THIS gets Avery suspended!

markierung

Listening to a BGL interview, to me it sounded like the NHL was just waiting for Avery to do something like that as BGL said that since there was no proof of Avery's racist comments the league can't suspend him even if they wanted to. So dumbass gave them the chance and they took it.

Fact it, the NHL hates him. The coaches, players, fans, and most importantly the executives and the commissioner all hate him and they have reason to. They're fed up, and finally he gave them a valid reason to suspend them.

This could really backfire for the NHL, I wouldn't be that surprised if Sean Avery decided to sue the NHL for infringement on his freedom of speech, and the NHL doesn't need that kind of bad publicity right now.

He has no case, and I would say there it's 100 times more likely that Cuthbert sues him.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently you're the one who doesn't understand it BTH.

Not in the context Avery used it. You can use it against a guy but Avery didn't. He said "become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds". Thats insulting Cuthbert while trying to incite Phanuef.

Not directly, but they're the same thing. Avery technically didn't use the term properly, he was just being disugsting for the sake of being disgusting.

If it's a common phrase then you're hanging out with some seriously sketchy people. It is a disgusting term and can never be used in a positive way. Nor should it every actually be used, period.

What makes it disgusting? I bet if I were dig up posts of yours, I could find harmless terms you've used that can also be considered disgusting by overly sensitive people. You could even argue the nicknames people give the Kostitsyn brothers are misogynistic. What makes the term more disgusting as such monstrosities (cover your ears) as bitch and slut (which was used in this very thread without anyone getting upset). HabsWorld hasn't even bothered to ban them yet. Hell, come to think of it, wasn't it you who offended Fanpuck by using the word "re.tarded"? There's much more offense to take from that phrase (and yeah, I've used it before too) than from sloppy seconds.

What about his wording makes it look like he was targeting Cuthbert? Because he used it as a noun? He's clearly trying to trash talk Phaneuf before the game, why would he want to trash talk his ex (in an NHL dressing room)?

People in this thread have admitted to never hearing the term before yet they're crying about how disgusting it is. I'd be surprised if there's a single person on this board (or in the world?) who hasn't used a worse term than this and had no one give a shit about it.

By the way, I never said, I'd heard my friends use it, only that it isn't uncommon. You know what it means, you must have heard it somewhere.

The idea is that Avery's reminding Phaneuf who got there first and therefore that Phaneuf is going out with Avery's leftovers. I wouldn't be surprised if he made this comment while he and Cuthbert were still friends (meaning they still are friends).

First, Avery didn't get there first. She's dated hockey players, and non-hockey players, before him.

Second, if that's how he refers to friends, I'd hate to hear what he says about people he doesn't like.

Edited by RobRock

I bet if I were dig up posts of yours, I could find harmless terms you've used that can also be considered disgusting by overly sensitive people. You could even argue the nicknames people give the Kostitsyn brothers are misogynistic. What makes the term more disgusting as such monstrosities (cover your ears) as bitch and slut (which was used in this very thread without anyone getting upset). HabsWorld hasn't even bothered to ban them yet. Hell, come to think of it, wasn't it you who offended Fanpuck by using the word "re.tarded"? There's much more offense to take from that phrase (and yeah, I've used it before too) than from sloppy seconds.

Did you just compare message board posts to a national television audience?

What makes it disgusting?

Whats disgusting about a term used to describe using another guys semen as lube for intercourse while you're talking to the Canadian media? Gee, I don't know, you tell me.

I bet if I were dig up posts of yours, I could find harmless terms you've used that can also be considered disgusting by overly sensitive people.

I'm not getting paid millions of dollars to represent the Dallas Stars, the NHL and the sport of hockey. This is about acting professional, most players have said it wouldn't be a big deal if he just said it to Phanuef on the ice.

wasn't it you who offended Fanpuck by using the word "re.tarded"? There's much more offense to take from that phrase (and yeah, I've used it before too) than from sloppy seconds.

