THIS gets Avery suspended!

markierung

but because Sean Avery is "mean" and "lacks respect for the game", he should be penalized for it?

isn't that the mean reason ? Any lack of respect for the game should deserve a fine or a suspension. No ?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think "sloppy seconds" is a way to mock Phaneuf, not Cuthbert. I don't find the comment disgusting or offensive at all, ordinary people make comments like that every day. But what I don't like is that he called all the reporters over to him so that he could make his joke.

I think "sloppy seconds" is a way to mock Phaneuf, not Cuthbert. I don't find the comment disgusting or offensive at all, ordinary people make comments like that every day. But what I don't like is that he called all the reporters over to him so that he could make his joke.

what if Cuthbert was your firend or sister or GF for that matter?? would you still think it's funny ??

if you want to insult someone, go the Materazzi way!! he was perfect !!!

I'm sure our respective ages explains a lot of this, but I don't often hear ordinary people making comments like that. Whether we like it or not, Avery and all NHLers represent a professional organization and have to be held to a higher standard (not to mention that they are looked upon as heroes to many youngsters). These juvenile statements reflect poorly on the team and the league, which is why no one is coming to his defence.

Avery is a good player who seems to be constantly battling his own stupidity.

Understand, that he didn't have to say that. At all, he could have avoided it all but he opened his mouth for some more attention and the league is finally fed up with him.

I think that the french comments, the NHL being boring comments, and now these comments got him suspended. Not just these comments.

As everyone is saying it's a professional league and he is the furthest from professional in the league.

FYI had he played I bet Dion would of put him out longer.

and I'm sure some Dallas players would've kicked him in the ribs after Phaneuf had done his "work"

This could really backfire for the NHL, I wouldn't be that surprised if Sean Avery decided to sue the NHL for infringement on his freedom of speech, and the NHL doesn't need that kind of bad publicity right now.

I'm sorry, but if Sean Avery wants to refer to Elisha Cuthbert and Rachel Hunter as his sloppy seconds, a pretty common term that we hear often on the television and the radio, and wants to point out that many NHL players seem to be going after his exes, that's his right. It doesn't matter if it's rude, if people don't like it or don't find it funny... he's not breaking any law.

It's not like he made public racist comment about a black player (I say public because Laraque says he called him a monkey a few years ago, but no else heard it), or anything that is truly unacceptable, all he said was : "And I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about."

What's so wrong about that? Mostly I think the NHL was waiting for the first occasion to get revenge on Avery after his criticism on the marketing efforts (something that everyone agrees with). As for the image of the NHL, turning this into a big story for no reason whatsoever is much worse than some comment practically nobody would talk about or would quickly forget about.

Understand, that he didn't have to say that. At all, he could have avoided it all but he opened his mouth for some more attention and the league is finally fed up with him.

I think that the french comments, the NHL being boring comments, and now these comments got him suspended. Not just these comments.

You can't suspend a player because of several insignificant incidents that alone didn't deserve a suspension. Of everything that Avery has said or done during his NHL career, the only thing that, perhaps, could have deserved some kinf of minor suspension was his comment following the Denis Gauthier hit on Roenick.

While I think this was blown way out of proportion by people in this province, misinterpreting a dumb comment into some kind of pure hatred and racism, I would have understood if the NHL had given him a warning with a one game suspension. I don't think he's a racist or that his comment was racist, but it was innapropriate and somwhat insulting to a large number of players and fans.

This could really backfire for the NHL, I wouldn't be that surprised if Sean Avery decided to sue the NHL for infringement on his freedom of speech, and the NHL doesn't need that kind of bad publicity right now.

Maybe, but players have to be well-dressed when appearing in public before and after games, so if they have to *look* professional, perhaps it's in the contract that they have to act professionally as well.

I'm sorry, but if Sean Avery wants to refer to Elisha Cuthbert and Rachel Hunter as his sloppy seconds, a pretty common term that we hear often on the television and the radio, and wants to point out that many NHL players seem to be going after his exes, that's his right. It doesn't matter if it's rude, if people don't like it or don't find it funny... he's not breaking any law.

He's not breaking any law, and therefore he's not going to jail. I'm sure the NHL has a code of conduct which his comments violated, and he's being punished by the NHL. In the business world, you can be disciplined or fired for making tasteless, disparaging jokes or comments like that; this is no different.

Maybe, but players have to be well-dressed when appearing in public before and after games, so if they have to *look* professional, perhaps it's in the contract that they have to act professionally as well.

A dress code is one thing, in fact many companies impose one to their employees, but the NHL is completely out of line by suspending a player from refering to his ex girlfrinds as sloppy seconds.

