Habs RFA's...

puck7x

In case anyone was wondering...

Only 4 of them left...

Koivu , Markov , Ribeiro , Dwyer (Thats the order of importance)

Not bad at all. I remember past years when we had 6+ RFA's and we usually had one or more of them holdout into the season (thanks Houle).

I hope signing Markov isnt a problem , we all remember his (agent) threats of going back to Russia ... He was probably bluffing though (trying to drive up his price)

GO GAINEY GO!

I'm sure getting Markov to sign won't be much of a problem at all. I just hope it's done before training camp, because as we all know if you miss camp, it's not so easy to get going.

Koivu... 2 years 9 million

Markov 2 years 4 million

Ribs 1 year 1 million

Dwyer I'm not so sure will be back.

If the Habs don't have Markov in their starting lineup come October, they're screwed.

I'm guessing Brisebois won't be back, so if Markov isn't around our #1 defenseman becomes... Craig Rivet! :o

I hope Don freakin Meehan won't play dickball with Gainey too much...or maybe Savard will sign Markov before July the 1st?

If the talks turn really nasty and Markov actually plans to go back to Russia, could the Habs deal him this summer? Ok I'm getting paranoid...

Koivu... 2 years 9 million  

Markov 2 years 4 million  

That's 6.5 million being paid in the lockout year, do you really think the Habs will do that or do you think we will have no choice? (not saying your wrong, just wondering what you think)

Players don't get paid during a lockout... that's why they've been told to save up by the NHLPA.

Some of the elite players did start adding clauses in the long-term deals that provided for them to receive part of the money during the '04-05 season so to have some liquidity coming in during the potential strike... but that's the case with only a handful of players.

- The only player we have with the necessary clout to ask for that type of arrangement is Koivu but I doubt he'll take advantage of us too much, and Gainey is not the type to be messed with anyway.

- Markov has little leverage being a young RFA... he'll be happy with his 2M if he can get it.

- All we have to do with Ribeiro is offer the minimum 10% raise, Ribs said so himself he has no leverage whatsoever.

- As for Dwyer, my thinking is that his fate is linked to who the coach will be. He played for CJ in juniors and will stay if CJ stays... if Carbo or whoever comes in he might not stick.

If we choose to keep him signing him will be easy, he's waiver-wire material and is desperate to make his niche somewhere, anywhere.

[Edited on 7-6-03 by Habs77]