Pics of Habs Players

simonus

I was surfing Wikipedia today and noticed that a lot of the pictures on the Habs' players wikis are totally out of date, often showing the player in an old team's jersey. I'd like to throw up some updated pictures of players, but I can't just grab shots off tsn.ca or nhl.com because Wikipedia (quite rightly) has a strict policy on picture copyrights. Basically, in order to post a pic to Wikipedia the pic must either be in the public domain or the owner of the picture has to waive his or her copyright under the GNU free documentation license*.

Now I now that a lot of people on HW take their own photos of the Habs, so I was wondering if anybody would be interested in throwing up some of their own pics to update Wikipedia. Since I can't execute a GNU license on behalf of anybody else, I can't just take photos from here and upload them to wikipedia, but I'd be happy to walk people through the upload process if need be. Don't worry too much about the pain of making a GNU license - when you upload a pic to wikipedia, they ask you to fill out a GNU license form (basically checking a box on the upload screen).

Players that need new pics:

Players with no Pic

Steve Begin

Francis Bouillon

Patrice Brisebois

Matt D'Agostini

Dandenault

Gorges

A Kostitsyn

S Kostitsyn

Tom Kostopoulos

Lapierre

Latendresse

Markov

Plekanec

Players with old pic:

Alex Tanguay (Flames)

Hamrlik (Flames)

Laraque (Pens)

Halak (in a suit)

Koivu (in civilian wear)

Komisarek (draft day pic)

Lang (in civilian wear)

*The GNU license is basically a statement by the owner of a pic that anybody can use or display that pic in whatever way they want, so long as they never charge or restrict anybody else from using that pic or any work which contains that pic. This is often known as "copylefting". LEGALESE: There is some argument as to whether a copyleft license can actually force people to copyright derivative works (works which incorporate the copylefted work), but that really isn't important for the Wikipedia issue here. If you are curious about the nature of copylefting, the Wikipedia page I linked to above does a decent job of explaining it.

What you can do is search Flickr. Under the "Advanced Search" option, you can only search for creative commons photos. I do believe you have to credit the photographer though. Here are some good ones: Hamrlik, Halak, Dandenault, Gorges, Sergei, Andrei, Andrei playing for Belarus , Lapierre, Latendresse, Markov, Plekanec.

Edited by les_glorieux

What you can do is search Flickr. Under the "Advanced Search" option, you can only search for creative commons photos. I do believe you have to credit the photographer though. Here are some good ones: Hamrlik, Halak, Dandenault, Gorges, Sergei, Andrei, Andrei playing for Belarus , Lapierre, Latendresse, Markov, Plekanec.

You can go right from http://creativecommons.org/ too

• 2 weeks later...