The loyalists' " I can't take O'Byrne anymore " thread

rafikz

Seriously,

- stupid penalties

- Awful turnovers (is he being coached By Breeze? I call O'Byrne " Brisebois's spiritual son " )

Don't get me wrong, he has potential and is a big guy, but his experience is below level 0.

I hope Carbo will send him to the minors at least for 1 month when Komisarek comes back.

Hey, he may learn 1 thing or 2 there.

Edited by rafikz

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's lucky we won tonight. Had his penalty cost the Habs two games in a row I'm sure he'd be sitting out the next game or be on a plane to Hamilton. He may still be...

I would have to agree that O'byrne seems to have a wall and for the sake of the Habs and himself he should be sent down to Hamilton. He seems like he is a step behind and that not only causes turnovers and penalties, but he is having trouble making passes to the forwards. So many of his passes this year have gone for turnovers. If the Habs can slot in someone else to make better transition plays it will help the forwards a great deal.

No need to give up on the kid yet, but some work in Hamilton would be beneficial.

Ugh...

Why do people start picking on players as if they were evil characters in some afternoon TV soap?

"Oooh, that man slept with the sister of his wife" He's evil, he has a mustache, I hate him, he should die!"

"Oooh, that player turned the puck over" He's inexperienced, he isnt crushing people through the glass, I hate him, he should die."

Catch my drift?

If Ryan would use his frame, I'd be more nice to him. That is his strength, but he hasn't thrown more than three good checks a game. A Dman his size should throw at least 5 hits a game.

Patience, the kid hasn't played 80 games in the NHL yet...Remember Komisarek at teh beginning. It's a long process!

Indeed, and like Komisarek he needs to go back to the Hamilton. Komi went back down after a lengthy stint with the Habs. As soon as we have someone who can take his spot, that's exactly where he needs to go. At the very least we have to get him off the second pairing. Having Hamrlik out there a lot doesn't help us when that means O'Byrne is also out there. We need to be limiting his minutes. Patience or not, he is hurting the team right now.

I'm okay with him playing, but I'm okay with him being sent down. I don't think either option would hurt him or the team.

Actually, here's what I'd do... send him to Hamilton for a month. Bring him back after Christmas/New Year. The "Carey Price method" of re-gaining confidence.

And I wouldn't call up anyone to replace him. We have enough players with the team currently... Breeze and Dandy can alternate the 6/7 spots.

He would have to clear waivers and he is probably the player that Carbonneau

was pointing when he said that he couln't do all he wanted because of NHL cap and

rules.

I like the guy potential but it's frustrating not being able to send a guy down for punishment

or to drill some toughness between his ears.

I am to the point now that i would have absolutely no regret seeing him having a good career

elsewhere.

Media jumped on Sergei, wrong target but he backed it up with 2 points.

He would have to clear waivers and he is probably the player that Carbonneau

was pointing when he said that he couln't do all he wanted because of NHL cap and

rules.

I like the guy potential but it's frustrating not being able to send a guy down for punishment

or to drill some toughness between his ears.

I am to the point now that i would have absolutely no regret seeing him having a good career

elsewhere.

Media jumped on Sergei, wrong target but he backed it up with 2 points.

I said this in another thread, but until O'Byrne plays 80 NHL games (including playoffs) he is waiver exempt, despite the fact he's on a one way contract. When you sign your first NHL contract at age 21, you are given 3 years or 80 games before waivers kicks in. So despite being on a one way deal, O'Byrne is still waiver exempt. Halak is in a similar situation, except that his criteria is different... because he's a goalie, they are given an extra year to reach the games played plateau. But both players are on one way deals and could be sent to the minors. Latendresse, who reached his games played mark last year, is the opposite... he's on a two way deal but is eligible for waivers. And Price will soon be in the same situation.

http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

I agree with Dutch_Habs_Fan that Ryan O’Byrne has very little to learn at the AHL level, he’s past that point of his career. We’re seen last season that he can be effective in the NHL, and we need to get him back on the right track. He needs to gain his self-confidence back, and as we’ve discussed before on this board, perhaps some better coaching from a former NHL defenseman on a consultant basis (who could probably also help the rest of the squad).

Sending him to the minors would only be a form of punishment, which would probably have the reverse effect while being somewhat undeserved as he’s working very hard; he’s just thinking way too much, and is more pre-occupied with not making mistakes than doing good things on the ice. He’s basically where Komisarek was a few years ago under Claude Julien.

I also agree with simonus that the Canadiens will be a better team in the playoffs with a confident Ryan O’Byrne, as were the Bulldogs during their run for the Calder Cup; O’Byrne was a dominating physical force, and was a key player for them along with Price and Chipchura.

Can he be sent down without waivers? I read somewhere lately that only SKost and Price can be sent down without having to go through waivers.

Read my post, 2 above yours. Both O'Byrne and Halak are also waiver exempt, along with Sergei and Price. In fact, Price will probably lose his waiver free status before Halak does barring an injury.

He is too slow, takes stupid penalties, turns over the puck alot. Wait a minute, are we talking about O'Byrne or Kovalev?

Either way, they both need to give there head a shake.

I haven't been impressed witrh O"Byrne much at all, he doesn't even use his size well.

The D is becoming a huge concern, i think Price is the only one who gets the puck out at least half the the time anyway.