Roster without UFAs?

CerebusClone

They actually might. Factor:

1. The Economic Times

2. Them both aging - how many teams will be rushing to sign 35 year-old free agents ?

3. Teams will not have Cap Space for many $4 million signings.

4. Neither is having a really stellar year this year... Unfortunately.

All Koivu is worth is 3.5 IMO.

Kovy could sign for 5 million.

All Koivu is worth is 3.5 IMO.

Kovy could sign for 5 million.

I don't think I'd sign neither. I think its time to move foward.

It's sad but thats the nature of the beast. IMO it's time to youngsters like Komisarek, Hggins, Lapierre andGeorges to become the leaders of the club.

I don't think I'd sign neither. I think its time to move foward.

It's sad but thats the nature of the beast. IMO it's time to youngsters like Komisarek, Hggins, Lapierre andGeorges to become the leaders of the club.

I agree with your concept and thats why several years ago I said the Habs had to ditch Bulis, Zednik and Ribs. However now with the cap ditching Koivu &/or Kovy probably isnt necessarily the best idea. I've been saying this for a long time now that Bob seriously needs to start contract negotiations during the season. Depending on what either are willing to sign for should be the determining factor if they stay or go and he needs to know this before the trade deadline or they loose players who arent comming back for nothing.

I've also been saying this for several years now to and Bob really needs to start doing it: Anybody who wants to play for the Habs should be allowed. :P

Note: I dont mean the whack job Theodore poke checked either. I mean any good decent players who are willing to accept less than market value should be seriously considered especially if they are of French origin and even more so if they are actually from Quebec.

I fully understand why Gelinas isnt a habs right now because Bob had signed Kosto just a few days before Gelinas contacted him but theres actually no reason what so ever why JP Dumont isnt a habs right now. JP only wanted 2=2.5 mil/yr and he get 55+ pts/yr. Lang puts up similar #'s but he makes 4 mil, not to mention that if Habs had signed JP than theres the possibility that Grabs would still be around or Bob would have had enough cap space (1.5-2 mil more) to match other teams offers in the UFA bidding wars with players he really wanted, like Briere.

Seriously every team that is a true contender every year has multiple players who make way less than they would on the open market. Thats how to do it in a salary cap environment.

Next year the Habs can actually take full advantage of this because there will actually be multiple roster spots open which can be filled with players who are willing accept less than they are worth to make their childhood dream come true and play for their favourite team.

I beleive thats one of the primary reasons for the Sens destruction. The Sens are paying several players way more than they should make and it destroys the team. Look at TB same thing, paying 3 or 4 players half of the cap. The Laffs are almost the same thing only they were never as good and they paid shittier players elite player rates to players who absolutely loved playing in T.O. Why would anybody pay players who dont want to play anywhere else above market value. Its just dumb.

I fully understand why Gelinas isnt a habs right now because Bob had signed Kosto just a few days before Gelinas contacted him but theres actually no reason what so ever why JP Dumont isnt a habs right now.

As much as Dumont will tellhe wanted to come here, he didn't want to come play here. He just couldn't say it in the media. Fans could've been stupid towards him and his family.

Edited by marky_and_komi

marky_and_komi: Are you guessing or do you have some sort of inside information? If he announced openly that he wants to play for us, I think it's safe to say he was telling the truth. There's was no pressure on any other Quebec player for not mentioning Montreal. I don't see why you feel he had to say something, just to please the media. Unless you've heard something from him?

Unfortunately there won't be too many quality UFAs next summer, I'm talking about real offensive leaders on the ice, and not followersor "decent" players. We have plenty of depth and good players, we need guys who can make an impact, and help carry the team when we're in a bit of a slump.

My guess is that we can forget about Zetterberg, and the Sedin twins, they probably won't even enter the UFA market. We should stay away from Sundin if he's again wondering about his retirement. Niedermayer will probably retire again while Beauchemin should resign with Anaheim.

If we're lucky the best players available would be Marian Hossa, Martin Havalt (overrated in my opinion, and a bit of a gamble with his injury problems), and Jay Bouwmeester. Those are the guys who could help us, be part of this team for a few years, and are not too likely to become expendable because of young guys pushing in theit back (I'll be very happy if we have no room for either Hossa or Bouwmeester). If we want to push it there's maybe Erik Cole, we can always use a guy like that despite his struggles in Edmonton, but then again a guy like D'Agostini or Pacioretty will end up in Hamilton again.

As for the rest, Todd Bertuzzi is better off away from Montreal, Cammalleri is highly overrated and not the Carbonneau-type, I wouldn't take a risk with Johan Franzen who like everyone else is looking great in Detroit's system, Mattias Ohlund is not so good that I'd be willing to risk not giving some of the kids a chance, and the others have nothing to offer to the Canadiens.

In other words Bob Gainey may have to go through trades to acquire the type of player we need.

You didn't list Gaborik. That leaves Gaborik, Havlat and Hossa as offensive leaders that should be testing the market. Also, Detroit will be letting one of their forwards go - if Zetterberg wants 8+ million, he isn't going back there. Otherwise, Franzen will hit the market and I do think he can be a 30 or 40 goal scorer outside Detroit.

But Cole would probably be the best fit at forward, even if one of the above three replace Kovalev, they'd stilll be eating up a lot of capspace for a lot of time. I could see Cole going at 4 million a year and he'd be a great example for Higgins, Gui and Pacioretty (in the future - I'd imagine Cole'd be taking his spot).

On D, after re-signing Komisarek, I'd take a look at Ohlund. If he signs, let all of Bouillon, Dandenault and Brisebois go to open up some space for rookies. O'Byrne would be fighting to keep his spot against Emelin, Weber and Carle - whichever one makes the team would have a great mentor in Ohlund (or Hammer or Markov or Komi).

But - I'm not against bringing Kovalev back which would mean no signings.

marky_and_komi: Are you guessing or do you have some sort of inside information? If he announced openly that he wants to play for us, I think it's safe to say he was telling the truth. There's was no pressure on any other Quebec player for not mentioning Montreal. I don't see why you feel he had to say something, just to please the media. Unless you've heard something from him?

I agree and would also like to know why he said that. Definitely sounds like he knows something the rest of us doesnt. afaik the reason given for not signing Dumont was Bob preferred to give a roster spot to a prospect who wasnt NHL proven and who never came close to matching JP stats and that wanted 1 mil more than JP which isnt a reason at all. :blink:

Not to mention Perezhogin isnt even in the NHL right now. :puke:

Even A.Kosts hasnt matched JP stats and he makes more than what JP would have accepted. Its impossible to name a UFA who is a 30 G guy that would sign for less than 3 mil.

I've also been saying this for several years now to and Bob really needs to start doing it: Anybody who wants to play for the Habs should be allowed. :P

Note: I dont mean the whack job Theodore poke checked either. I mean any good decent players who are willing to accept less than market value should be seriously considered especially if they are of French origin and even more so if they are actually from Quebec.

If that was me theodore wouldve been looking for his jockstrap...man that guy was awful LMAO :lol: