Chipchura and Pacioretty called up...

Fanpuck33

Always good to see young guys getting a crack. The key is apparently the ongoing inury to Laraque (damn those groin pulls!!) which puts him on IR and leads to an open spot. But I'm not sure why we've called up TWO guys to replace one.

http://habsinsideout.com/main/13029

Not too keen on Sergei Kostytsin on the 4th line, either - never a good way to get a skilled young player on track. (I always remember Julien keeping Higgins on the 4th line and Komisarek on the third pairing - probably the two biggest reasons for his firing).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Always good to see young guys getting a crack, but what's the specific logic behind this call-up? Who is sitting? Anyone got any insights?

Reports suggest neither will play tonight (Pacioretty is there in case Kostitsyn can't go - although he is expected to play), and Maxwell will eventually be replaced by Chipchura. Considering Chippy hasn't played in nearly 3 weeks and just got the green light to skate yesterday, I think he'll skate for a couple of days with the team before he sees action. Maxwell should be in there tonight though.

Reports suggest neither will play tonight (Pacioretty is there in case Kostitsyn can't go - although he is expected to play), and Maxwell will eventually be replaced by Chipchura. Considering Chippy hasn't played in nearly 3 weeks and just got the green light to skate yesterday, I think he'll skate for a couple of days with the team before he sees action. Maxwell should be in there tonight though.

Sorry, i revised my post after checking habs Inside Out. :lol: As I say in the edited post above, it's the injury to Laraque that created the roster space. You're probably right to imply that Chips's arrival spells a much-deserved demotion to Maxwell, who hasn't looked like an NHLer on this particular go-around.

Chipchura and Pacioretty are unlikely to get a plane in time to be ready for tonight's game, but Andrei is playing tonight and Maxwell will still be dressed for tonight's game before probably being demoted in lieu of Chipchura. Pacioretty is around as a just in case... the team only has 12 forwards currently with Laraque going on IR, and Chipchura replacing Maxwell doesn't alleviate that. There are 3 games in 4 nights here before the New Year, so MaxPac is getting the Chipchura treatment to start the year... remember, Chips was around for the opening road trip which was 3 games in 4 nights as the 13th forward and didn't play before being sent down. It's good to have the extra body in case someone can't go. The team has decided MaxPac will be that guy and not Maxwell for some reason.

Edited by saskhab

Chipchura and Pacioretty are unlikely to get a plane in time to be ready for tonight's game, but Andrei is playing tonight and Maxwell will still be dressed for tonight's game before probably being demoted in lieu of Chipchura. Pacioretty is around as a just in case... the team only has 12 forwards currently with Laraque going on IR, and Chipchura replacing Maxwell doesn't alleviate that. There are 3 games in 4 nights here before the New Year, so MaxPac is getting the Chipchura treatment to start the year... remember, Chips was around for the opening road trip which was 3 games in 4 nights as the 13th forward and didn't play before being sent down. It's good to have the extra body in case someone can't go. The team has decided MaxPac will be that guy and not Maxwell for some reason.

From HabsInsideOut:

The Canadiens called up Kyle Chipchura and Max Pacioretty from Hamilton as insurance but neither arrived in time for the morning skate and Carbonneau said it was very unlikely that either would play tonight against the Penguins. Carbonneau said no decision had been made on whether the players would accompany the team to Florida but, with Laraque heading home, the Canadiens will probably need at least one extra forward.

I think they made it to Pittsburgh, but won't play. (Neither played yesterday for Hamilton in their 2-1 loss - in fact, they dressed one player short of the max...) Maxwell got his exposure to the NHL life, I see no real issues with Pacioretty getting a chance to skate with the team. The coaches can get a feel for his development and send him down after getting a game or two possibly. Could be worse...

If Chips is ready to go or will be ready pretty soon, he should replace Maxwell, who looks a little out of place with the Habs. Struggles in his defensive zone.

Would love to see Pax in the lineup soon, but that will be hard to say.

