Helmet rules must be debated, team president says after hockey player dies

rafikz

was only a matter of time, if you have two guys on ice skates punching one another without helmets, eventually one will fall and hit his unprotected head on the ice with enough force to die. now it happened, and experts will talk and talk about how to prevent it happening...

Here's an idea: combine a hockey helmet and a boxing helmet. Remove the padding from a hockey helmet and replace it with a modified boxing helmet that takes the shape of the hockey helmet. Make the strap part of the padding and make it so the helmet actually stays on. Connect the outer hockey helmet and the boxing padding with velcro. Basically, it would not be much different from current helmets, except there's two parts.

Even on a big hit, the hard part might come off just like a loose helmet, but the padding would stay on. And when you fight, you yank off the hard part. Nobody breaks their hands on a helmet and you're protected when falling.

They should also "ban" the act of when the fight is almost over (ie the 2 guys are tied up) and one guy picks the other off his skates to get the "takedown" [where they try to drive the guy into the ice] IMO that's more dangerous then losing a helmet during a fight.

So much for the fighters "code"............

They should also "ban" the act of when the fight is almost over (ie the 2 guys are tied up) and one guy picks the other off his skates to get the "takedown" [where they try to drive the guy into the ice] IMO that's more dangerous then losing a helmet during a fight.

So much for the fighters "code"............

But Lapierre couldn't "win" a fight anymore :lol:

Here's an idea: combine a hockey helmet and a boxing helmet. Remove the padding from a hockey helmet and replace it with a modified boxing helmet that takes the shape of the hockey helmet. Make the strap part of the padding and make it so the helmet actually stays on. Connect the outer hockey helmet and the boxing padding with velcro. Basically, it would not be much different from current helmets, except there's two parts.

Even on a big hit, the hard part might come off just like a loose helmet, but the padding would stay on. And when you fight, you yank off the hard part. Nobody breaks their hands on a helmet and you're protected when falling.

Or combine hockey gauntlets with boxing gloves . . .

Or separate the two sports?

I'm angry because it's a stupid way to die.

Hte guy was only 21....

Ah, I see. I thought your anger had something to do with the talk about rules concering helmets.

21 is certainly waaaaaaaaaaaaay too young. :(

It was good to see Kostopoulos and Clarkson keep their helmets on during their long fight in tonight's game.

What fight?

I'm still wondering how Kosto found a way to stay alive

What fight?

I'm still wondering how Kosto found a way to stay alive

Yeah, he loses every fight, but gotta give him some for going at it every time knowing he'll lose.

I remember argueing with someone on here about this a while back.

I said the players should keep their straps tighter because someone will get hurt, and they argued that nobody has gotten hurt from not having a helmet on. Well, there's a first for everything...

BTW, anyone remember Flinn vs Vandermeer?