ESPN 2009 Mock Draft

habscout

I know it's early to be thinking about Mock Draft's, but I thought I'd share this link with everyone.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ.../05/mock.draft/

BTW, the writer has the order based on the current league standings, and predicted that the Habs would select RW Landon Ferraro, of the Red Deer Rebels, at the 25th pick. Ferraro is an interesting player, as he combines skill with toughness & leadership, similar to Brandon Sutter. Landon is the son of ex-NHL player Ray Ferraro.

Stefan Elliott, D, Saskatoon Blades

"I see him as a poor man's Mike Green," our scout said. "He has a lot of work to do in his own end . . . [but] he makes great reads with the puck. He excels at slowing the game down and making the right play in the offensive zone."

Funny, because not only were both Green and Elliott on the Blades, but Elliott has been far more hyped than Green ever was, which makes the "poor man's Mike Green" thing quite bizarre.

I thought Green was better, but I like Elliott as well. Green slipped to 29th overall because the team around him was lousy, and people thought he just stood out because of that. Elliott has the benefit of being on a good team.

There's no way a guy like Ferraro will still be available by the time we pick. Like Brendan Sutter I would expect him to leave in the top 15, teams just don't want to pass on big, gritty, and talented players.

I was hoping that a guy like Drew Shore would slip to the end of the first round, but he's doing pretty well with the NTDP so his rank should go up. We'll have to see how he does at the WJC U18 though because I don't think he did so well during the last few competitions. He's a project with really great upside, and Montreal can afford to be patient with the depth we have at all positions.

Remember in the playoffs your pick in the draft relates to when you get bounced out of the playoffs. Only if the habs make it past the first 2 rounds will they be picking around 25.

Based on what i've seen so far this year they could easily be bounced in the first round, which would put the pick between 16-20.

Remember in the playoffs your pick in the draft relates to when you get bounced out of the playoffs. Only if the habs make it past the first 2 rounds will they be picking around 25.

Based on what i've seen so far this year they could easily be bounced in the first round, which would put the pick between 16-20.

It's way too early to pass judgement on any team's playoff ability. I think he just showed where teams currently were in the regular season standings and just placed the 1-30 draft rankings with those teams. It's not so much a mock draft (which tries to determine what players a specific team would like) as much as another top 30 ranking.

We were slated to pick 25th last year, so 25th this year would mean the same thing... we'd be the 2nd best regular season team that didn't make the conference final. Only making the conference final bumps you into the 27-30 range, whether you win in the first round or not makes no change to the regular season draft rankings. San Jose, who also lost in Round 2 last year and finished with more points than us, held the 26th pick while Anaheim, who also had 104 points, still picked 24th even though they lost in Round 1.

Are you sure on that? I thought the habs had that pick based on the round they were bounced, plus they had the most points of those teams who got bounced in the same round.

I could be wrong but i thought that is how they explained it.

My assessment in the playoffs is simply based on the team i see today. It could change later in the year. Right now they have too many holes to do much in the playoffs. Just my opinion.

Are you sure on that? I thought the habs had that pick based on the round they were bounced, plus they had the most points of those teams who got bounced in the same round.

I could be wrong but i thought that is how they explained it.

My assessment in the playoffs is simply based on the team i see today. It could change later in the year. Right now they have too many holes to do much in the playoffs. Just my opinion.

I agree, the team hasn't played good hockey this season, and we couldn't objectively expect to have much success in the playoffs if the season ended today. You can "easily" have success in the regular season based on talent and hard work, which this team has, but the playoffs are a whole different game.

The good news is that there is plenty of time to fine tune everything, the bad news is that we not doing any of that right now. Instead Carbonneau is thinking very short term by overplaying all our depth guys (which I can understand, Carbonneau is good at getting good results from those guys) instead of maybe sacrificing a few points to get the right players playing the right way (i.e Latendresse, Sergei K. and O'Byrne should not be spending this much time as heathly scratches).

I wonder if there's any chance that Montreal could pick Louis Leblanc. That would be an amazing pick.

With the fact that he's playing in the USHL, and also that he's attending Harvard because he wants to get a degree from a prestigious school in case things don't work in hockey, he may slip down enough ranks as most teams are looking for short term solutions. Thankfully we have enough depth to be patient, and Timmins has proven that he doesn't mind selecting players that may not pan out before a few years.