Carbo's message to Guillaume

MAK

Taken from LaPresse.

«Je m’attends à ce que Guillaume en donne autant à notre équipe que Milan Lucic à Boston. Je ne lui demande pas de jeter les gants à tous les matchs. Mais je lui demande de s’impliquer, de frapper et de marquer des buts.»

translation

" I expect that guillaume gives as much to the team as Lucic does in Boston. I'm not asking him to drop the gloves every game. But I ask him to get more involved, to hit and to socre goals"

now if Guillaume doesnt get it ...

We all know he can do that, he did before. Why he doesn't do it more often ?? only Guillaume knows!!

if we read between the lines: he's on a very tight leash.

Edited by marky_and_komi

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm i hope this fires up Latendresse, the same goes for Sergei too :P

I'm not worried about Sergei, he has the fire in his eyes. all he needs is a dose of humble pie and more ice time !! Maybe Andrei can kick his arse once in a while.

I'm not worried about Sergei, he has the fire in his eyes. all he needs is a dose of humble pie and more ice time !! Maybe Andrei can kick his arse once in a while.

LOL im sure it happens behind closed doors :lol:

Maybe he should send a message to Plex (and Higgins even though he's on the shelf for a while....)

Maybe. But it sort of ruins the effect if he starts naming half the team and gives them all a "message." Carbo's called out the entire team as a whole plenty of times and it doesn't really do much. But naming one or two guys gives them some extra motivation.

*waits for Cerebrus to come and tell me "I told you so"*

I think we need to get together, and share a few pints next time I visit one of my customers in Quebec City... you'll see that I'm not such a bad guy... ;) The Dooly's near Henri IV‎ wasn't bad...

I think we need to get together, and share a few pints next time I visit one of my customers in Quebec City... you'll see that I'm not such a bad guy... ;)

Never thought you were. I actually dont think anything about anyone here, for the simple reason that I dont think about anyone here, period.

Just saying that when we argued back and forth earlier you said exactly what Carbo just said.

The Dooly's near Henri IV‎ wasn't bad...

Someone I know actually got beaten to an inch of his life coming out of that place about a year ago. So... be my guest! :unsure::lol:

Someone I know actually got beaten to an inch of his life coming out of that place about a year ago. So... be my guest! :unsure::lol:

It reminds me of New Year 2000, the boyfriend of one of my friends wanted to get me hired at the Sharx Pool Bar in Montreal to work with him as a bouncer (I was looking for student job), telling me there was little to do there besides making sure no drugs were sold in the bathrooms... and that very same night when he came back to their apartment he was bloodied because of a huge fight where guns were even pulled!

So I told him NO... not that I really wanted to anyway... ^_^

It's hard to figure exactly why Lats seems so far from putting it all together. For me, I still look at his skating. He remains just a step too slow to be truly effective in pressuring opposition defencemen.

It's hard to figure exactly why Lats seems so far from putting it all together. For me, I still look at his skating. He remains just a step too slow to be truly effective in pressuring opposition defencemen.

Even though he has improved on his skating...i don,t know if that is the biggest problem for Guillaume. He needs to crash the net. Park his ass in front of the net. Make things happen, and the way to do that is to get in the face of the opposing teams goalie. Bother him and shots will go in.

Gui needs to go to the net!

Edited by Habsfan

Even though he has improved on his skating...i don,t know if that is the biggest problem for Guillaume. He needs to crash the net. Park his ass in front of the net. Make things happen, and the way to do tht is to get in the face of the opposing teams goalie. Bother him and shots will go in.

Gui needs to go to the net!

He needs to go to the net YES,

HE needs to go crashing into the corners TOO

and HE needs to NOT GIVE UP the F%^&'N puck to the other team every time he has it on HIS F!@#'N stick.

but then again I am the one (a$$%o!&) that can't break on skates and crashes into everyone (sometimes team mates too)

and when I play ball hockey you better not touch the ball (if you play on the other team) CUZ IT's MINE guy on the team, so what do I know?

I know: GO :hlogo: GO

Taken from LaPresse.

" I expect that guillaume gives as much to the team as Lucic does in Boston. I'm not asking him to drop the gloves every game. But I ask him to get more involved, to hit and to socre goals"

I think this was a real dumb thing for Carbo to say... real dumb. It's pretty obvious Latendresse will never be another Lucic - he's just not that type of guy. Lucic is a thug who can score... he's got an innate meanness, anger and aggression

(comes from his turbulent Yugoslav roots maybe?) that Latendresse just doesn't have. You can't force it.

Latendresse will turn out (hopefully) to be something like a Glen Murray - big strong guy, hard to move off the puck in front of the net, soft hands, good shot/quick release.