Do not understand the Chipchura call up. He hasn't played in 3 weeks, should he not get some good conditioning back in Hamilton for couple games before jumping to NHL?

Max should definitely be the first to get the call in this situation, although Chipchura is the better player IMO and more deserving - his injury recovery should be in Hamilton first.

Do not understand the Chipchura call up. He hasn't played in 3 weeks, should he not get some good conditioning back in Hamilton for couple games before jumping to NHL?

Max should definitely be the first to get the call in this situation, although Chipchura is the better player IMO and more deserving - his injury recovery should be in Hamilton first.

And thats where he get it too. they were both sent down tonite.

Well, I guess I've been missing something with Maxwell...the RDS guys last night couldn't say enough good things about him. Apparently Carbo lights up when his name is mentioned, and there's serious talk that he's shunting Chipchura out of the organization. I'll have to pay closer attention; he must be doing lots of "little things" right, because he sure ain't doing anything big!

This was a weird move all the way.

The call up and sent down of these two was a mess.

First the Dogs had to play three games and these two guy were in game shape.

Second the need was for a depth winger. Laraque being the injured.

If Andrei would have been hurt against Pens, Sergei would have take his place.

Maxwell still being in the line up the need was for a 4th line checker grinder.

And it kinda messed with the head of MaxPac that i am more concerned, hey kid we

give you a call no we don't, this trip in Florida would have been great hey !! but if some

forward get hurt you will may get a call if nobody from the walking wounded are in game shape.

Yeah, sending both of them back down was kinda weird. I can understand with Max Pac, since they possibly needed him, but once they didn't they decided to put him back where he'd get ice time. Chipchura, though, I don't understand. Why not just keep him up as the spare forward for a bit? It's not going to hurt him any to keep him in the pressbox for a couple weeks, he'd at least be practicing with NHLers. Didn't make a lot of sense to send him down and leave the team with no spare forwards.

To me it wasn't weird, cause they were up as an emergency in case AKostits couldn't go and to keep them up would eat into the salary cap. Once the Habs knew AK was healthy then the 2 got sent back down. Nothing out of the ordinary, even though many of us wanted to see MaxPax.

To me it wasn't weird, cause they were up as an emergency in case AKostits couldn't go and to keep them up would eat into the salary cap. Once the Habs knew AK was healthy then the 2 got sent back down. Nothing out of the ordinary, even though many of us wanted to see MaxPax.

Right, but to call up both of them for only the one potentially open spot?

Right, but to call up both of them for only the one potentially open spot?

I'm guessing that there might have been another habs forward iffy for the game, just not publicized. Just a thought possibly or maybe they wanted those two to have a practice with the Big club.

he must be doing lots of "little things" right, because he sure ain't doing anything big!

Agreed. Most analysts agree to say that Maxwell is simply not ready for the NHL right now.

So, will they bring Chips up and bump Lats/Sergei into Tanguay's spot, or will they callup Max Pac and put him there? Personally, I say call them both up. Slide Chips into Maxwell's spot and let Max play on his wing, with Sergei bumped into Tanguay's spot. I would suggest moving Lats there, but that line is playing well right now, no need to mess with it.

So, will they bring Chips up and bump Lats/Sergei into Tanguay's spot, or will they callup Max Pac and put him there? Personally, I say call them both up. Slide Chips into Maxwell's spot and let Max play on his wing, with Sergei bumped into Tanguay's spot. I would suggest moving Lats there, but that line is playing well right now, no need to mess with it.

Your wish is Carbo and Gaineys command as long as the do not put Weber in as the 12th forward.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't want to create another topic so i took this call up called down to speculate on

who is going down next while almost everybody's up.

With the big team

D'Agostini

Pacioretty

Chipchura

Stewart

Weber

Next regulars to come back/ Domino effect

Koivu/ Chipchura down ?? Who plays with Saku ?? Bégin No D'Ago maybe...

