Carbo's message to Guillaume

MAK

It definitely was a good idea by Carbo.

He called Out Guillaume and Sergei, and they both have been playing well over the past 3 games.

And yet the next time he benches a 22 year old, people will say he's not being fair to the kids and forget there's a method to it all. Carbo is patient with youth, and will give them a chance to succeed, but he also expects them to behave like men out there. This is the NHL, and no one gets a free pass.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet the next time he benches a 22 year old, people will say he's not being fair to the kids and forget there's a method to it all. Carbo is patient with youth, and will give them a chance to succeed, but he also expects them to behave like men out there. This is the NHL, and no one gets a free pass.

:clap::clap::clap:

That's exactly how you need to coach young players to mold them into responsible pros for their entire career. You have to constantly monitor them to drill into their mind that getting to the NHL isnt enough, you need to work to stay in the NHL.

I think Koivu can sign if he wants. BG will leave it up to him. Komi is a no brainier. Tanguay is interesting, playing well, a little streaky. Great playmaker.

I don't think they need to resign anyone else. Know one else (UFA) has proved they are a must have player.

The habs need a true sniper, there are a few out there.

I think Koivu can sign if he wants. BG will leave it up to him. Komi is a no brainier. Tanguay is interesting, playing well, a little streaky. Great playmaker.

I don't think they need to resign anyone else. Know one else (UFA) has proved they are a must have player.

The habs need a true sniper, there are a few out there.

Let's wait and see how Kovy does for the rest of the season. It's still pretty early(only 31 games played) and Kovy seems to be warming up. What do you do if Kovy ends the season with 80+ points??

He doesn't hit? He leads the team - he hits more than anyone else short of Komisarek.

True Lats is 2nd on the Habs in hits but Jason Blake was at the top of the NHL in shots on goal last year. Sure all of Blakes shots are all shot directly at the goalies logo, but its the stats that count right? :P

Saying Lats is 2nd on the Habs in hits like its some great thing is just silly. Over 80% of Lats hits are late, way behind the play, put him out of position and are for the most part highly ineffective. But he's 2nd. Woot Woot!! :rolleyes:

Lets all celebrate that the Habs have the best wrastlers in the NHL. Hooray!! :lol:

I think Lats primary problem is that he doesnt know when to use his size and in a lot of cases how to use it. When the other teams Dman makes a break out pass and theres an odd man rush heading at Habs end its probably a bad time to finish your check when you have to go behind the other teams goal line and hit the Dman in the corner. In the game last night Lats had a great chance to finish his check and hit a Dman right before the other teams blue line but the dman passed the puck and instead of finishing his check Lats just turned up and headed towards centre ice.

Sundin and Burtuzzi are both big guys and are almost the same size as each other yet the 1 bowls people right over and the other one doesnt. Lats greatest attribute is his size and he rarely uses it effectively or to his advantage like most other big guys do. Lately I have found out that Lats has a hell of a shot, who knew. It took me 3 years to see him let one loose once. The majority of Lats goals I've seen he was within 10' of the net.

Lats needs to play with way more heart and use his size to his advantage like he did last night every bloody night and not just a couple of times a year. I dont think that I would say that Lats plays at 80% 1/2 the time.

Saying Lats is 2nd on the Habs in hits like its some great thing is just silly. Over 80% of Lats hits are late, way behind the play, put him out of position and are for the most part highly ineffective. But he's 2nd. Woot Woot!! :rolleyes:

Unbelievable. Everyone wanted him to hit more, he did. Now we find someway to make him wrong.

Can we ever give somebody on the Canadiens praise without backing it up 10 minutes later with a flaw?

Price will have a you know what, and before some people congradulate him, they will say he gave up a bad rebound, or gave away the puck.

Lats has prolly put togther his best 3 game streak of his career and we still crictize him.

We blame Briere and Vinny for not signing here. Why should they? To get looked at negatively?

Edited by MMPL

Unbelievable. Everyone wanted him to hit more, he did. Now we find someway to make him wrong.

