Kosto suspended 3 games

sbhatt

I guess I was wrong in thinking he wouldn't be suspended. I didn't take into account the fact that the NHL would make an example out of Kostopolous, even though he has no history of dirty hits. It's laughable that he gets 3 games when Randy Jones only got 2 last year when he nearly ended Patrice Bergeron's career, but whatever. I don't mind if they give out more games for it, but I doubt that this is the start of some new policy for this.

Those were two different situations in my opinion. Both Bergeron and Jones were chasing the puck behind the net, Bergeron got there first, and put himself in a very dangerous situation by bending over right in front of Jones who went to finish his check like he would on any similar play.

However on Saturday night there was no chase for the puck; Kostopoulos was clearly a few steps behind Van Ryn, and had no chance to reach it before him. Kostopoulos was behind Van Ryn during the entire play, and never stopped skating. Van Ryn got to the puck, stopped before the boards (meanwhile Kostopolos was still going full speed), and barely had time to get rid of the puck as as he was crushed from behind. Although I don't think there was any intention to hurt, it was a stupid, dirty and careless play by Kostopoulos.

I guess I was wrong in thinking he wouldn't be suspended. I didn't take into account the fact that the NHL would make an example out of Kostopolous, even though he has no history of dirty hits. It's laughable that he gets 3 games when Randy Jones only got 2 last year when he nearly ended Patrice Bergeron's career, but whatever. I don't mind if they give out more games for it, but I doubt that this is the start of some new policy for this.

You also have to take in account the inflation :P

You also have to take in account the inflation :P

Hee hee...

It's more BS by the NHL. I think Kosto deserves AT LEAST three games, but the suspension unfolds in the context of totally random and unkowable criteria. If you're gonna crack down on head shots, crack down; if you're not, don't. But the Jones-Kostopolous contract *is* revealing of the NHL's disarray on this. I guess that's all we can expect from the same league that doesn't have the horse-sense to put a second team in southern Ontario even though that would constitute the third richest franchise in the sport, while desperately trying to prop up pathetically failed experiments in wastelands like Phoenix and Florida.

The NHL is a joke for numerous reasons. I agree about head shots. I must be the only person wondering why a Butt End didn't deserve anything. I'm not saying Price should have flopped or anything. A Butt End has always been illegal and many suspensions have been taken for similar incidents.

Since the NHL won't do anything i send someone out to "attend" to Grabovski. That kind of stuff can't be tolererated against your team.

I'm not a fan of what Kosto did.

But i'm not a fan of what Van Ryn did neither. He clearly knew the hit was coming, he looked and saw Kosto coming.

Agreed. I saw the replay at least 50 times last night!

Not only that, but Van Ryn made it easier for Kosto to bust up his face. One second before Kosto hit Van Ryn, Van Ryn's shoulders were perpendicular to the boards. Had he stayed in that position, Kosto would have hit him, and he would have been able to absorb the bodycheck with his shoulder. But at the last possible instant, Van Ryn turned his back on Kosto(which meant that his shoulders were paralel to the Boards), at that moment, Kosto couldn't slow down anymore.

I'm not saying that Kosto doesn't deserve his 3 game suspension, but Van Ryn should take some of the blame for what happened!

Those were two different situations in my opinion. Both Bergeron and Jones were chasing the puck behind the net, Bergeron got there first, and put himself in a very dangerous situation by bending over right in front of Jones who went to finish his check like he would on any similar play.

However on Saturday night there was no chase for the puck; Kostopoulos was clearly a few steps behind Van Ryn, and had no chance to reach it before him. Kostopoulos was behind Van Ryn during the entire play, and never stopped skating. Van Ryn got to the puck, stopped before the boards (meanwhile Kostopolos was still going full speed), and barely had time to get rid of the puck as as he was crushed from behind. Although I don't think there was any intention to hurt, it was a stupid, dirty and careless play by Kostopoulos.

i can agree with careless but a stupid dirty hit it was not. he did not intend to injure he got in a situation where he should have held up just a little and didn't dumn but not intentionally dirty.