It was Seb but I backed him up. Theres still a difference between a small message board and the national media though. At best I'm casting a negative look on myself which I can live with, not a huge corporation making millions of dollars. People are going be offended and not offended by different things so it's irrelevant what we all do in our personal time. Avery happened to do it after calling all the media over to him, huge difference.

What about his wording makes it look like he was targeting Cuthbert? Because he used it as a noun? He's clearly trying to trash talk Phaneuf before the game, why would he want to trash talk his ex (in an NHL dressing room)?

I don't know, go ask him because he did. Like I said, he dissed them both. It's not like guys hating their ex is uncommon though. The comment reaked of jealousy to me, it's well known she dumped him.

By the way, I never said, I'd heard my friends use it, only that it isn't uncommon. You know what it means, you must have heard it somewhere.

Never said you did, just made an assumption. But if you're hearing it enough that you think it's a common term then thats not good because it's not common.

Avery deserves a suspension because:

1. He was in the dressing room, as a member of the nhl, and called the press over. Hence, he was not on his own time, nor was he making an off the cuff remark.

2. He then proceeded to make a degrading comment about women. My wife was so disgusted, she didn't want my daughter watching the game with me for fear that she would be subjected to this kind of terminology. Thanks you little puke...

If I, on company time, and, and at a company function, pulled the press over and made those kind of comments, I could be dismissed with cause. (ie... no severance, just kicked out).

Some people here don't seem to think it is a big deal, but public figures referring to women as "sloppy seconds' is beyond defense. He has embarrassed his employers and potentially hurt their business and marketing plans. Fire him.

I do agree that it's way offside. Socialogical comparisons about the nature of what he said as it relates to hockey and other demographics is not really an issue. The NHL is its own animal. Hockey is too. Everyone here who has participated in advanced pro hockey knows that it's almost an entirely different world. There's a code of conduct regarding respect. I don't think they suspended him because of public relations. In a way he might as well have taken a dump on the NHL logo and put it on youtube. :P

Let's face it. Within the NHL, who supports him at the moment? Yikes

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I never said it was a professional comment. If he's going to say it, he should have said it on the ice instead of to a bunch of reporters. I'm not against the suspension, only the reactions to the words themselves.

My point with bringing up terms on message boards is that you said that this is a term that "should never actually be used, period." Yet then you seem to concede that there are worse terms out there and that you're comfortable using them in everyday conversation.

Obviously, he's an idiot for saying it to the media, but come on, it's a term that's used in public and no more offensive than countless other terms that are used even more often, even on TV (on WWE, HBO).

brobin, you say he's "beyond defense." I'm not defending him - I'm just against the over-the-top reactions of the type of term you'd better get used to hearing if you don't plan on living under a rock.

Whats disgusting about a term used to describe using another guys semen as lube for intercourse"

Well... it's not as if he worded it that way. Had a guy said to a reporter that he has the flu and vomited all night, I could give a detailed analysis of the action of vomiting and say it's absolutely disgusting. Of course, vomit can be found disgusting even without the analysis so the example doesn't work perfectly.

I'm not against the suspension, only the reactions to the words themselves.

Well the suspension is a reaction too. The league had a problem with what he said, they suspended him. The public has a problem with what he said, the best we can do is talk about what an idiot he is.

My point with bringing up terms on message boards is that you said that this is a term that "should never actually be used, period." Yet then you seem to concede that there are worse terms out there and that you're comfortable using them in everyday conversation.

I never said there were worse terms. I said people get offended by different things, IMO this is one that should never be used since it's demeaning to women. Obviously other people will think other things are more offensive but anything that demeans women takes the cake for me, is all I was saying.

Obviously, he's an idiot for saying it to the media, but come on, it's a term that's used in public and no more offensive than countless other terms that are used even more often, even on TV (on WWE, HBO).

WWE? When was the last time you watched the WWE? They're aiming for a PG rating now, the worst thing thats been said all year is "poopy". It doesn't really matter how it compares to other terms because he probably would've gotten shit for those too.

