Carbo's message to Guillaume

MAK

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it, but if Latendresse had not been fromt he province of Quebec he would be in Hamilton playing. Probably last year.

The guy doesn't hit. Doesn't score. Cannot skate very well. He is a minus player for his career. He just does not offer very much.

He and S. Kostitsyn should be sent to Hamilton. Atleast with Sergei you can blame a sophomore slump. Although he seems to have an attitude problem as well.

Latendresse is approaching the bust category.

You dont call a bust before 25/26 yrs old, much less a guy picked 45th overall. Andrei Kostitsyn was labeled a bust until last season. Komisarek was labeled a bust after the Habs sent him back to the AHL after his first stint. Bertuzzi was labeled a bust at 24, Joe Thornton a bust at 22, Lecavalier a bust at 23. See how that turned out?

Check back in about 3-4 years. :P

I hate to say it, but if Latendresse had not been fromt he province of Quebec he would be in Hamilton playing. Probably last year.

The guy doesn't hit. Doesn't score. Cannot skate very well. He is a minus player for his career. He just does not offer very much.

He and S. Kostitsyn should be sent to Hamilton. Atleast with Sergei you can blame a sophomore slump. Although he seems to have an attitude problem as well.

Latendresse is approaching the bust category.

I'd be happy if he could be used as traid bate later on in the year, but hard to see how anybody would want him

Excellent article here by Allan Muir of SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...tini/index.html

He doesn't hit? He leads the team - he hits more than anyone else short of Komisarek.

Why do you think Sergei has an attitude problem? Because he's in a slump? Because he takes bad penalties? Those things have also applied to Koivu several times, does he have an attitude problem?

Well, my Dags jab was kinda tongue in cheek. I'm not ready to give up on the kid, but do think at this point, his progression has been mismanaged. It doesn't help, that as typical Habs fans, he was an overrated prospect to start with, in most fan's eyes. It seemed most (unreasonable) fans thought he'd jump into the lineup as a top 2 winger and pot 30 goals.

You dont call a bust before 25/26 yrs old, much less a guy picked 45th overall. Andrei Kostitsyn was labeled a bust until last season. Komisarek was labeled a bust after the Habs sent him back to the AHL after his first stint. Bertuzzi was labeled a bust at 24, Joe Thornton a bust at 22, Lecavalier a bust at 23. See how that turned out?

So very true... then Latendresse will get a hot streak, and be labeled a young superstar in the making, a bonafide and natural 40+ goal scorer. Then he'll be heavily criticized for not reaching those unrealistic expectations, and called a lazy good-for-nothing bum that we should trade away before his value goes down.

Thank the gods there are SOME sensible people on these boards. To say that he's a bust at 21 years old is ridiculous! I've said it 20 times, and I'll say it again, it takes longer for Power-forwards to develop! Give Guillaume some minutes(14-15 minutes per game) and a couple of PP minutes per game, and I garantee he'll put up decent numbers!

Edited by Habsfan

Thank the gods there are SOME sensible people on these boards. To say that he's a bust at 21 years old is ridiculous! I've said it 20 times, and I'll say it again, it takes longer for Power-forwards to develop! Give Guillaume some minutes(14-15 minutes per game) and a couple of PP minutes per game, and I garantee he'll put up decent numbers!

I agree with the patience philosophy, but he'll have to earn his ice time like everyone else (or like all the other young players, at least). Being scratched occasionally is part of the learning curve for him, which emphasizes accountability for playing the way his coaches want. Putting up decent numbers is just one part of the equation - he has to be effective on both ends of the ice.

That said, if he continues to play like last night, hopefully he can get those kinds of minutes. In spite of the penalties, it was really good to see him implicating himself in the game. However, history tells us he won't play that way for long, and he'll be watching games from above again at some point. This will be frustrating, and we'll hear the familiar calls for him to be traded for the obligatory bag of pucks - but it should be viewed as part of the continuing development of the 'raw' talent (as described by Allan Muir) he has.

I agree with the patience philosophy, but he'll have to earn his ice time like everyone else (or like all the other young players, at least). Being scratched occasionally is part of the learning curve for him, which emphasizes accountability for playing the way his coaches want. Putting up decent numbers is just one part of the equation - he has to be effective on both ends of the ice.

That said, if he continues to play like last night, hopefully he can get those kinds of minutes. In spite of the penalties, it was really good to see him implicating himself in the game. However, history tells us he won't play that way for long, and he'll be watching games from above again at some point. This will be frustrating, and we'll hear the familiar calls for him to be traded for the obligatory bag of pucks - but it should be viewed as part of the continuing development of the 'raw' talent (as described by Allan Muir) he has.

Great response Mont-Royale. I definitely agree with you!

That was mostly due to all the injuries!

When D'Agostini first came up, Komi was really the only guy out, and he immediately saw more ice time than Lats and SKost. This was before he had done anything at all at the NHL level. Had he done anything to earn more ice time than those more experienced players? After a single game, he was still on the top line, while the other two were in the press box. His play supported the decision, but what exactly had he done prior to that to earn anything?

And with Maxwell, why not let Lapierre center the 3rd line with Maxwell earning his spot on the 4th? Laps was playing very well lately and deserved a few more minutes. Laps certainly did more to earn more minutes than Maxwell did to be thrown right into the fire.

It just burns me up when people talk about Lats needing to earn a spot, but don't say anything when other guys get thrown into big roles right off the bat.

Re: D'Agostini/Maxwell

They were put in those situations partly as messages to Sergei and Latendresse to step it up. And BTW, I don't think that Maxwell was put on a "top" line. A Kost - Maxwell - D'Ago isn't a top line by any definition... Koivu is what made that line credible as a top line. After that, it became at best a 3rd line.