Can we ever give somebody on the Canadiens praise without backing it up 10 minutes later with a flaw?

Price will have a you know what, and before some people congradulate him, they will say he gave up a bad rebound, or gave away the puck.

Lats has prolly put togther his best 3 game streak of his career and we still crictize him.

We blame Briere and Vinny for not signing here. Why should they? To get looked at negatively?

I think the most improved players this year will be Lats and Laps. I hope Lats will anyway. I just feel like he is finding his niche on the team. As for Max...Holy crap. I think we have a PK, 2 way, shut down stud in our future, and his name ain't Chipchura. Lappiere is flying this year.

I think the most improved players this year will be Lats and Laps. I hope Lats will anyway. I just feel like he is finding his niche on the team. As for Max...Holy crap. I think we have a PK, 2 way, shut down stud in our future, and his name ain't Chipchura. Lappiere is flying this year.

I agree, Laps has been amazing this year.

And you know why?

Because he is one of the few who treats each shift like it was his last. If everyone had the hustle and effort of Laps, we would not lose.

I agree, Laps has been amazing this year.

And you know why?

Because he is one of the few who treats each shift like it was his last. If everyone had the hustle and effort of Laps, we would not lose.

Laps is showing how a young player can perform when the coaches "bring him up" right. BY bring up, I'm not talking about just calling up from the AHL, but more like parents bring up kids. You teach them, you let them play, you give them some room for youth mistakes but not for attitude mistakes, and you give them responsabilities and the pressure that comes with it when you know they can reach the next step.

In other words, the coaching staff have been doing a good job so far in trusting kids all the while not letting them get complacent. Not an easy task since there's so many young guys on this time. Looks like a nursery sometimes.

True Lats is 2nd on the Habs in hits but Jason Blake was at the top of the NHL in shots on goal last year. Sure all of Blakes shots are all shot directly at the goalies logo, but its the stats that count right? :P

Lets all celebrate that the Habs have the best wrastlers in the NHL. Hooray!! :lol:

The too stats aren't even comparable. There are guys who shoot every time they touch the puck and there are guys (Samsonov) who would look for a teammate to pass to in the shootout. Shots on goal is usually a good yardstick to measure how implicated a player was in a single game. But the season statistic doesn't tell you much about how well a player's been playing.

But the season hits leaders are always useful players who make their presence known. It's possible to have 5 shots in a game and be invisible - I don't think you could say the same thing about hitting. Latendresse is a physical guy who everyone is blaming for not hitting enough. He's a powerforward, hits and goals are the two stats we should be most interested in measuring him by. So - he's 2nd in the team in hits, what more do you want? Your 80% stat is made up and simply not true. It's probably more like 20%, and certainly no less than any other hitter.

When useless stats say he's -20 on the season, everyone points to the statistics. But when relevant stats say that he's doing everything we need from him, the stats mean nothing because you've invented a stat that determines his hits just aren't good enough?

Even if it's true - the bottom line is that the claim that Gui doesn't hit is wrong no matter what way you look at it.

The good news is that Chipchura may still turn out to be that guy as well. Could be an effective duo like Carbo and Skrudland.

It's great to finally see Guillaume Latendresse playing like a NHLer, and not some dumb marginal player. I didn't look at the stats sheet for the last 3-4 games, but it doesn't matter because you can see - on the ice, and not only on paper - that he's been playing much better. He's carrying the puck, using his body to protect it, he's making timley hits to gain puck possesion, his positioning without the puck has improved greatly, and is therefore getting more scoring opportunities.

Obvisouly he's not quite there yet, you can easily notice a lack of experience and fluidity, so it's not always looking pretty, but it seems that he's back on track. He can now build from there, keep improving, build his confidence, and fulfill his potential.

If Lats continues his play from the last few games, there is no way that Carbo can take him out of the lineup and he should end up getting close to 20 goals.

It would also help if he played with someone better than Kostopoulus.

If Lats continues his play from the last few games, there is no way that Carbo can take him out of the lineup and he should end up getting close to 20 goals.

