Habs vs. Islanders | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

feel bad for o'byrne, he's going to take some major heat on this one, hopefully he doesn't ride the pine too long over that..... should have put him in the shootout

kovalev, plecknec and andrei still aren't showing up.... kovalev looks like he is playing shinny hockey out there with his effort... just about everyone except for the fourth line is playing with no effort and getting way to fancy, get the puck on net!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice how people score.. by shooting... we need to put our shooters in and pick the top corner... higgins did it twice on breakaways, but we never send him in to shoot...

In any case, O'byrne is definitely the goat....

If Kovalev doesn't get over the yips soon, this team is in trouble. This team has no offensive confidence right now. They are playing better overall, but they just can't buy a win lately.

And it's not like he's played more than 50 games in the NHL either.

Anyone remember Georges first 50 games with the Habs?

I'm trying to remember a Habs prospect D-man who stunk as bad as O'Byrne....I can't recall one quite as bad.

I've seen D-men score on their own net before, but NEVER like that. He looked RIGHT AT IT....ON HIS FOREHAND. HOW THE ###### DO YOU DO THAT?!?!? Clearly he's a ######!!!

Notice how people score.. by shooting... we need to put our shooters in and pick the top corner... higgins did it twice on breakaways, but we never send him in to shoot...

In any case, O'byrne is definitely the goat....

If Kovalev doesn't get over the yips soon, this team is in trouble. This team has no offensive confidence right now. They are playing better overall, but they just can't buy a win lately.

They had a win...and one IDIOT threw it away.

Let's put things in perspective; this isn't the end of the season, nor of O'Byrne's career (barring some massive drop in confidence).

But, to be quite honest, this game was lost as a direct result of his poor mistake. And it wasn't just a mistake, it was something that no player in the NHL should ever commit. Is it excusable? No. Is it forgivable? Yeah, but the fact that we lost sure stings a lot more. This reeks of the Patrick Stefan fiasco, and I don't have to tell you what happened to his career; let's hope for better from the kid.

kovalev, plecknec and andrei still aren't showing up.... kovalev looks like he is playing shinny hockey out there with his effort.

What game were you watching? They were creating chances all night! :wacko:

Let's put things in perspective; this isn't the end of the season, nor of O'Byrne's career (barring some massive drop in confidence).

But, to be quite honest, this game was lost as a direct result of his poor mistake. And it wasn't just a mistake, it was something that no player in the NHL should ever commit. Is it excusable? No. Is it forgivable? Yeah, but the fact that we lost sure stings a lot more. This reeks of the Patrick Stefan fiasco, and I don't have to tell you what happened to his career; let's hope for better from the kid.

Let's not forget his moronic positioning on Trent Hunter's goal off of the point shot on the penalty kill. He was standing directly in front of him with his back turned...just looking out towards the point. Didn't try to tie up his stick....or move him out of Price's way. Just stood there like the big no-clue-having dummy that he is, adding to the screen.

Edited by sbhatt

feel bad for o'byrne, he's going to take some major heat on this one, hopefully he doesn't ride the pine too long over that..... should have put him in the shootout

kovalev, plecknec and andrei still aren't showing up.... kovalev looks like he is playing shinny hockey out there with his effort... just about everyone except for the fourth line is playing with no effort and getting way to fancy, get the puck on net!

I think you just managed to eclipse O'Byrne for failure of the night.

Let's not forget his ######ed positioning on Trent Hunter's goal off of the point shot on the penalty kill. He was standing directly in front of him with his back turned...just looking out towards the point. Didn't try to tie up his stick....or move him out of Price's way. Just stood there like the big no-clue-having dummy that he is.

I'm all for throwing him under the bus tonight, but young players make stupid mistakes like that (the Hunter goal, not the O'Byrne goal). Maybe a move down might help him, maybe it will destroy him. It's a tough call to make as the GM, and usually the best medicine is to put him out there again and let him make up for the worst game of his life. If he steps up, he stays. If he doesn't; well, you don't need Joe Juneau's engineering degree to figure that one out...

All you can do is laugh at the goal. Trust me, get used to it now because all you'll hear for the next week is people laughing at it.

I'm trying to remember a Habs prospect D-man who stunk as bad as O'Byrne....I can't recall one quite as bad.

I've seen D-men score on their own net before, but NEVER like that. He looked RIGHT AT IT....ON HIS FOREHAND. HOW THE ###### DO YOU DO THAT?!?!? Clearly he's a ######!!!

They had a win...and one IDIOT threw it away.

Yep, and i'm a big fan of Georges now, but i remember when countless turnovers in our zone led to goals, weak penalties, etc. If the analysts can laugh and sympathize, if his team can support him and say they'll go out the gates fighting (as they're telling the media now), then the fans can.

If this team had any character, they would've won it on one of the PP's after the O'Byrne gaffe.

Gorges made a ridiculously bad gaffe last year vs. Atlanta. Everyone wanted to crucify him. The team built his confidence back up and now he's our 4th d-man.