Senseless, needless pressure put on Latendresse by Carbo. That man says some really stupid things sometimes.

I think this was a real dumb thing for Carbo to say... real dumb. It's pretty obvious Latendresse will never be another Lucic - he's just not that type of guy. Lucic is a thug who can score... he's got an innate meanness, anger and aggression

(comes from his turbulent Yugoslav roots maybe?) that Latendresse just doesn't have. You can't force it.

Latendresse will turn out (hopefully) to be something like a Glen Murray - big strong guy, hard to move off the puck in front of the net, soft hands, good shot/quick release.

Senseless, needless pressure put on Latendresse by Carbo. That man says some really stupid things sometimes.

Carbonneau didn't say Latendresse nees to become Milan Lucic... he said that Latendresse needs to be more like Lucic by being more involved (i.e. less passive), a bigger physical presence, and score goals. In other words Carbonneau wants to see the player the Canadiens signed two years ago after his second training camp, not the passive shell of his former self that we've been seen from Day 1 in the NHL.

This is also exactly what Coach Sutter saw during the WJC, where Latendresse was an impressive force during the evaluation camp, was supposed to play on one of the top lines with Boyd and Bolland, but ended up on the forth line once the tournament started because he reverted back to his passive self.

Could it be a case of a player sitting on his contract, giving it all during the camps, and taking it easy thereafter? I doubt it... I think the Canadiens simply rushed Latendresse way too quickly in the NHL, and he never had much opportunity to find himself as a hockey player; it has become obvious that Latendresse is struggling to find his identity, his style, and his niche in the NHL. Unfortunately for him - probably because of pride - Gainey and Carbonneau didn't fix this mistake by sending him back to the juniors after his first 9 games where it was obvious he wasn't ready, and they made the same mistake last season when he was still eligible to go to Hamilton without clearing waivers.

It is not too late, he's still very young and filled with potential, but it will only get harder for him to fulfill that potential. He cannot be sent down and must therefore improve at the NHL level, the Canadiens are hoping to contend for the Cup and cannot be as patient and attentive to his needs, and progressively he'll have to fight a label that will be put on his shoulders that he was overrated and can't be anything more than a depth player (it might not be true, but once such a label is put on you, you get fewer and fewer opportunities).

I agree it was not a good idea for Carbonneau to use Lucic's name in the same sentence as Guillaume...but only Guillaume can get himself out of this situation. He needs to impress the gallery by creating scoring chances.

Even if he doesn't socre all the time, he needs to create chances by going to the net. He alrady does OK along the boards, but it's his play in front of the net that needs to improve!

Edited by Habsfan

I've seen flashes of being a better player, but more and more, Lats is reminding me of Dagenais, but without the shot. Hopefully, he can turn it around.

Now that's a lot more insulting than being told to be more like Lucic ;)

Latendresse is completely different from Dagenais for one simple reason: he's working hard, is willing to listen, and isn't blaming everyone but himself for his stuggles. He's struggling, but willing...

Dagenais blamed pretty much every single coach for not giving him a fair chance... including Mike Keenan in Florida even though he played for a while on the first line with Pavel freakin' Bure (and if I remember Victor Kozlov at centre) because they wanted him to be the next late-blooming Bertuzzi. He also blamed Julien even though he was given a lot of opportunities on the second line with his junior buddy Ribeiro, as well as on the powerplay.

Now that's a lot more insulting than being told to be more like Lucic ;)

It wouldn't be insulting for Lats to be compared to Lucic - it would be discouraging to him. He'll never be like that. Like Habsfan said, Carbo shouldn't have even used the words Lucic and Latendresse in the same sentence. If Latendresse was having somewhat of an identity crisis up to that point, that made it even worse

I hate to say it, but if Latendresse had not been fromt he province of Quebec he would be in Hamilton playing. Probably last year.

The guy doesn't hit. Doesn't score. Cannot skate very well. He is a minus player for his career. He just does not offer very much.

He and S. Kostitsyn should be sent to Hamilton. Atleast with Sergei you can blame a sophomore slump. Although he seems to have an attitude problem as well.

Latendresse is approaching the bust category.

I'd be happy if he could be used as traid bate later on in the year, but hard to see how anybody would want him

Excellent article here by Allan Muir of SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...tini/index.html

Edited by kaos

The guy doesn't hit.

1st on our team in hits. 43rd in league. I'd like it if he hit more (top 20) but he is doing fine.

Kosto has played more games but is 98th in the league.....

He has to step it up.

BTW, I read Habs are 2nd in the league for hits :huh:

Lucic 1st in league, man that is who Gui should take hit lessons from.

Edited by MMPL