Besides if anything it reflects on Sean Avery's image (for better or for worse), but doesn't really reflect on the league. He wasn't involved in some shooting, he didn't hit his wife, he wasn't managing illegal cockfights, he wasn't caught with kilos of drugs, he wasn't tested positive for using steroids.. he made a harmless joke about his exes, using a common expression we hear often in the media... who cares...

Heck Martin Brodeur cheated on his wife with his sister-in-law, isn't that worse? If the NHL is so concerned about the image of its players, why didn't they suspend Brodeur? Shouldn't the Montreal Canadiens fire Guy Lafleur as ambassador for lying under oath to the court? Should the Canadiens have not retired Patrick Roy's jersey because he ordered his son to assault an unwilling player standing over 150 feet away? Is this what the CH wants its members to project?

How does "sloppy seconds" become the number 1 story throughout the NHL... yes this reflects poorly on the league, but it's its own fault for blowing an unsignificant comment out of proportion...

A dress code is one thing, in fact many companies impose one to their employees, but the NHL is completely out of line by suspending a player from refering to his ex girlfrinds as sloppy seconds.

Besides if anything it reflects on Sean Avery's image (for better or for worse), but doesn't really reflect on the league. He wasn't involved in some shooting, he didn't hit his wife, he wasn't managing illegal cockfights, he wasn't caught with kilos of drugs, he wasn't tested positive for using steroids.. he made a harmless joke about his exes, using a common expression we hear often in the media... who cares...

Heck Martin Brodeur cheated on his wife with his sister-in-law, isn't that worse? If the NHL is so concerned about the image of its players, why didn't they suspend Brodeur? Shouldn't the Montreal Canadiens fire Guy Lafleur as ambassador for lying under oath to the court? Should the Canadiens have not retired Patrick Roy's jersey because he ordered his son to assault an unwilling player standing over 150 feet away? Is this what the CH wants its members to project?

How does "sloppy seconds" become the number 1 story throughout the NHL... yes this reflects poorly on the league, but it's its own fault for blowing an unsignificant comment out of proportion...

All the things you mentioned were private or away from the NHL, though. They weren't done in an NHL dressing room in a hastily gathered press conference. And do you really think the joke was harmless? Do you think it's okay to talk like that all the time? Maybe I'm just out of touch with the way people talk these days, but I don't hear that crap.

If Phaneuf or a Calgary player jumped him for these comments, Avery would cower under this and say it was a premeditated attack. The remarks lacked respect for Phaneuf, Cuthbert, and just common decency. These are professionals, who they date is of no concern to the game.

It is both an inflammatory and derogatory remark. Players get fined and suspended for remarks consistently. Actually, wasn't Avery suspended once before for whining in the media about getting fined for diving back when he was in LA?

He's had a build up of these incidents recently, starting with the whole Brodeur embarassment (both on and off the ice) and then moving on to the Iginla comments (which were tame, but still unprofessional) and now this which brings in player's personal lives. He's crossed the line and this suspension needs to happen.

Plus, a lot of media reporting the event are calling the remark derogatory to women, whether you believe that to be the case or not.

...sloppy seconds, a pretty common term that we hear often on the television and the radio...

I've never heard that phrase on TV or radio.

Heck Martin Brodeur cheated on his wife with his sister-in-law, isn't that worse? If the NHL is so concerned about the image of its players, why didn't they suspend Brodeur?

He didn't go to the media and attack his wife. There is a difference between what you do on your own time and what you do as a member of a team in front of cameras.

Shouldn't the Montreal Canadiens fire Guy Lafleur as ambassador for lying under oath to the court? Should the Canadiens have not retired Patrick Roy's jersey because he ordered his son to assault an unwilling player standing over 150 feet away? Is this what the CH wants its members to project?

Neither was representing the Canadiens during those incidents. They are no bound by the NHL code of conduct. If Lafleur were a player, you can be sure he'd be suspended. Same with Roy if he were coaching the Habs an encouraged such an attack.

He's had a build up of these incidents recently, starting with the whole Brodeur embarassment (both on and off the ice) and then moving on to the Iginla comments (which were tame, but still unprofessional) and now this which brings in player's personal lives. He's crossed the line and this suspension needs to happen.

People hate Sean Avery so much that everything he says and does is interpreted as so much more than it really is. Like the Martin Brodeur "embarassement"... players and coaches are ready to do just about anything to win, especially in the playoffs, some target a player they know he's injured (ex. the Bruins last playoffs against Komisarek), some actually try to injure other players like Stevens hitting Lindros and Kariya when they had their head down, some fake injuries and in the past some players even drew their own blood to draw a major penalty, heck some players even fight each other (something that could send you to jail if you did in a street or a bar)... but THE MAJOR embarassement in hockey is a guy waving his hands in front of another, something that was within the rules at the time...

It's really amazing... I mean the Flyers, especially Hartnell, spent the entire playoffs physically and crashing into goaltenders on purpose... but one guy waving his hands was the one who was completely ourt of line...

