Habs @ Hurricanes | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lost all respect for Staal, that God damn pussy.

When that Leaf player borke his hand and nose and had a concussion, he got up quicker than Staal.

3 things

1. Refs sucked

2. Halak can't grab a puck with his glove

3. Latendresse was our best player

Halak made an amzing glove save...

Carbo stayed away from the question. As much as I would have loved to hear him unload on the guys who donned the orange armbands, it was smarter for him to clam up. I just hope either he or Bob has a phone call with the league office tomorrow morning.

I just watched Carbo's post game press conference. You could tell he was ######ing pissed off! He told the reporters he would not comment on the reffing!

He said that his boys played well and that he was happy about the way they played, but that he wasn't happy about the rest of the game!

Let's hope our boys can build some kind of team bonding spirit out of this game and come back stronger Thursday with Komisarek in the line-up.

Nice to see Kovalev finally score and I agree that Latendresse played a good game!

I just hope either he or Bob has a phone call with the league office tomorrow morning.

You can bet that Bob will place a phone call to the League. Bob has much more clout with the league than carbo!

Edited by Habsfan

When that Leaf player borke his hand and nose and had a concussion, he got up quicker than Staal.

Come on, did you see him on the bench afterwards? He looked pretty out of it for a couple minutes there.

Halak made an amzing glove save...

yeah, but I mean basic saves, he just gives rebounds everytime he should catch it with his glove.

Officiating aside, most i thought were penalties besides the Lats 1 in front of the net, the habs have no clue how to score. It is very similar to the team 2 years ago. A penalty shot goal, and a lucky deflection. Other then the final 10 seconds where was the offense? Yes they were short handed most of the 1st 2 periods. They had a chance to do something in the 3rd and didn't again.

As for GC having a new plan, when the team follows a his plan they look very good, Calgary, Rangers, Detroit recently. It is when the players STOP listening and doing there own thing when it becomes a problem. I do agree he needs to have them better prepared to play. They rarely show up for 60.

I am waiting for a PLAYER to finally step up and call out his team and players, saying it is unacceptable to lose, take dumb penalties, and not give effort. It hasn't happened in atleast 10 years. So blaminhg the coach is great, but they have had numerous coaches (sevaral are currently successful) and GC is the only who had this team going for an entire season. It's time for the players to put up or shut up.

I'm sure another line shuffle is in order.

There is one positive that came out of the officiating debacle tonight...

I had 8 pages of Game Thread to read through this morning at work. (instead of the usual 5-6)

That is for sure, it fired up the fans.

Here is the question though.

Did it fire up the team?

I have said over the last few games, we lack spark, fire, desire to win.

Maybe, but don't count on it, this will fire the team up and they will come out flying next game.

Or is firing oneself up when put down not a trait commonly found in Slavs?

We shall see.

Before I get called a racist, NOT!

I can easily point my finger at Pleks, AK x2 and little bro SK

as players lacking in desire right now, all Slavs.

Over talented but no heart, reminds me of a team I watched in '71

lose to some bums led by Phil Esposito.

Canada wanted it more, Russia had the talenet and speed.

Talent does not win games or cups. desire does.

You can add alot of players to that list. Kovalev who is Russian. I do agree they need more of a NOrth American style of players. I don't care where they come from, just how they play. It's nice to see D'Agastini actually drive to the net. It's a shame he and the 4th liners are the only ones.

You are right, this won't fire up the team, most of the time it's hard to tell if most of them even have a pulse. Philly will pound them. Top PP in the league. Habs can't more then 2 goals.

Before anyone takes a shot at coach Guy, you better realize that without him ST Pat was just another goalie and we have less cups. Roy did nothing by himself although alot of kids believe he was a one man show. He wasn't. Guy blocked more pucks than any forward I have seen! Thank you Guy!!!!! 21 belongs in the rafters beside 23, as much as 33 does. He shut down Gretsky in the finals, shadowed his ass.

That team had Vinnie putting up 97 pnts, top that saku!

Muller with 94

Bellow 88

Carbs on the shut down and PK.

Oh wait, fat Pat was a one man show, yeah right. Myths.

John LeClair in OT was a monster, yes he held us in but not a one man team!

Carb and Muller aren't losing out there, blame the players!

I wish we had been picked to miss the playoffs again, then these guys may feel they have something to prove, now it's we are good, people know it, let's go for a skate and dipsy doodle the twang.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

I agree about blaming the players, but posters who are talking about GC, are simply talking about his coaching. Nothing else.

Point taken, Even number 4 was no coach.....

Guy though, I believe in. He has been Gaineys understudy at every level of this game.

His system, though simple, seems to work. It is BG's system I believe, by the way.

The problem seems to be getting the players to buy into the fact that you have to give your all every shift, as if it was the dieing minutes of game 7 down by 1. Every shift has to work that hard, every battle on the boards must be one. Every check must be finished, passes must hit tape every time. PPs are for goal scoring, no dumb or retaliation penalties taken. Disciplined hockey! That is what is lacking, and the players must know it. How many of the current top coaches in the NHL did we fire?

He maybe injured, but the captain should address his team, it is up to the players to change their attitudes.

Don't just wear the shirt, be the shirt!!!

I'm with you. I have been saying for a few years they should blow up the core, get rid of most vets, turn over the team to the youth. They seem to play much better for GC then the vets do.