Well... it's not as if he worded it that way. Had a guy said to a reporter that he has the flu and vomited all night, I could give a detailed analysis of the action of vomiting and say it's absolutely disgusting. Of course, vomit can be found disgusting even without the analysis so the example doesn't work perfectly.

Thats the point of these terms, he doesn't have to word it that way. He says "sloppy seconds" and most people know what he means right away. Like you said, the word vomit or diarrhea is gonna work the exact same way. You say the word, the other person is gonna understand what you mean right away. And then to do it in front of millions of people while you're at work? Come on now.

Like I said, I'm really not talking about Avery's situation at all. You don't need to convince me that he shouldn't say things like that to the public. I'm reacting to the public's reactions to the words "sloppy seconds" which I don't think is so terrible considering it's impossible to go a day without hearing swear words or other (probably worse) derogatory terms.

I don't care about Avery getting punished for being stupid. I just think everyone's going overboard about how "disgusting" this comment is as if they've never heard anything like it before. And no, saying it to the public doesn't affect how bad the words are, only how stupid Avery is. There are other words like "bitch" that I bet people in the public eye have used jokingly and not taken any heat for - yet it's also derogatory against women.

There are other words like "bitch" that I bet people in the public eye have used jokingly and not taken any heat for - yet it's also derogatory against women.

Are you trying to make a point here? I said for me personally, it's most offensive. This topic is about Avery and what he said. If there was a topic about someone else saying something similar, I'd feel the same way.

Edit: I just read that the Dallas Stars rejected his apology and refuse to be associated with the one he did release. Now they're apparently in the process of trying to figure out how to get him off the team. This is all according to Bobby Mack

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/...=headlines_main

Figured that would happen

Edited by jetsniper

He has no case, and I would say there it's 100 times more likely that Cuthbert sues him.

Actually freedom of speech can be found under article 19 of the universal declaration of human rights... so there is without a doubt a potential case here, one that he could probably even win with good lawyers. As for Elisha Cuthbert, Sean Avery made absolutely no reference to her, everyone is just implying (and let's be honest, rightly so) that he was talking about her.

What has me really dumbfounded with Avery's antics in Dallas is that he hurts the team. If a team is playing good hockey then Avery can and has in the past be effective. But, when the team is in the toilet, why in the heck would a player do something as stupid as this? The responsible role of the pest player is to tone it down and play hockey when there are team struggles.

Dumb dumb Avery. I'll take Lapierre thank you very much!

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

What has me really dumbfounded with Avery's antics in Dallas is that he hurts the team. If a team is playing good hockey then Avery can and has in the past be effective. But, when the team is in the toilet, why in the heck would a player do something as stupid as this? The responsible role of the pest player is to tone it down and play hockey when there are team struggles.

Dumb dumb Avery. I'll take Lapierre thank you very much!

Hey, I'm going to disagree with that. The suspension actually delighted the locker-room and they went on to churn out an impressive 3-1 over the Flames! Duthie's article today was actually an interesting read concerning this, he talked to a few Stars players today

Sean Avery's words embarrassed his teammates Tuesday. But his suspension thrilled them. And many Stars are hoping that "indefinitely" means "forever."

On camera last night, you could see the frustration and anger in the Dallas players' eyes, but they chose their words carefully. Today, I spoke to three Stars players, who were blunt in their assessment of Avery. They agreed to be quoted as long as their names were not used.

"We hope it's the last time we ever see him," says one veteran.

"Our locker room is the happiest it has been all year right now," says another player.

Avery's weak attempt at stand-up comedy/trash-talk in Calgary was the last straw for many teammates.

He told them in the dressing room he was going to do something outrageous, saying, "Watch this boys," a couple of minutes before he stepped before the microphones.

They weren't shocked. Nothing Avery does shocks anymore. They were just angry.

"An apology (to the team) won't work," says a third player. "There isn't much he can say to change the way we feel right now. We have a lot of pride in this organization. He isn't welcome here anymore."

Avery has been an outcast in the dressing room from the start of the season. He wears headphones almost all the time, and rarely speaks to anyone, often working on his computer until minutes before practice. That might be tolerated if he (and the team) were performing well on the ice. But he hasn't been, with just three goals so far.

"He's been undermining everything we do," says the veteran. "He doesn't pay attention; he's not smart enough to play our system. He can't do some drills properly. He says it's because he's 'independent.'

Really, he's just not smart enough."

Dallas forward Brad Richards did go on record, but chose not to add fuel to the fire. Still, his feelings are clear.

"We don't want to talk about him anymore. Hopefully, it will be handled and that will be the end of it."

Sources say Dallas owner Tom Hicks is already exploring every possible way to get rid of Avery. Trading him might be impossible right now, because of his extensive baggage, and a four-year contract at almost four million dollars per season. The Stars could elect to send him down, and since Dallas does not have an AHL affiliate, they could try to assign him to.... anywhere.

One of the Stars suggested Finland or Russia would be good choices.

Haha, love it how the rest of the Stars react to their dummy teammate.

Siberia might be a nice new place to play for this dude. :P

Actually freedom of speech can be found under article 19 of the universal declaration of human rights... so there is without a doubt a potential case here, one that he could probably even win with good lawyers. As for Elisha Cuthbert, Sean Avery made absolutely no reference to her, everyone is just implying (and let's be honest, rightly so) that he was talking about her.

Hmm, I think the right to speech his mind stops when it's at the expense of other people ... and what else should have it been as directed to his ex (playing against Calgary and everyone knew that his ex is the new gf of Phaneuf)?

Totally unnecessary comments this dude made ... who wants to know those things before a hockey game? He should rather try to play good hockey and nothing else. Though it also seems like he's even too dumb to play hockey or do some certain things in practice. :D

Edited by bombTHEice

I'm not sure his right to freedom of speech entitles him to make sexist demeaning remarks, but let's leave that question aside.

No one has infringed his freedom of speech. He was allowed to make his comments, indeed on national television. Indeed, if he wants to I am sure he can find a network which would televise him repeating and elaborating on his comments. He is certainly free to make such speech.

On the other hand he has signed a contract with the NHL (a quite lucrative one) and it contains a code of conduct and also contains clauses stipulating that if, in the opinion of the league, he violates that code of conduct then he agrees to be subject to the leagues penalties. His human rights include the right to sign such contracts and now he is obligated to live up to his end of the bargain. He doesn't stand a chance of prevailing in a lawsuit over this matter.

Edited by Peter Puck

I'm not sure his right to freedom of speech entitles him to make sexist demeaning remarks, but let's leave that question aside.

Sloppy seconds is not sexist remark, it is a pretty general term that can be also applied to men, as well as pretty much anything. Were his remarks classless, immature, stupid ... yeah sure, but this wasn't an attack on women (this doesn't mean it didn't offend some women, but heck, you can't do or say anything these days without offending at least some people).

Like I said before, why didn't ther NHL send an official public warning to Bob Gainey for calling hockey fans "gutless bastards". He not only insulted fans who paid good money to attend games at the Bell centre, but he insinuated that people conceived out of wedlock are inferior people, linking them to filthy errant dogs, and indirectly said that they are not welcome at hockey games.

And as I said, what's doing the most "harm" to Sean Avery's exes? His stupid comment to get under the skin of Iginla and Phaneuf before a game, a comment everyone would have ignored quickly, or the NHL and the Dallas Stars turning this into a huge story that everyone - not only in the hockey world, even on shows like TMZ - is now talking about? I still think the NHL was looking for revange while the Dallas Stars are using him as scapegoat to try to get the team to rebound (I'm sorry but Avery isn't responsible for the stuggles of the team leaders like Turco and Ribeiro, nor for the bad decisions from management... I looked at this team before the season, and I only put them in the playoffs based on reputation, I think I put them in 6th or 7th place on the predictions thread).

ps. Of course I'm exagerating about Gainey, I couldn't care less about what he said... even though I am technically a bastard ;).