If a nice guy like Mike Komisarek jokingly said that Jarome Iginla was dated his sloppy seconds, there would be one line in the Journal de Montreal with an exclamation mark at the end, and it would be described as a miscellaneous humoristic fact... but it's Sean Avery so it's disgusting, degrading, derogatory, and merits a lifetime ban from the NHL...

I'm not really trying to defend what Sean Avery does... but this whole thing is absolutely ridiculous...

I think the fact that it was premeditated/rehearsed makes it worse than an errant comment. I doubt he gets suspended any more, but I imagine he will be fined and issued a best-behaviour order. I just hope that Dallas doesn't play him for while.

"Sloppy seconds" will offend people. At the very least, the NHL is covering their ass with the suspension. It really shouldn't even be debatable.

Almost everything offends some people somewhere. Did the NHL fine Bob Gainey for calling the fans who booed Patrice Brisebois "gutless bastards"? After all, this is not only an attack on NHL fans who paid money to attend games, but it could be interpreted as being insulting and derogatory to every person out there who was born out of wedlock, implying that they are inferior to other people..

I didn't hear any outrage over those comments (except maybe for a few of those idiots who feel it was ok for them to ridiculize Brisebois by booing him constantly for no reason)? Why... because people like Bob Gainey... and because like "sloppy seconds", this was nothing worth blowing out of proportion...

Edited by CerebusClone

Almost everything offends some people somewhere. Did the NHL fine Bob Gainey for calling the fans who booed Patrice Brisebois "gutless bastards"? After all, this is not only an attack on NHL fans who paid money to attend games, but it could be interpreted as being insulting and derogatory to every person out there who was born out of wedlock, implying that they are inferior to other people..

I didn't hear any outrage over those comments (except maybe for a few of those idiots who feel it was ok for them to ridiculize Brisebois by booing him constantly for no reason)? Why... because people like Bob Gainey... and because like "sloppy seconds", this was nothing worth blowing out of proportion...

Yes it is being blown out of proportion, as it was all over sportscentre today. But nonetheless Avery violated the leagues Code of Conduct and has been suspended. If I call a co-worker a bitch I will be fired. Even if you hear it on TV everyday.

Maybe the point is that he's doing it too often and getting more and more brazen with each mouthing off. Perhaps you can consider it like a yellow card in soccer for a repeated offense that normally gets you nothing. But if you've been warned enough times, you get the yellow because apparently you're too stupid to understand that what you're doing is wrong.

and I am sure you would have a great old laff over us over guys calling your wife a slut, hell its all in good fun

I totally agree with CerebusClone.

what if Cuthbert was your firend or sister or GF for that matter?? would you still think it's funny ??

if you want to insult someone, go the Materazzi way!! he was perfect !!!

No, I wouldn't. It isn't a misogynistic term. The insult was against Phaneuf, not Cuthbert. The idea is that Avery's reminding Phaneuf who got there first and therefore that Phaneuf is going out with Avery's leftovers. I wouldn't be surprised if he made this comment while he and Cuthbert were still friends (meaning they still are friends).

and I am sure you would have a great old laff over us over guys calling your wife a slut, hell its all in good fun

But the term doesn't mean slut!

Maybe the point is that he's doing it too often and getting more and more brazen with each mouthing off. Perhaps you can consider it like a yellow card in soccer for a repeated offense that normally gets you nothing. But if you've been warned enough times, you get the yellow because apparently you're too stupid to understand that what you're doing is wrong.

I don't care how long his suspension is because he deserves to get something by now. What I don't like is how everyone's calling the comment disgusting and degrading without understanding it. Like I said, it's a fairly common phrase - not one you hear every day but it really isn't so different from "gutless bastards" or even the terms analysts and sportswriters are using to insult Avery.

Apparently you're the one who doesn't understand it BTH.

No, I wouldn't. It isn't a misogynistic term. The insult was against Phaneuf, not Cuthbert. The idea is that Avery's reminding Phaneuf who got there first and therefore that Phaneuf is going out with Avery's leftovers. I wouldn't be surprised if he made this comment while he and Cuthbert were still friends (meaning they still are friends).

Not in the context Avery used it. You can use it against a guy but Avery didn't. He said "become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds". Thats insulting Cuthbert while trying to incite Phanuef.

But the term doesn't mean slut!

Not directly, but they're the same thing. Avery technically didn't use the term properly, he was just being disugsting for the sake of being disgusting.

Like I said, it's a fairly common phrase - not one you hear every day but it really isn't so different from "gutless bastards" or even the terms analysts and sportswriters are using to insult Avery.

If it's a common phrase then you're hanging out with some seriously sketchy people. It is a disgusting term and can never be used in a positive way. Nor should it every actually be used, period.