Laraque / Stewart too bad i hope Stewart get's the two next games, for a mind making decision.

Higgins / D'Agostini down until Higgins grows trade value

Tanguay /Pacioretty, love his attitude but no blind pass learning to do.

Weber well i dunno, let's wait for a trade for a D.

But the most difficult thing to do will be to break lines to insert Koivu.

My guess is D'agostini-Koivu-Andrei Kost but it would be bad to break Lang's lines, the brother show

their better stuff together.

I didn't want to create another topic so i took this call up called down to speculate on

who is going down next while almost everybody's up.

With the big team

D'Agostini

Pacioretty

Chipchura

Stewart

Weber

Next regulars to come back/ Domino effect

Koivu/ Chipchura down ?? Who plays with Saku ?? Bégin No D'Ago maybe...

Laraque / Stewart too bad i hope Stewart get's the two next games, for a mind making decision.

Higgins / D'Agostini down until Higgins grows trade value

Tanguay /Pacioretty, love his attitude but no blind pass learning to do.

My guess is D'agostini-Koivu-Andrei Kost but it would be bad to break Lang's lines, the brother show

I know, I've been thinking about that too. All the lines have great chemistry right now. So do you break up your most productive line 5 on 5? Lang has been great and there is chemistry with the brothers. I think the two lines which shouldn't be messed with right now are Lang and brothers, and Laps, Lats, TK. I think Koivu could play with Dags and Kovalev. Plek with Maxpac and begin. This would balance defensive weakness of Dags and especially Maxpac. Koivu and Kovy have never really found a lot of chemistry though.

I believe that Weber was sent back down on the 14th.

Here is what I would consider once everyone is back:

Tanguay-Plekanec-Kovalev

AKostitsyn-Lang-SKostitsyn

Higgins-Koivu-Latendresse

Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Laraque

Begin and Dandenault become the spare forwards. I hate to break up the Lapierre line, but that just creates other problems. That line has done too well to make it a 4th line, but if you keep it together, they'll end up with Koivu and Higgins/Tanguay on the 4th line. I think it's better to split the line up. Pacioretty and D'Agostini go back to Hamilton, because sitting in the pressbox as spares won't help young players like them improve their game.

Here is what I would consider once everyone is back:

Tanguay-Plekanec-Kovalev

AKostitsyn-Lang-SKostitsyn

Higgins-Koivu-Latendresse

Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Laraque

Begin and Dandenault become the spare forwards. I hate to break up the Lapierre line, but that just creates other problems. That line has done too well to make it a 4th line, but if you keep it together, they'll end up with Koivu and Higgins/Tanguay on the 4th line. I think it's better to split the line up. Pacioretty and D'Agostini go back to Hamilton, because sitting in the pressbox as spares won't help young players like them improve their game.

I would like to keep Tanguay with Koivu. They were very good together. This looks like a good balanced lineup. Hopefully Laraque doesn't throw a turd in the soup as far as the fourth lines are concerned. The current 3rd line is a pretty good shutdown line.

Keep the top 3 lines as is. Break Saku and Higgins in with D'Ago. Begin gets benched, unfortunately. Chips and Stewart go back to the AHL. Ease Saku and Higgins back in with increasingly more minutes as the games see fit.

Tanguay is out for a while, and Dandy isn't that close to returning. Laraque is closer, but he's a spare part.

Immediate concern: Koivu and Higgins return. The rest will sort itself out. But Higgins and Koivu are a natural pair, so it makes things easier. After that, it's between Pacioretty and D'Ago as to who sticks when Tanguay is healthy. Will MaxPac still be flying high with Kovy and Plex at that point, or has D'Ago regained his form alongside Saku? Insert Tangs onto the line the losing rookie vacates.

Post All-Star break, here's your lines:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Kovalev

A Kost - Lang - S Kost

Higgins - Koivu - D'Ago

Latendresse - Lapierre - Kostopolous

Order them however you like. Koivu's unit sees the PP time Lapierre's line had gotten.