Sergei and Latendresse had their opporutnities first with those top players. When they weren't doing as the coach pleased, the rookies were put in their place to send them a message.

I don't view any situation with regards to these 4 players as permanent as of yet.

When D'Agostini first came up, Komi was really the only guy out, and he immediately saw more ice time than Lats and SKost. This was before he had done anything at all at the NHL level. Had he done anything to earn more ice time than those more experienced players? After a single game, he was still on the top line, while the other two were in the press box. His play supported the decision, but what exactly had he done prior to that to earn anything?

And with Maxwell, why not let Lapierre centre the 3rd line with Maxwell earning his spot on the 4th? Laps was playing very well lately and deserved a few more minutes. Laps certainly did more to earn more minutes than Maxwell did to be thrown right into the fire.

It just burns me up when people talk about Lats needing to earn a spot, but don't say anything when other guys get thrown into big roles right off the bat.

I can't figure out the Maxwell thing either. I think Laps should get the third line C job, and put maxwell on left wing on the fourth line. Unless BGL is healthy, then Begin can centre BGL and TK. I am not impressed with Maxwell, and he frightens me in the defensive zone.

Dago, on the other hand...I kinda got a man crush on him. I love the way he plays, and he should remain on a top line until others are willing to play that hard.Man, even if he gets sent down, we are so deep it isn't funny. 4 years ago the loss of our top D, top goalie, top centre, and a top 6 winger would have crippled this team.

Don't forget, PK, McDo, and Emilin will be chomping at the bit fro D spots soon too.

I can't figure out the Maxwell thing either. I think Laps should get the third line C job, and put maxwell on left wing on the fourth line. Unless BGL is healthy, then Begin can centre BGL and TK. I am not impressed with Maxwell, and he frightens me in the defensive zone.

Dago, on the other hand...I kinda got a man crush on him. I love the way he plays, and he should remain on a top line until others are willing to play that hard.Man, even if he gets sent down, we are so deep it isn't funny. 4 years ago the loss of our top D, top goalie, top centre, and a top 6 winger would have crippled this team.

Don't forget, PK, McDo, and Emilin will be chomping at the bit fro D spots soon too.

they all have to go through Hamilton for atleast 1/2 season. Emelin might be ready for NHL game but he never played 82 games in one season.

This team doesn't have 3 or 4 years to wait.

First off their plan is to play for the Stanley Cup this year.

Second starting next year this team will be busted up becuase of the salary cap, and will rapidly decline starting 2010/11....when the economic crisis catches up witht he salaray cap

He doesn't hit? He leads the team - he hits more than anyone else short of Komisarek.

Why do you think Sergei has an attitude problem? Because he's in a slump? Because he takes bad penalties? Those things have also applied to Koivu several times, does he have an attitude problem?

Kinda hard to compare Koivu and S.Kostitsyn don't cha think? Ones got 12 or more years in the league....they other has two, and seems to have a sense of entitlement. A little time back on the farm is something that might help his game and his attitude

This team doesn't have 3 or 4 years to wait.

First off their plan is to play for the Stanley Cup this year.

Second starting next year this team will be busted up becuase of the salary cap, and will rapidly decline starting 2010/11....when the economic crisis catches up witht he salaray cap

And Latendresse will be needed for a more prominent role next year.

If the economy is still in decline in June 2009, then the teams will have to worry about the 2010/11 cap taking a big hit. I'd be surprised if we see any big contract extensions from now until then, but if the economy is picking up and season ticket renewal rates are strong, the cap will probably just stagnate for a couple years running around it's current spot before resuming a growth pattern. We have to hit an all out depression I think for the salary cap to drop big time. And a lot of people won't be watching Habs games on RDS HD or commenting online... they won't be able to afford it anymore.

Kinda hard to compare Koivu and S.Kostitsyn don't cha think? Ones got 12 or more years in the league....they other has two, and seems to have a sense of entitlement. A little time back on the farm is something that might help his game and his attitude

I agree with this, I just don't think his slump is enough proof to say that he has an attitude problem. From everything I've seen, he's a hard worker and a good guy. The reason why he's slumping is probably because he didn't truly belong in the NHL in he first place but he managed to take advantage of his situation and stuck around with the team. The same thing might happen with D'Agostini. He'll continue to play so well that we'll have no option but to keep him in Montreal, and then he might finally get exposed later in the season or next year.

I agree with this, I just don't think his slump is enough proof to say that he has an attitude problem. From everything I've seen, he's a hard worker and a good guy.

I think people focused on the attitude problem angle because Carbo basically alluded to it. He kinda called him out by saying he needed to be reminded he was a second year player and not a 10 year veteran. At least that's how I took Carbo's statements, that a little attitude adjustment was needed from SK74.

Edited by huzer

It sure is nice to see Latendresse play a couple of games where he looks like an impact player. Makes you realize what an incredible asset he would be if he can ever put it all together. We really need that player.

Keep it up, Guillaume! (Maybe Carbo's "calling out" was a good move?)

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

He has definitely played well the last couple of games. Maybe playing with Laps and Kostopolo made Lats realize that the pretty plays weren't working and he must use his size to make things happen.

Hopefully he keeps this up.

It sure is nice to see Latendresse play a couple of games where he looks like an impact player. Makes you realize what an incredible asset he would be if he can ever put it all together. We really need that player.

Keep it up, Guillaume! (Maybe Carbo's "calling out" was a good move?)

It definitely was a good idea by Carbo.

He called Out Guillaume and Sergei, and they both have been playing well over the past 3 games.

It definitely was a good idea by Carbo.

He called Out Guillaume and Sergei, and they both have been playing well over the past 3 games.

I like the line of Lappiere centering Latendress and Kostopulos (sp?)