Discussion: The Defence Dilemma

dlbalr

We've decided to try something new for the site. Rather than having people just e-mail the writers at the end of an article, we're now going to open (for selected articles) a thread for forum members to discuss, comment on, and/or ask questions about a specific article.

I'd like to thank BTH (who makes his HW writing debut with this article) for allowing his article to be the first to have a thread like this, and congratulate him on a job well done.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1735 (Part 1)

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1736 (Part 2)

I look forward to Thursday's article, as I personally don't have any confidence that a short term fix is currently in the Habs organization and I want to see who BTH has dug up as potential outside candidates. Anyone disagree?

I'm all for bringing up Yannick Weber. I know he isnt NHL ready at the start, he will make mistakes. But i just think about how it went with Mark Streit. He wasnt ready immediate, but they gave him the chance to develop. I feel Weber has the same strenghts Streit has.

Offcourse he will make some defence mistakes, Streit had a lot of them. But Weber is a great passer, and has what this team lacks the most at this moment. A great shot from the point..

I know it wont happen, but i thought it would be a good thing...

I'd say let Weber develope at least one more year in the AHL.

Take Diago for example, or Laps. Most of the time, if a player plays in the AHL a couple of years, it will him a better NHLer.

I think the best option would be through trade. We need stability going into the playoffs. Our youth bit us in the ass last year, and could again this year. I don't know who would fit this mold, but I don't think it needs to be a top ranked 1 or 2 D man.

I think the best option would be through trade. We need stability going into the playoffs. Our youth bit us in the ass last year, and could again this year. I don't know who would fit this mold, but I don't think it needs to be a top ranked 1 or 2 D man.

You make a good point about youth being a dodgy proposition in the playoffs. People around here tend to be WAAAY too sanguine about young players in general; and even blue-chip young players seldom deliver in their first postseason experience. Conversely, it's worth recalling that Patrice Brisebois was one of our best defencemen in the playoffs last year. These past-their-prime veterans often seem to raise their game in the postseason (c.f. Smolinski's valuable contributions last year as well) and can be relied on for at least one excellent playoff round. I don't know whether that affects our calculations regarding the necessity of acquiring another defender, but it might be worth keeping in mind. I certainly agree, though, that rookies from Hamilton will NOT be the answer, at least not for the playoffs.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I've thought that from the looks of things, BG should bring in another d-man. His salary not withstanding, a player along the likes of a Mathieu Schneider would sure look good on the Habs 2nd pairing a top PP unit. I'm sure he hates Atlanta and they would send him over for a prospect.

Then the Habs D would look like:

Markov Komisarek

Hamrlik Schneider

Gorges Brisebois/Dandeneault/Bouillon

O'byrne send down and ideally Bouillon shipped off elsewhere.

Looks good to me. Another solid d-man who has a blast from the point to help out the PP.

I've thought that from the looks of things, BG should bring in another d-man. His salary not withstanding, a player along the likes of a Mathieu Schneider would sure look good on the Habs 2nd pairing a top PP unit. I'm sure he hates Atlanta and they would send him over for a prospect.

Markov Komisarek

Hamrlik Schneider

Looks good to me. Another solid d-man who has a blast from the point to help out the PP.

All good in theory, but there still wouldn't be enough cap space - at least, not until near the deadline (then it'd work...barely).

Markov Komisarek

Hamrlik Schneider

I thought of Schneider but didn't bother to mention him because we passed on him when he was on waivers.

Anyone know what Schneider's salary is? If i remember it was around $6 million, thus send down O'byrne and ship off Bouillon and it's like $3 million coming back. That doesn't seem to bad prorated.

His salary is $5.75 mil, but his cap hit is a little lower at $5.625 M.

As of December 25th, Schneider is due to receive $3,296,370.97 in salary. O'Byrne and Bouillon combine for $1,650,627.24, a difference of $1,645,743.73.

If you'll refer to my Cap FAQ thread stickied at the top of this forum, you'll see that the Habs projected cap space is just $988,896.78. The difference here is $656,846.95 (this is how much the Habs would be over the cap if a deal like that were to be made tomorrow - it obviously can't happen tomorrow, but you get the point.) Now, when Maxwell gets sent down, it'll open up about $450,000 (depending on when he gets sent down + when he becomes ineligible for further bonuses as that leads to retroactively changing his daily cap hit (hopefully I haven't lost anyone yet)), but that means they'd still be over. As the year progresses, the gap will become less and less.

His salary is $5.75 mil, but his cap hit is a little lower at $5.625 M.

As of December 25th, Schneider is due to receive $3,296,370.97 in salary. O'Byrne and Bouillon combine for $1,650,627.24, a difference of $1,645,743.73.

If you'll refer to my Cap FAQ thread stickied at the top of this forum, you'll see that the Habs projected cap space is just $988,896.78. The difference here is $656,846.95 (this is how much the Habs would be over the cap if a deal like that were to be made tomorrow - it obviously can't happen tomorrow, but you get the point.) Now, when Maxwell gets sent down, it'll open up about $450,000 (depending on when he gets sent down + when he becomes ineligible for further bonuses as that leads to retroactively changing his daily cap hit (hopefully I haven't lost anyone yet)), but that means they'd still be over. As the year progresses, the gap will become less and less.

Thanks. Appreciate the feedback.