Kosto suspended 3 games

sbhatt

Man, 3 games is is about right. i wonder if the Butt end will get Grabovski anything?

If Price had fallen down and rolled around like a pussy soccer player, I'm sure there would be more noise about it. But he didn't...and I'm glad he didn't; better to settle it with a Hextall-style slash to the back of Grabovski's legs the next time they play.

If Price had fallen down and rolled around like a pussy soccer player, I'm sure there would be more noise about it. But he didn't...and I'm glad he didn't; better to settle it with a Hextall-style slash to the back of Grabovski's legs the next time they play.

That would be most unwise. Can't afford to lose Price for a few games, if he got suspended for such a stupid act. Better to let Komisarek destroy him with a clean hit and then let Laraque fight Hollweg or whoever there goon is. Price doesn't need to take matters into his own hands.

As for Kostopoulus, he should be suspended for as long as Van Ryn is out with a minimum for 3 games. The league needs to eliminate head shots and hits from behind

I expected 2 to 3 games so I agree with this suspension, while I don't think tom kop was trying to injure i do believe it was careless and he should have at least tried to avoid the hit.

what a crock of sh*t!!!

Did Grabber get suspended for is spear on Price? NO.

Did Sauer get suspended for his head shot on Kostitsyn? NO.

the NHL is such a f*cking joke, it ain't funny any more.

Yes the league should try to eliminate headshots. Yes I think Sauers hits was a headshot. But until the NHL makes a change to the rules, that hit on Kostitsyn was legal. Not to blame the victim but Kostitsyn and every other NHL player needs to have his head up on the ice, especially coming over the blueline. Just ask Lindros, Connolly, and Umberger to name a few guys recently who sustained concussions by having there head down or admiring some play they just made while entering the attacking zone.

I can't wait till we meet the laffs again. Grabs will be a target.

I think Koivu gave grabs a warning that he officially has a bounty after that butt end on Price.

3 games sounds about right?

When did Grabs do the spear on Price? Was he penilized on one of those goalie interferences or did it go undetected?

I must of missed it.

Nobody saw the butt end at the time. i believe it was seen on slowmo replay. The players may have known but the ref never saw it.

Kostopolous is a victim of a confused and confusing NHL regime on these matters. On the one hand, players are trained from Day One to pummel their opponents whenever they get a chance, to play with reckless abandon, etc.. On the other, if you hit a guy two feet from the boards with his head down you may or may not get a suspension of a greater or lesser length. Clearly, Kosto didn't mean any serious harm on the play either.

Nonetheless, you can break a guy's neck like that. It's unaccpetable. He deserves the suspension - stop the special pleading for *your* players, please - and my only wish is that the NHL came down with a clearly-defined position of these sorts of dangerous plays.

Kosto never meant to hurt him in this manner, so the 3 game suspension sucks... But hits like this need to be eliminated, and forgetting all the other hits that don't end up with suspensions... 3 games is fair. We can make do without Tom, and maybe this will prevent at least one other such hit from behind.

I wrote this in the comments on Robert L's blog that's linked to on the main page here:

"Kostopolous had a good long view of Van Ryn's number leading into the hit. Sure, Van Ryn could have protected himself better. But Kostopolous should've let up. Everyone knows that's a 5 minute boarding call if you hit him.

Van Ryn's mistake will lead him to be out for a month if early reports are correct. Kostopolous' cost him 5 minutes. If he were a repeat offender, it'd cost him a game or two. There's nothing particularily foolish or vicious on this beyond any other hit from behind.

Fact is, skating with your head down or turning your back to the rest of the play doesn't excuse the hit itself.

One of the problems with these hits is that I don't think they give much coaching beyond those first years (that your daughter is in now) in making and receiving hits. I think it's a lot like a driver's licence... once you've got it, there's no lessons anymore, only reprecussions if you're caught breaking the rules.

NHL players still take lessons in skating, stickhandling, shooting, and faceoffs in the NHL. Do they take lessons in hitting? I've never heard of it. Once you're out of minor hockey, you apparently don't need to learn anything.

Sauer's hit on Kostitsyn could've been just as effective, and clean, if it were just a hip check. Kostopolous can let up here and just tried to pin Van Ryn."

I guess I was wrong in thinking he wouldn't be suspended. I didn't take into account the fact that the NHL would make an example out of Kostopolous, even though he has no history of dirty hits. It's laughable that he gets 3 games when Randy Jones only got 2 last year when he nearly ended Patrice Bergeron's career, but whatever. I don't mind if they give out more games for it, but I doubt that this is the start of some new policy for this.

Hitting in hockey has been left to be completely reckless. Players aren't really taught how to hit more effectively, how to protect themselves better, etc. at each level. Almost every other factor in the game you hear about players taking lessons on. Not hitting.

I'm not a fan of what Kosto did.

But i'm not a fan of what Van Ryn did neither. He clearly knew the hit was coming, he looked and saw Kosto coming.

still van ryn isn't smart enough to realize that even if kostopulos misses 3+ game, he's still not the one injured for 6 weeks.

kostopoulos was lucky, though. I'm not happy at what he did but it's over now, lets move on.

:puke:

Shame on Andrei K as well. plays like what he did on schenn could end careers.

one more stride and you can nail the kid legit !!

Haven't seen Don Cherry in a while but this dude is so freakin ridicilous - looks like Austin Powers with this suit btw... :unsure:

Haven't seen Don Cherry in a while but this dude is so freakin ridicilous - looks like Austin Powers with this suit btw... :unsure:

:lol: