THIS gets Avery suspended!

markierung

Sean Avery, until today, has never been suspended by the NHL. Believe me when I say that I'm really not one of those guys that hates him. I think he has a specific role on a hockey team, and he plays it perfectly.

That being said, he has often acted in a way that might have warranted suspension. He has been fined for diving on numerous occasions, he has a reputation of playing dirty around the league, he has demonstrated unsportsmanlike conduct on and off the ice for years and has been quoted saying various racist remarks (mostly about French Canadians)...

“typical of most French guys in our league with a visor on, running around and playing tough

and not back anything up.”

Earlier today, before tonights game between Dallas and Calgary, he made a comment about Dion Phaneuf and current girlfriend (Avery's ex) Elisha Cuthburt.:

"I am really happy to be back in Calgary, I love Canada," Avery said on camera this morning in Calgary. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about. Enjoy the game tonight." - tsn.ca

THIS is what the NHL suspends him for? He makes fun of an actress, who in all likelihood could very well be a skank? Even James Duthie has poked fun at Cuthburt. How can this possibly warrent a suspension after the NHL did nothing after his remarks about French guys?

I understand that this suspension may be the result of cumulative grievances, but this is ridiculous. This really isn't too bad, kinda funny actually.

Another joke by the NHL's disciplinary committee.

:excl: This is not the Official Sean Avery Thread :excl:

Edited by markierung

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He got suspended for THAT?! :lol: :lol:

Ya, its so stupid. And if you read the article, it says that the Stars would have suspended him if the league didn't. Does everybody have a thing for Elisha Cuthburt?

Ya, its so stupid. And if you read the article, it says that the Stars would have suspended him if the league didn't. Does everybody have a thing for Elisha Cuthburt?

I have.

had he called her sloppy seconds on the ice It would've been aceptable, even, perhaps, laughable. But to come out in the media and call your ex sloppy seconds I see why the league suspended him. She could very well sue him that and I kinda hope she does.

somehow I think that the league suspended him for his own security. he would've gotten out of the game in a stretcher had he played.

I can live with guys like with a good quote, but Avery is simply an asshole, pure and simple. heck even the Dallas players are fed up with him.

had he called her sloppy seconds on the ice It would've been aceptable, even, perhaps, laughable. But to come out in the media and call your ex sloppy seconds I see why the league suspended him. She could very well sue him that and I kinda hope she does.

somehow I think that the league suspended him for his own security. he would've gotten out of the game in a stretcher had he played.

I can live with guys like with a good quote, but Avery is simply an asshole, pure and simple. heck even the Dallas players are fed up with him.

Since when does being an asshole warrant a suspension? Think about it. This is a league that allows BARE KNUCKLE BOXING!!!!! and won't allow a player to make fun of his ex on camera?

Besides, comedians make fun of people all the time and don't get sued, she can't sue Avery or the league for this.

This was so funny, the truth hurts, she is his ex...i seen guy and girl say alot worst about their ex in the media..nhl got to get over it...Avery is great for the nhl, everyone loves a bad guy just as much as the good guys, its great tv..you want the U.S. to start watching hockey this is the way to get fans...nhl is so dumb they cant see that avery is a great marketing tool..but then again they are the guys that paid a band to turn the cup up side down..

I dunno guys, this isn't the WWF, this is a professional league and I think Avery deserves to be shut up. This is a buildup of events if anything and I'm glad it happened.

Agreed.

I don't really have a problem with the joke as much as the manner in which it was presented. This is his profession and he's representing the Dallas Stars and the NHL. He has a problem with the marketing in the league? Maybe he should look in the mirror.

He's gonna find himself out of the NHL pretty soon. Even Marty Turco said "We know what to expect from him, the show continues". That locker room does not like him at all. The guys got shit for brains.

Since when does being an asshole warrant a suspension? Think about it. This is a league that allows BARE KNUCKLE BOXING!!!!! and won't allow a player to make fun of his ex on camera?

Besides, comedians make fun of people all the time and don't get sued, she can't sue Avery or the league for this.

some of them actually get sued, we just don't hear much about them. avery is far from being a comedian. nobody laughs. besides I dont think he ever tried to be funny.

I understand what he was trying to do but man does he take the wrong way doing so.

If it were of his on-ice attics I would mind but taking a mic and call someone's GF sloppy seconds..classless. It wouldnt as bad if he called out a player.

nuff said, he really doesn't deserve all the attention he gets.

Markierung this is not just making fun. This is verbally bashing a woman sexually, to humiliate her in front of the public's eyes.

"Sloppy Seconds" is a very disrespectful term, and could almost be bleeped out.

He got the NHL headlines in one of the worst ways possible.

He should definitely be suspended, fined, and hopefully head-hunted, period.

the best thing would be for him to be called out publicly by his teammates. i'm quite most of the team is already sick of him.

I dont think it deserves a suspension. But I do think the NHL should have forced him to go to a puck bunny sensitivity program.

how about him finishing high school first ??

I still think he deserves a suspension for giving the league an image that they really don't need. maybe if it was someone else saying such crap, he wouldn't be suspended but I'm sure the league was waiting for a fair occasion to can Avery and they got it.

the best thing would be for him to be called out publicly by his teammates. i'm quite most of the team is already sick of him.

you are quite right. Richard and especially Turco seemed pretty angry about having him on the team. Owner Tom Hicks said he would have been suspended by the team if the NHL didn't do anything.

The worst is how he calls all of the reporters over. What a loser.

maybe if it was someone else saying such crap

The thing is nobody is that classless and arrogant to go that far. Avery is the only person in the league who would say something that offensive in front of cameras

You guys really don't think it deserves a suspension? I mean, forget that he was utterly disrespectful towards these women (another ex is dating another hockey player), forget that it was disrespectful to his team (who are disgusted with him), and with the Stars (who are disgusted with him), and forget that it utterly embarasses the league. Instead, realize that in all ALL his previous instances, he has never said anything that could be proven definitively.

THIS TIME THE DUMB DORK CALLED A NEWS CONFERENCE TO SPEW HIS JUNK. Dennis Rodman could learn from this guy. On the ice, sure, part of the game. But making sure it's on film? It was rehearsed! He publically embarassed everyone. Suspend him? In my NHL he's done. Expelled.

he deserves to be suspended, this asshole actually will find out players wives mothers childrens names and then denigrate them to a player. Now I haven't been there but this what the players say. Usually he does it on the ice so while he is still a classless asshole he won't get suspended for that. I wonder how those of you who are defending this jerk would like it if it was your sister daughter or mother he decided to call a whore? I'll bet that if I called one your mothers a whore on here I would be banned. This piece of shit went to the reporter with the express purpose of saying this on air, he asked "do you have a camera?" He as not going to say it unless it would be broadcast. Tell me exactly what Dion's girl friend has to do with the game of hockey. Play the game, play tough, mouth off on the ice but leave the families out of it. I do hope someone takes this asshole off at the knees. And I have never felt that way before. He needs to be out of hockey for good.

Markierung this is not just making fun. This is verbally bashing a woman sexually, to humiliate her in front of the public's eyes.

"Sloppy Seconds" is a very disrespectful term, and could almost be bleeped out.

He got the NHL headlines in one of the worst ways possible.

He should definitely be suspended, fined, and hopefully head-hunted, period.

MMPL, I understand that Avery's comments were rude and his ex most likely found them very offensive. However, I think that Avery has been vilainized by the media so much that people are over reacting. The Hockey news just recently made a joke saying that over 50% of the league will some day date Elisha Cuthburt. James Duthie made a joke about her sleeping around with NHLers. I know that Avery's comments take it further...but enough to get suspended? Comedians make worse jokes all the time and people laugh...but because Sean Avery is "mean" and "lacks respect for the game", he should be penalized for it?

The thing is nobody is that classless and arrogant to go that far. Avery is the only person in the league who would say something that offensive in front of cameras

Don Cherry? I know he isn't in the league, but Canada has forgiven him

MMPL, I understand that Avery's comments were rude and his ex most likely found them very offensive. However, I think that Avery has been vilainized by the media so much that people are over reacting. The Hockey news just recently made a joke saying that over 50% of the league will some day date Elisha Cuthburt. James Duthie made a joke about her sleeping around with NHLers. I know that Avery's comments take it further...but enough to get suspended? Comedians make worse jokes all the time and people laugh...but because Sean Avery is "mean" and "lacks respect for the game", he should be penalized for it?

If roger Goodell was running the show I'm sure he'd be out for the year.

Just saw that "self portrait" interview of Avery @TSN ... this dude is so ridicilous, he isn't anywhere as funny, entertaining as Roenick is/was. Seems like this redneck can't get over his ex. :blink:

The best part of all where the interviews of his teammates who don't really like this dude either. Avery, Cherry, etc. - ouch, and then there are really some guys who ask why the NHL is a sinking ship? :P;)