All things HALAK

shortcat1

Kolzig is now available and Halak's agent is suggesting that Halak is not interested in being a backup to a guy the GM has announced as his long term starter...

I think Halak would prefer to be a backup to a vet goalie who will eventually go away.

I think Kolzig is looking for a change of scenery. If he is willing to be a backup for Price, then I would be okay with signing him for a reasonable number.

While it would be great to have Halak on the bench, I am not sure that is realistic. (if you truely believe that Price is the guy and going nowhere for years to come).

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kolzig is now available and Halak's agent is suggesting that Halak is not interested in being a backup to a guy the GM has announced as his long term starter...

I think Halak would prefer to be a backup to a vet goalie who will eventually go away.

I think Kolzig is looking for a change of scenery. If he is willing to be a backup for Price, then I would be okay with signing him for a reasonable number.

While it would be great to have Halak on the bench, I am not sure that is realistic. (if you truely believe that Price is the guy and going nowhere for years to come).

Would I rather trade him right now for almost nothing (mid round pick) or call his bluff and let him go to Europe?

Right now I call his bluff, promise him 25 games and a chance to prove himself and see where it goes from there.

If you trade him for a mid round pick and he develops into a stud you just gave him away for nothing, if he develops into a stud in Europe,

you retain his rights and can get more for him than you can right now while employing a veteran backup goalie to mentor Price.

If he stinks up the joint in his 25 game stint you send him to Hamilton and acquire a solid backup goalie on the cheap.

I wouldn't deal him unless I was offered a package that was a no brainer.

Edited by Wamsley01

Would I rather trade him right now for almost nothing (mid round pick) or call his bluff and let him go to Europe?

Right now I call his bluff, promise him 25 games and a chance to prove himself and see where it goes from there.

If you trade him for a mid round pick and he develops into a stud you just gave him away for nothing, if he develops into a stud in Europe,

you retain his rights and can get more for him than you can right now while employing a veteran backup goalie to mentor Price.

If he stinks up the joint in his 25 game stint you send him to Hamilton and acquire a solid backup goalie on the cheap.

I wouldn't deal him unless I was offered a package that was a no brainer.

I wouldn't deal him either, but i am not sure if we will have a choice. I agree the preference would be to get him to stay, at least for now.

I wouldn't deal him either, but i am not sure if we will have a choice. I agree the preference would be to get him to stay, at least for now.

I don't think Gainey will just let the kid walk. But he did with Perezhogin, so you never know.

One is for certain. I DO NOT want to se Kolzig in Montreal. The guy is too old and is finished as an NHL goalie. If we were to play him in 25 games, we'd be sure to lose 15 of them!

One is for certain. I DO NOT want to se Kolzig in Montreal. The guy is too old and is finished as an NHL goalie. If we were to play him in 25 games, we'd be sure to lose 15 of them!

I don't know about that. People said that about Belfour, Hasek, etc.. they all came back to be starters. In this case, we are talking about a vet backup.

I am not sure we can expect much more for a backup goalie. Plus, the real value will be if he can provide moral support and vet type advice for Price.

Why does everyone want to get rid of Halak? Having 2 good young goalies is a good idea. Competition is what everyone needs, it's also a cheap. Price can play 55-60 games and Halak can play 25-30 games.

No one wants to get rid of Halak. But apparently he wants to leave and if that's the case, we should listen to him.

Kolzig said he wants a chance to be a starter on a contender if he's to sign with a new team. We don't offer him that opportunity.

The guy needs to look in the mirror and realize that he's good but not what he used to be and he's almost 40. Besides, let's say we sign him and have a similar season as last and Price cheese's out again in the play-offs. Wouldn't that be Ollie's chance.

There is a reason Washington kept playing Huet. Oh well if he's not ready to take a mentor back-up role it wouldn't be wise for us to sign him expecting that. Gainey also mentioned in the press conference that we were set in goal, and will be looking at outside help in forwards. My guess is it will be Price and Halak next year whether he likes it or not.

Isn't Cujo a free agent this offseason?

Naaa, who cares about Cujo. I'd rather just stay with Halak and Price tandem. I got excited about Kolzig because him and Price have a friendship already and a lot of things in common. I thought maybe it would be a good thing like Theo and Hackett.

I want Halak to stick around it's just a bummer he is already unhappy. You never know, He may rise above Price, nothing is etched in stone until we start seeing W's in the win column I hope Halak can remain patient.

We're reading too much into Halak's inane (apparent) remark. I don't blame him for being frustrated, but the guy has to realize that no team in the NHL is going to give him the starter's job. He was basically jerked around by the Habs this year, but I doubt that this will prove true next season, so he needs to cool it. No way does Price get 70 games.

We're reading too much into Halak's inane (apparent) remark. I don't blame him for being frustrated, but the guy has to realize that no team in the NHL is going to give him the starter's job. He was basically jerked around by the Habs this year, but I doubt that this will prove true next season, so he needs to cool it. No way does Price get 70 games.

Yup. The feeling is mutual. Sometimes we at Habsworld jump the gun on our prospects. It's true that Gainey has committed to Price but that doesn't mean he will play great all next year. The play-offs proved that he can have some serious melt downs and look like a below average goalie. I'm sure Jaro will get plenty of games based solely on Carey's slumps. I hope Jaro uses those moments to prove he should be #1. I don't want to lose him just yet and have yet another goalie slamming doors on another team. Much like the Theo, Garon situation we had.

• 5 months later...

I mean, everone knows Price is our guy, but should Halak be rewarded for his excellent play? Maybe let him play until he loses? Kinda unfair for Price since he didn't go out on a low note, but I think hard work deserves more ice. I mean, the guy has 2 goals allowed in 120 minutes with a save % of like .967 or something like that.

Edited by ForumGhost

The Goalie coach already said he was going to play 25-30 games.

Forum Ghost, Price hasn't lost either, so should he play until he loses?

The bottom line is there is no goalie contraversy, Price is the man now and the future. Halak was told he would play in a certain amount of games and he is taking advantage of it. Good for him, it makes the team much better.

I would not since there is almost a week off, too long for Price to sit. I would give him a game in the next 3. I want to see Halak play at least a third of the games. I want to go into the playoffs with a rested Price and a sharp Halak. Let's not repeat last years mistake.

Price is the go to guy now with Huet gone, he has nothing to fear from Halak playing.

Give 'em 50-50! I am biased, though, Halak is my backup in my fantasy league and is getting me more points than my starter.

WOW who's your starter ?? Gerber ??

Mark my words... Halak will not finish the season in Montreal! He will be traded!

Edited by Habsfan