Habs vs. Devils | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what a crap game. I really hate the devils

I thought it was a good game - it's solid hockey, some chances at both ends, but the goalies came up big (ahem... lucky). lol

We're totally down to 4 defensemen right now though.

It was a brutal 3rd period for the Habs. Lucky to get out of this with a point at least. Kindof a dumb, lazy penalty by Kovy late in the 3rd.

Habs had no jump in the 3rd. When they skate they create lotsa chances, when they don't it looks like the 3rd period tonite.

For those of you who question whether Koivu should be resigned. He is the glue that holds the Habs together. Without playing beside Koivu, Higgins looks lost and pretty much offensively useless out there. Tangs also looked way better besides Koivu.

I haven't been a basher of Breezer, but he looked pretty horrible on the ice tonite. Not much better for Bouillon either. Good thing Gorges has stepped up his play, because after Marky, Hammy and him there is a huge drop off, and i think Dandy has done well for himself lately on D.

So much for 3 good games in a row. Not many challenges for Clemmenson tonite.

I can't believe that got called in the last 30 seconds of a game....didn't cost the Devils a scoring chance...or create one for the Habs. Terrible officiating.

Some weak calls both ways.

Just right now, the Habs PP sucks so badly, they could not even get a decent chance to go up 2-1 late in the 3rd.

Big difference if the Habs can get their PP going.

I thought it was a good game - it's solid hockey, some chances at both ends, but the goalies came up big (ahem... lucky). lol

We're totally down to 4 defensemen right now though.

I don't think Markov will miss any games and there's still O'Byrne.

Very poorly officiated game. Price was back to his old tricks. His turnovers led to at least four good scoring chances.

I think you're jumping at every opportunity to judge his stickhandling. Everyone else seems to think he's pretty good at it and I thought he did a good job tonight as well. He made a turnover or two but never does he pass it directly to opposing players. Usually he clears it and then an opposing player jumps on it before any of our guys get to it. That's not his fault.

I don't think Markov will miss any games and there's still O'Byrne.

I meant in the third period ;)

Very poorly officiated game. Price was back to his old tricks. His turnovers led to at least four good scoring chances.

lol, you're talking about the 1st Star of the game - though he was definitely too far out on the final goal. I can remember at least one instance where he passed to to Brisebois, but Patrice had his head too far up his... :P

I think you're jumping at every opportunity to judge his stickhandling. Everyone else seems to think he's pretty good at it and I thought he did a good job tonight as well. He made a turnover or two but never does he pass it directly to opposing players. Usually he clears it and then an opposing player jumps on it before any of our guys get to it. That's not his fault.

He was very good last game, and I said as much. I call it as I see it. Tonight he had at least four turnovers that led to scoring chances. Putting the puck in a place where it is easier for the other team to get to is his fault. His stickhandling might be great, but his decision making with the puck is terrible. It's almost like he gets bored and decides he needs to make a big save.

I can't believe that got called in the last 30 seconds of a game....didn't cost the Devils a scoring chance...or create one for the Habs. Terrible officiating.

I kinda thought it was as much as a dive as it was a trip. The refs should have taken both or none IMHO. I would have liked to seen the other camera angle on Kovys trip either way. I only saw the angle from the side of the boards it happened on. The other angle would have shown Kovy's stick and what he was doing with it.

Price might be good at handling the puck but he is often really bad at deciding when to handle the puck. I have to admit that I often feel nervous when I see Price leave his crease.

He was very good last game, and I said as much. I call it as I see it. Tonight he had at least four turnovers that led to scoring chances. Putting the puck in a place where it is easier for the other team to get to is his fault. His stickhandling might be great, but his decision making with the puck is terrible. It's almost like he gets bored and decides he needs to make a big save.

But most of the turnovers come from putting in a place where a habs could have gotten it but got beat to the puck. And those plays generally come from Price having no options to pass to or with an opponent putting pressure on him, so he needs to shoot it away and hope. Those things happen to pretty much every goalie.

Lucky to get 1 point - really we hardly deserved that - NJ dominated 3rd period - a disturbing trend of late, not able to play full 60 minutes.

What to do about the PP ?

Carbonneau has tried pretty much everything, nothing seems to stick.

Not a pretty game, not an ugly one either. An average performance against a team that wanted it more. That was the kind of game were we'd have lost 6-1 a couple weeks ago... and win 4-1 at the start of the season.

Some observations:

1a - Poor Plex and poor Higgy. Both are trying real hard, but they just cant seem to get anything going. To the point where whenever either one of them touch the puck, you can pretty much predict that nothing's gonna happen.

1b - Plex-Tanguay are very similar players, they need a shooter with them. That's not Kostopoulos. That line won't work long.

1c - Higgins looks more inefficient by the day. A year ago he was a speedy scoring threat that was pain to defend. Now he's playing like... a LW version of Dandeneault. Tons of speed and zero else.

2 - Did losing 15 lbs this summer ruined Kovy's game? He plays like a lightweight out there. He used to be able to run circles around the offensive zone and/or protect the puck along the boards and no one could take it away from him. Now if any opponent gets too close, Kovy loses the puck almost instantly.

3 - Koivu played one of those games where he looks like he doesnt really cares. Trying to make a cross-ice pass through 3 Devils when you're the last man back on a 4-on-4? That's rookie stuff. And no-look passes are only good when you actually know who you're trying to pass to, not when you're on the PP and just give it away to the opposition. Also, it should be Saku that controls the puck to set up Kostitsyn, not the other way around.

4 - DAgo plays like Higgins should be. Now the question is weither he can keep playing the same with other linemates or after teams start zoning in on him.

5 - 4th line was the most consistent line again. Not sure if Laraque can be there permanently though.

5 - 4th line was the most consistent line again. Not sure if Laraque can be there permanently though.

Another clean game though, but I agree with you.

Carbonneau has tried pretty much everything, nothing seems to stick.

I'm been thinking this for a while now and am starting to believe it more and more that Carb is doing the Pat Quinn thing. i.e. playing head games and playing every possible line combination. I think theyre trying to see who can play with who else the best but they know what the lines are. Theyre just doing it to see if anything might be even better and who to play with who if any injuries. I also they are doing it because they dont want to 1st. Its better to be down in the standings a bit. Theres not as much pressure and if teams think they are pretenders and not contenders they can be caught off guard when the real Habs show up. A lot of teams are having problems just with the bizare lines.

Laraque should be there permanently though. He is finally being used effectively and imediatly that needs to be changed? :wacko: Who cares if he doesnt fight every game, he can still do something and he's been proving it lately. The people who want to see him fight and are opposing him on this line are silly because if they keep putting him in front of their goalie he will get plenty of chances to fight. :P

Laraque should be there permanently though. He is finally being used effectively and imediatly that needs to be changed? :wacko: Who cares if he doesnt fight every game, he can still do something and he's been proving it lately. The people who want to see him fight and are opposing him on this line are silly because if they keep putting him in front of their goalie he will get plenty of chances to fight. :P

I just said I'm not sure. As in "not convinced yet". Same applies for DAgo. 3 games dont make a season.