Josh Gorges now considered a top-4 defenseman

shortcat1

Gorges has been upgraded, by sportsnet.ca, as a 4th defenseman.

For a long time, he was considered 6th or 7th.

It looks like his work ethic, qualities and aptitude have made him recognized by these non-partisan evaluators as a higher quality defenseman.

What a huge steal by Gainey! Gorges & Pacioretti for Craig Rivet.

I'm also glad for Gorges... he was so heavily maligned when he was claimed by the Canadiens - just a throw-in to be thrown out.

Here's the link: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/players/Josh_Gorges/

GO :hlogo: GO!

I'm pretty sure that Sportsnet doesn't write these up. The exact same Strengths, Weaknesses, and Career Potential descriptions used to be on TSN. It's done by a third-party, but I don't know who.

Edited by les_glorieux

I'm pretty sure that Sportsnet doesn't write these up. The exact same Strengths, Weaknesses, and Career Potential descriptions used to be on TSN. It's done by a third-party, but I don't know who.

Yeah, I miss those on TSN. Thanks for the heads up that they're now on Sportsnet.

I love throw-ins!

Nice to think that the habs have him for another 2 years at $1.1M AAV

With the uncertain salary cap upcoming the next few years, and with all the free agents the Habs have coming next summer, it sure is great to have Gorges locked up at that salary.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been slightly skeptical that Gorges could sustain his play at that level. But he really impressed me against Pittsburgh, against a formidable offence. He seems, if anything, to keep getting better. :clap: An impressive display of character and determination from a player who has surpassed everyone's expectation. I don't think he's the final answer to our blueline, though - mostly because he's not a realistic PP option.

I've been slightly skeptical that Gorges could sustain his play at that level. But he really impressed me against Pittsburgh, against a formidable offence. He seems, if anything, to keep getting better. :clap: An impressive display of character and determination from a player who has surpassed everyone's expectation. I don't think he's the final answer to our blueline, though - mostly because he's not a realistic PP option.

Ideally, i'd like to see an upgrade on the blueline by replacing Bouillon with someone better. Maybe easier said than done, but the Cube's play has been very mediocre lately, even Breezer seems to be playing better.

After going +3 last night, he now leads the team with a +17 rating (no one else is over +11).

He is tied for 7th in the league in +/-.

I will surely buy a Josh Gorges jersey in the next year or so.

His passion and will to win cannot be matched, he rarely makes a mistake and when he does he does all within his power to make up for it.

He is also getting more puck confidence and thus slowly but surely becoming a more offensive threat.

Ideally, i'd like to see an upgrade on the blueline by replacing Bouillon with someone better. Maybe easier said than done, but the Cube's play has been very mediocre lately, even Breezer seems to be playing better.

Another bad play by Bouillon cost the Habs a goal. Loses another battle.

Another bad play by Bouillon cost the Habs a goal. Loses another battle.

Meh, Gorges was awful today as well. Just a bad game in general. The Cube still wins more battles than he loses. Same with Gorges, same with Hamrlik, same with Komisarek.

Meh, Gorges was awful today as well. Just a bad game in general. The Cube still wins more battles than he loses. Same with Gorges, same with Hamrlik, same with Komisarek.

I agree that this was not one of Josh's best games.

But the Cube has lost too many battles this year. D-man just need to hold their own. When they are losing battles constantly, something has to give and the Cube should be in the pressbox.

If I remember correctly, neither Sportsnet or TSN write those. They all take them from from the hockey news website.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockey...player.cgi?4403

haha, wrong!

The Hockey News takes it at the same place as Sportsnet & TSN: http://www.forecaster.ca/demo/hockey/index.cgi

Talk about diversity of information.

Sorry I disagree! Although Bouillon might have had a few bad games lately, his overall play this season has been more than adequate. One d-man who seems to be having alot of problems is Brisebois. I was under the impression that Breezer was supposed to sit out some games...however, I get the impression that Breezer has played in every Habs game in the past 2 months. Maybe Breezer is due for some time off...

Sorry I disagree! Although Bouillon might have had a few bad games lately, his overall play this season has been more than adequate. One d-man who seems to be having alot of problems is Brisebois. I was under the impression that Breezer was supposed to sit out some games...however, I get the impression that Breezer has played in every Habs game in the past 2 months. Maybe Breezer is due for some time off...

O'Byrne's regression and Dandy's injury has forced Breezer into everyday duty... and Carbo doesn't seem to keen on Weber dressing as a d-man at this point. We'll see how it plays out, but I suspect we'll be seeing more Breezer before we see less.

O'Byrne's regression and Dandy's injury has forced Breezer into everyday duty... and Carbo doesn't seem to keen on Weber dressing as a d-man at this point. We'll see how it plays out, but I suspect we'll be seeing more Breezer before we see less.

True...I had forgotten about Dandy. I'd still like to see Carbo give Weber a Chance, and give Breezer a night off. (3 games in 4 nights coming up!) It might give Breezer a chance to cathc his breath, and it would allow us to see what Weber can actually do!

Carbo said just a week or two ago (before he was called up) that he didn't think Weber was NHL ready so I don't think he wants to play him at all unless it's out of necessity (i.e. an injury). But giving Brisebois a rest wouldn't be a bad idea.

Carbo said just a week or two ago (before he was called up) that he didn't think Weber was NHL ready so I don't think he wants to play him at all unless it's out of necessity (i.e. an injury). But giving Brisebois a rest wouldn't be a bad idea.

19 more games and Breisbois reaches 1000.

So that will be nice.

We can use him more sparingly I bet.