I think this was blown way out of proportion ..if this is the way the NHL is going then there are alot of players that going be in trouble, there players in the NHl that as DUI, send naked pic of their self on the net, steal hand bags, beat there wifes, drive cars to fast and causeing dead,and the list goes on.. so their alot worst things then talking bad about a ex..so if the nhl going to drop the hammer on avery, they better start looking at alot of other player in the nhl for there off ice life..if people thinks the term that avery use is so bad, they really need to get out of the house or turn on the tv..i hear a lot worst in my every day life...on the news, tv shows, work, my fitness club, my hockey dressing room, the bar..the funny thing is i have alot of girl friends, that dont think want he said is that bad, and they use the term more then men. lol...

I do agree that it's way offside. Socialogical comparisons about the nature of what he said as it relates to hockey and other demographics is not really an issue. The NHL is its own animal. Hockey is too. Everyone here who has participated in advanced pro hockey knows that it's almost an entirely different world. There's a code of conduct regarding respect. I don't think they suspended him because of public relations. In a way he might as well have taken a dump on the NHL logo and put it on youtube. :P

Let's face it. Within the NHL, who supports him at the moment? Yikes

he might be reading this don't give him any ideas, he hadn't thought of that one. :lol:

I've never heard anybody say anything like that before on TV, unless watching a comedy show with a veiwer descression warning before its aired. I've never seen a sports show air a warning before playing the nights highlights.

I know it sounds kinda silly suspending him for saying "sloopy seconds" but he really should be suspended for that. Avery might as well have said "how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with chicks I've cummed all over and in before".

Thats an exact translation to what he's saying. Props to Avery for cleaning it up a bit. :lol:

Avery feeds off of being loathed. Thats what he wants and thats why he said it, to a get a rise out of Pheneuf and the Flames, and have the entire Saddledome Boo him. How many penalties do you think Avery would have drawn in that game from retalitory hits on him?

When Avery plays in Montreal the Habs fans should cheer him. Dont give him what he wants, through him off his game by cheering the guy. :P

i think avery does the things he does because he thinks he doing the nhl good..everyone one love good and bad..that why every hero as a bad guy..i think avery tryes to give the nhl that..and his right i hear more people talking about the nhl right now at work then i ever did and alot of the people that are talking are not even fans..there asking me lots of stuff about avery and when his playing next and they want to watch..most people think his a ass but also laugh at what he said..

I've never heard anybody say anything like that before on TV, unless watching a comedy show with a veiwer descression warning before its aired. I've never seen a sports show air a warning before playing the nights highlights.

I know it sounds kinda silly suspending him for saying "sloopy seconds" but he really should be suspended for that. Avery might as well have said "how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with chicks I've cummed all over and in before".

Thats an exact translation to what he's saying. Props to Avery for cleaning it up a bit. :lol:

Avery feeds off of being loathed. Thats what he wants and thats why he said it, to a get a rise out of Pheneuf and the Flames, and have the entire Saddledome Boo him. How many penalties do you think Avery would have drawn in that game from retalitory hits on him?

When Avery plays in Montreal the Habs fans should cheer him. Dont give him what he wants, through him off his game by cheering the guy. :P

i hear things on tv every night wost then that. csi, law and order, ufc,trailer park boys pretty much every show out their..that not counting the tv shows on all day long ,soaps, talk show.. if this shocks you must still be watching shows from the 70s..iam not saying i like the guy, but get real it wasnt that bad..have you every listen to a rap or r&b song..or see some of the videos..my god tv is full of naked people,curse, killing, cheating wifes and husband,stealing,sex, and everything else under the sun..if this offends any one they better lock their self in there moms house and never watch tv and listen to the radio, because the world a big bad place...

and want ever happen to sticks and stones well break my bones but names well never hurt me..thats old school...lol