He played a good game before that. O'Byrne was confident, strong, kept things simple. I hope it's not all gone because of this.

Let's be realistic here... our goal scorers let us down in this one. In a game in which Begin, Gorges, and Lapierre scored, all of our supposed 20 goal guys put up a goose egg. At least O'Byrne showed he can hit an empty net... that's something Kovalev and Plekanec couldn't do.

Yep, and i'm a big fan of Georges now, but i remember when countless turnovers in our zone led to goals, weak penalties, etc. If the analysts can laugh and sympathize, if his team can support him and say they'll go out the gates fighting (as they're telling the media now), then the fans can.

I'd rather see another D prospect get a shot at showing their stuff. It's not like he's the only prospect in the system!

I don't think they are going to bench O'byrne for this, but his minutes need to be reduced once Komi is back. He needs to learn and apparently he is a slow learner.

They need to put Komi on growth hormone and have him sleep in a hyperbaric chamber all night to heal him faster. We're in deep poopoo if O'Burned is getting significant icetime.

O'Byrne is clearly suffering. Obviously he wasn't quite ready for prime time and I'm not defending his performance. But what troubles me, to be honest, is the way both fans and media commentators are savaging him - not just for this goal, but every single night, night after night. I gotta say, I find this unhealthy. He is a very young player of some talent (remember how happy everyone was with him last season?) and making him the New Brisebois, i.e., fans' designated hate receptacle, can only wreck his career.

Bob should send him down, not as punishment, not even because he's struggled, but to protect him from becoming this year's Offical Habs' Fan Whipping Boy.

The O'Byrne goal should not have made a difference in this game. The guys played well, but not well enough. i do NOT blame O'byrne for this loss. Once again we had 8 ######ing PP's and could only get 1 goal!! UNacceptable!

At least O'Byrne had the guts to stay in the dressing room when they opened the doors to the media. Poor Kid, you should have seen him standing in front of 20 (at least) reporters. His voice was cracking, you could tell he was feeling really bad about this.

I wish the fans and the media could just forget it ever happened. I wish nobody talks about this for the next 2 weeks, but I know it will not be the case.

Where were Plex, Saku, Tanguay, Kovy, the Kostitsyn's Higgins...when we needed a goal?

I think you just managed to eclipse O'Byrne for failure of the night.

:clap: LOL...no kidding.

These guys are suppose to be our big guns, they aren't producing, if you honestly think kovalev is playing well you are crazy, he's about as lost as o'byrne is, he dipsy doodles around then loses the puck, looks good for the 10 seconds he's doing it, plecknec buzzes around on the outside doing nothing, again looks good, and kostityn isn't looking much like the sniper he's suppose to be

Carboneau: We lost this match on the powerplay and on the penalty kill.... They aren't going to let him hang out to dry. They will deflect any shot at him, and that makes me proud of this organization. I can name of handful of coaches who would call him out given the chance.

I'm not sure O'Byrne will find anything greater to motivate him to come back hard.

Edited by mineral

Carboneau: We lost this match on the powerplay and on the penalty kill.... They aren't going to let him hang out to dry. They will deflect any shot at him, and that makes me proud of this organization. I can name of handful of coaches who would call him out given the chance.

I'm not sure O'Byrne will find anything greater to motivate him to come back hard.

I agree. O'Byrne did not lose this game for us. And I like how he didn't try to hide from the media. He's got more balls than the rest of you anonymous internet lurkers.

These guys are suppose to be our big guns, they aren't producing, if you honestly think kovalev is playing well you are crazy, he's about as lost as o'byrne is, he dipsy doodles around then loses the puck, looks good for the 10 seconds he's doing it, plecknec buzzes around on the outside doing nothing, again looks good, and kostityn isn't looking much like the sniper he's suppose to be

Kovalev has been terrible this season, but this was one of his best games and the team certainly was working hard tonight. They don't have much confidence right now and missed numerous opportunities, but the confidence will come back eventually and then it won't matter if we score a late one on our own net.

The team scored three goals and had a lead with a few minutes left....they did their job. O'Byrne didn't do his job.

I agree. O'Byrne did not lose this game for us. And I like how he didn't try to hide from the media. He's got more balls than the rest of you anonymous internet lurkers.

Unfortunately balls does not equal ability.

:blink:

rotffdtslmfao

O'Byrne isnt the 1st rookie Dman to cost the Habs a game and he sure wont be the last but it is most likely the worst. :lol:

I want to see O'Byrne in the next game get 12 mins with Markov and another 12 with Hammer. He needs to regain his confidence asap before this really gets to him or it could ruin him. He needs to get over it and forget it and the only way to do that is to play well and that wont happen on the bench.

The AHL isnt an option, he's been there done that an needs real NHL experience and with Komi out now is the time. It seriously doesnt matter if the Habs lose a few games because of O'Byrne. Its not like the Habs will miss the playoffs by 1 point because of this game.