Who will be the fourth statue?

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/immo...4309/story.html

Amusing piece by Boone on the Habs' Centennial Plaza. Apparently there will be four bronze statues immortalizing Habs' greats. He guesses that the first three will be The Rocket, Jean Beliveau, and Guy Lafleur. But the fourth? Who will it be? Who should it be?

I say Howie Morenz.

I agree Howie Morenz would be perfect...but if it was up to me, I'd put up life-sized bronze statues of every player who has his number retired, and a statue for our 3 greates coaches(Irvin, Blake, Bowman)! Now THAT, would be awesome!

it could be Petrick ROy but i'm not sure the plaza is big enough to have a statue the size of his ego !!!

Howie morenz is a good call.

Surprised nobody mentioned Doug Harvey yet. 7 Norris in 8 years, revolutionized the Dman position.

I'll still go with Morenz. He was the NHL's first star, he was the Babe Ruth of hockey before Richard came along. The earliest era of the Habs needs to be represented and nobody would do it than Morenz. My second choice would come from the same era, a goalie just as legendary this time: Georges Vezina. Both Vezina and Morenz literally played to death for the team.

Here's an article I found on RDS.ca, It basically says that the 4th statue is of Howie Morenz!

La Place du Centenaire est ouverte

Jeudi 04 décembre 2008

RDS.ca

Jean Béliveau (Photo Getty) Le Canadien de Montréal a procédé à l'inauguration de la Place du Centenaire dans le cadre de ses célébrations entourant le centième anniversaire de l’équipe.

L'équipe a rendu hommage à quatre grandes légendes, soit Howie Morenz, Maurice Richard, Jean Béliveau et Guy Lafleur dont on a inauguré une statue de bronze à leur effigie sur la Place du Centenaire.

Cette Place est constituée de 20 000 briques représentant l’appui et les encouragements de partisans qui ont fait l’acquisition de briques personnalisées.

Edited by Habsfan

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/immo...4309/story.html

Amusing piece by Boone on the Habs' Centennial Plaza. Apparently there will be four bronze statues immortalizing Habs' greats. He guesses that the first three will be The Rocket, Jean Beliveau, and Guy Lafleur. But the fourth? Who will it be? Who should it be?

I say Howie Morenz.

Patrick Roy.

Seriously though. Jacque Plante, Ken Dryden are as legendary as are Lafleur, Richard and Beliveau.

Surprised nobody mentioned Doug Harvey yet. 7 Norris in 8 years, revolutionized the Dman position.

I'll still go with Morenz. He was the NHL's first star, he was the Babe Ruth of hockey before Richard came along. The earliest era of the Habs needs to be represented and nobody would do it than Morenz. My second choice would come from the same era, a goalie just as legendary this time: Georges Vezina. Both Vezina and Morenz literally played to death for the team.

none of us, mortals, saw him play.

my reason is I didn't have cable tv back then :P

I agree with your guess of Morenz. The picks of Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur imply that popular sentiment (in addition to pure skill or contribution) plays a role in the selection - which is appropriate for this honour. The contributions of Harvey, Plante, Dryden and perhaps a couple of others can be argued to be similar to those chosen, but it's the aura that puts the others ahead. From what I've read, even though he was from Stratford, his style of play and skill (and yes, perhaps the way he died) give Howie Morenz that aura.