It kind of makes you wonder what happened last year? Stars alligning, every player having a carreer year at once. They did play hard 95% of the games last year. I think i have seen more no shows this year then all of last year.

Yep, last year they didn't like the rankings had felt they had to prove something, and with Kovalev he had to prove, to himself i think, that he could still be the man.

I really expected better effort from some many UFA's that we have without contracts for next season.

Pay cuts for all I would expect, elsewhere for most...

So much talent, potential to blow out every team in the league even with any 2/3rds of the regular squad due to strong callups, but losing to much weaker teams who really want to beat us because they bring there "A" game. That is why we need to bring our "A" game every shift. The other guys want to beat us because we are a top seed, in theory.

I am waiting for a PLAYER to finally step up and call out his team and players, saying it is unacceptable to lose, take dumb penalties, and not give effort. It hasn't happened in atleast 10 years. So blaminhg the coach is great, but they have had numerous coaches (sevaral are currently successful) and GC is the only who had this team going for an entire season. It's time for the players to put up or shut up.

you mean that you want a player to call out his teammates in public? Neither you nor I have any idea what the players are saying when the press leaves the dressing room.

That is for sure, it fired up the fans.

Here is the question though.

Did it fire up the team?

I have said over the last few games, we lack spark, fire, desire to win.

Maybe, but don't count on it, this will fire the team up and they will come out flying next game.

Or is firing oneself up when put down not a trait commonly found in Slavs?

We shall see.

Before I get called a racist, NOT!

Canada wanted it more, Russia had the talenet and speed.

Talent does not win games or cups. desire does.

is this supposed to be a poem?

Come on, I could at least understand had you said Kovalev or pointed at Samsonov in his days here. But the Kostitsyns play with fire all the time. Sergei isn't even unbelievably talented, and you don't go from the 7th round to the NHL in 2 years without desire. Since when has Plekanec been a player of pure talent with no desire? He's a two-way forward and one of the best defensive forwards on the team. Did you see him working his ass off on the PK last night? Like Sergei, Pleks is exceeding our original expectations (what we thought he'd become when he first made the team). He's just a bit overrated because he was playing with KovalevPlus last year.

All three guys you named are hard workers. Sergei actually plays with more grit and fire than the majority of our NA players and is probably more willing to fight than most of them as well. You ask not to be called a racist/prejudiced and then right after you blame a 7th round 21 year old hard-working rookie's slump on his heritage.

I'd've thought the Wings winning the Cup would have ended all of this.

Point taken, Even number 4 was no coach.....

Guy though, I believe in. He has been Gaineys understudy at every level of this game.

His system, though simple, seems to work. It is BG's system I believe, by the way.

The problem seems to be getting the players to buy into the fact that you have to give your all every shift, as if it was the dieing minutes of game 7 down by 1. Every shift has to work that hard, every battle on the boards must be one. Every check must be finished, passes must hit tape every time. PPs are for goal scoring, no dumb or retaliation penalties taken. Disciplined hockey! That is what is lacking, and the players must know it. How many of the current top coaches in the NHL did we fire?

He maybe injured, but the captain should address his team, it is up to the players to change their attitudes.

Don't just wear the shirt, be the shirt!!!

Those coaches were simply victims of the reconstruction process, and they just didn't have the ressources to be truly competitive. Still I think we played relatively well under them considering the skill level we had, and I think they got great results/efforts from those players.

Also if you're going to put all your faith in the head coach, and stick with him no matter what happens on the short term, you better make damn sure that coach is worthy. I'm not saying that Carbonneau is or isn't worthy of such trust, just that it's something to consider.

Finally if you feel that the team is not playing well, and not up to expectations, you can't constantly protect both the general manager AND the head coach by putting all the blame on the players. All the players in place were selected by the GM, and the head coach has the responsibility to get the most from that group. If there there are genuine problems within this team - in other words if this is not simply a bad stretch that the team is going through, and will learn from to get stronger - then at some point we'll have to wonder whether the problem are poor decisions from management and/or the coaching staff.

Last Night's Referee

According to the NHL Officials Association webpage, this was L'Ecuyer's 2nd time refereeing an NHL game - his first time was an October game last season. there are only 2 other guys with as little experience as L'Ecuyer - one guy just joined the union last year and has yet to ref a game, the other was hired the same day as L'Ecuyer and ran one game. Gotta love using the habs as guinea pigs for new refs!

Rather than pair him with a top veteran, they gave him this guy Brad Meier - a guy who has been reffing for 14 years and has run a total of 5 playoff games (6 years ago). He's among the elite "who's that" of the referee corps. Honestly - this guy has over 14 years of experience and 400+ games under his belt and I've never heard of him.

I'm curious as to whether there is a place I can go to see who called which penalty. If I can stand it, I'm going to go back and rewatch the game once it comes out on archive and see if the penalty calling was more influenced by a rookie's inexperience or a veteran's bumbling mediocrity.

I'm sure another line shuffle is in order.

http://habsinsideout.com/main/12690

your wish is Carbo's command.

The "Machine Gun" line is back today - AK46-Plex-AK27

In other news, Latendresse-Maxwell-Sergei form the "why not?" line

I guess the third group is the Tanguay-Lang-D'Agostini "lets put two guys who have actually been able to score with our offensive dynamo Free Agent" line?

Laraque skated on some fourth line combos today. It's not like he is the missing piece, but nice to see somebody get healthier rather for a change.