I agree that it would be beneficial for Lats to play with somebody with more talent, but he's gonna have to play like this for a longer period fo time to EARN that spot on the top 2 lines!

Right now, he seems to be doing well with Lapierre and Kosto/Laraque, so let them play like this and see where it leads to!

I sure hope he can keep this pace and finish the season with 20 goals! Anything less, and everybody will be on his case!

Latendresse is finally playing well, and to me it doesn't matter whether he picks up a few extra points or not. Both Lapierre and Kostopoulos are playing with a lot of hussle, and Latendresse has no choice but to do the same.

I also like this line for his development because he's the biggest talent on that line, this gives him a chance to take charges and display some leadership on the ice; it's a little bit like he's playing down in the minors, but at the NHL level. This gives him a chance to break from the marginal player mold he's been stuck in, where he would stick to basics and dump the puck so a better linemate could control it, and start building confidence by carrying the puck, and displaying more creativity.

Latendresse is only 21 years old, and as I've mentioned before I don't think it really matters how many points he puts up, and he sure shouldn't be counted on to carry the offense. The most important thing is that he concentrates on playing well, improves from there, and then the points will come naturally. Also nexct time he'll get an opportunity to play on a more offensive line, he'll be much more ready and hopefully effective.

• 2 weeks later...
Latendresse is finally playing well, and to me it doesn't matter whether he picks up a few extra points or not. Both Lapierre and Kostopoulos are playing with a lot of hussle, and Latendresse has no choice but to do the same.

I also like this line for his development because he's the biggest talent on that line, this gives him a chance to take charges and display some leadership on the ice; it's a little bit like he's playing down in the minors, but at the NHL level. This gives him a chance to break from the marginal player mold he's been stuck in, where he would stick to basics and dump the puck so a better linemate could control it, and start building confidence by carrying the puck, and displaying more creativity.

Latendresse is only 21 years old, and as I've mentioned before I don't think it really matters how many points he puts up, and he sure shouldn't be counted on to carry the offense. The most important thing is that he concentrates on playing well, improves from there, and then the points will come naturally. Also nexct time he'll get an opportunity to play on a more offensive line, he'll be much more ready and hopefully effective.

Wonderful post.

I agree 100 % with everything you have said.

All Latendresse needs to do to become a great big forward in the league is master three things.

1. Backing into scoring areas using his big BUM to protect then puck.

2. Drawing multiple defenders and make a pass to an open player.

3. Drive the net with the puck rather than hesitate and go to the corners.

I like your thinking as well. I've had it with all the media experts (Pierre McGuire) who think the guy is ruined because he didn't go to the minors. Let him develop on the 4th line, like he's doing, and see where it leads.

I like your thinking as well. I've had it with all the media experts (Pierre McGuire) who think the guy is ruined because he didn't go to the minors. Let him develop on the 4th line, like he's doing, and see where it leads.

And people still forget that he is such a young kid.

Never thought you were. I actually dont think anything about anyone here, for the simple reason that I dont think about anyone here, period.

I will haunt your nightmares until you admit that you can't forget the annual ass kicking I've thrown at you in fantasy hockey.

Of course, they're right...the media pressure to put him on the team HAS stunted his development significantly IMHO.

He could have played heavy minutes in minors the previous seasons and he'd be a better player for it today if he was a rookie this year.

Of course, they're right...the media pressure to put him on the team HAS stunted his development significantly IMHO.

He could have played heavy minutes in minors the previous seasons and he'd be a better player for it today if he was a rookie this year.

Except that nothing in Gainey's tenure suggests that he pays the slightest attention to media/fans when it comes to important issues like player development.

I think they made a hockey decision that Guy would develop best in the NHL. Frankly, it's too soon to tell whether that was a good decision. But please, a little credit to Gainey and his people for having sound principles of decision-making. This isn't the old days of "hey, let's trade our toughest and most reliable defenceman for fan favourite lightweight Stephane Richer" Houle.