number one spot is up for grabs, IMO.

The number one spot isnt up for grabs, it's Biron's to lose. That's a small but significant difference.

The number one spot isnt up for grabs, it's Biron's to lose. That's a small but significant difference.

I agree with Koz, they acquired Biron with the intention of him being their new #1. He delivered in bringing them to the Eastern Conference finals. They're not going to dump him or give up on him so quickly. We're barely a month into the season, theres 5 more to go. If he's still playing like this a month from now, then you'll probably see Holmgren do something.

According to Bobby Mack however, leading candidates to New Jersey are Roloson and Kolzig.

:rolleyes:

By your logic, Price isnt our #1 either.

I don't mean Nr. 1 goalie on paper. Yes, he's their Nr. 1 goalie, he's their go-to-guy but I meant that he isn't an elite goalie, a real Nr. 1 in the league. Guys like Brodeur, who can win you a game every day, who're consistent as hell - they're elite.

Guys like Biron might have a good season but they can also slip down pretty fast. Guys like Théo, etc. Great season, the next season not so good. They aren't elite in my eyes, they won't give their team a permanent chance to win.

Btw. Price isn't one yet, no (but he's on the best way to become the next elite goalie in this league) ... Biron is a veteran, has much more experience so I don't want to compare those 2 guys anyways.

Edited by bombTHEice

I agree with Koz, they acquired Biron with the intention of him being their new #1. He delivered in bringing them to the Eastern Conference finals. They're not going to dump him or give up on him so quickly. We're barely a month into the season, theres 5 more to go. If he's still playing like this a month from now, then you'll probably see Holmgren do something.

According to Bobby Mack however, leading candidates to New Jersey are Roloson and Kolzig.

They're doing everything they can to push Biron as their number 1 guy, but he's making it difficult for them with inconsistent performances and pretty bad streaks. Every once in a while Antero Niittymaki gets the majority of starts, but he's similar to Biron in the sense that he can look great at times, but just can't seem to keep it up for a long periods of time.

Biron wasn't vert strong during the last playoffs either, and he was lucky that the Canadiens inflated his statistics with tons of weak shots from the blue line and from bad angles; he faces high shot totals, but very few of them were quality scoring chances.

Still Biron is their best chance right now, and they should be patient with him. After all, this was his first season as number 1 in a long time, and the Flyers' struggling defense is not helping him at all either.

Potential candidates:

Antero Niittymaki

Manny Fernandez

Brian Boucher

Josh Harding

Nitty is getting more playing time in Philly because Biron has been sucking as of late. Would Biron be expandable? I don't think the Flyers are even considering that option since they still seem undecided on what to do with either goalie.

Fernandez could be an option but they'd have to work out the cap issue since he makes a pretty penny with a cap hit in the 4.3M$ range.

Forget Boucher with the latest Nabokov injury and Harding is the future heir of the Wild. Sure, it doesn't look that way since Backstrom is their work horse goalie but Harding is as safe as Price in terms of organizational value.

The only options that could be possible if Weekes doesn't step it up are Roloson if they work out the numbers and Kolzig.

Actually any goalie currently under contract would be difficult to acquire, especially with the Devils being only 500K under the cap. I personally think that Weekes will do a good-enough job to maintain the Devils in the 5th-7th position range in the conference, and perhaps they could sign a player like Jocelyn Thibault to share the work.

Another wild but cheap possibility could perhaps be to pull Hasek out of retirement to split the job with Weekes, but that's highly unlikely as Hasek would take a while to get back in game shape and maybe doesn't want to come back...

He played above his head to eliminate us last Spring, remember?

I agree but would say played above his head. I think a lot of people grossly underestimate Biron. Biron almost set the consecutive start win record several seasons ago and the only reason he didnd is because Ruff benched him because Miller was back from injury. During those 14 consecutive wins the Sabers were missing Briere, Drury, Campbell and their 4th best player. I still say Biron > Miller :P

Take away 4 of the best Habs and lets see if Price can win 14 consecutive starts. Good luck. Biron is a lot better than most people think. Even look at the Flyers. The year they got him them were a .200 team, and instantly when they got him they were .500 team after that. The Flyers went from winning 1 in 5 to 1 in 2 and it was basically all because of Biron. Flyers just made a trade to get another dman Carle so I highly doubt they are blamming Biron.

I still say NJ should try to get Aubin off of Philly. They have had great success in the past with exLaff toss away goalies. Scwabb worked out great for NJ and I bet Aubin would to.

I agree but would say played above his head. I think a lot of people grossly underestimate Biron. Biron almost set the consecutive start win record several seasons ago and the only reason he didnd is because Ruff benched him because Miller was back from injury. During those 14 consecutive wins the Sabers were missing Briere, Drury, Campbell and their 4th best player. I still say Biron > Miller :P

Take away 4 of the best Habs and lets see if Price can win 14 consecutive starts. Good luck. Biron is a lot better than most people think. Even look at the Flyers. The year they got him them were a .200 team, and instantly when they got him they were .500 team after that. The Flyers went from winning 1 in 5 to 1 in 2 and it was basically all because of Biron. Flyers just made a trade to get another dman Carle so I highly doubt they are blamming Biron.

I still say NJ should try to get Aubin off of Philly. They have had great success in the past with exLaff toss away goalies. Scwabb worked out great for NJ and I bet Aubin would to.

I get what you're saying, but I would think that the numerous moves from Holmgren had a lot to do with this; this includes not only Biron but Timonen, Coburn, Hartnell, Briere, Upshall, Lupul... not to mention the emergence of core young players such as Richards and Carter...

• 1 month later...
This is huge, I finally get to see if it was Brodeur who made the Devils go, or the other way around.

If Weekes puts up monster numbers does it take away from Marty's lustre?

This helps the habs that is for sure.

Well people who have been saying that Martin Brodeur's career has been highly overrated because of the Devils' system are probably having a field day because a no-name like Scott Clemmensen is putting up numbers that are just as good, if not better, than Brodeur has over his career. The Devils are doing just fine with Clemmensen putting up a 12-5-1 record with a 2.15 GAA and a .924 save percentage... numbers he's never put up in the past, not even in the AHL.

Of course that doesn't mean anything, especially over less than 20 games, but this is not helping Brodeur's reputation as a legitimate elite goaltender that is as good as his numbers suggest.

I don't see how Brodeur's legacy is even up for dispute. He is one of the all time greats. Period. Who is arguing that?

Actually quite a few people seem to think his career has been overrated because he's been playing behind such a great system in New Jersey for nearly his entire career. Heck there's even this guy who seems very dedicated to proving just this: http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/2007/0...-overrated.html

• 4 weeks later...

Now it is Leclaire's turn. 10 to 12 weeks for an ankle surgery. Dipietro will not be back this season as well, while Daniel Brière will miss the next game and wait until after the All-Star break to make a comeback.