Kostopoulos Appreciation Thread

Helmethead

I've been holding back from creating an Appreciation Thread for Kostopoulos since the fact that I'm Greek kind makes it seem that I'm just supporting him for ethnicity reasons, however after last night "performance" I just had to.

If our "talented" players had half the courage and determination he has they would be leading the league in scoring. I am convinced that his "no guts, no glory" approach to hockey is the single most determining factor in the increase of production from both Lapierre and Latendresse. Since they have been on the same line, they both seem to have transformed.

Someone by the name of krob1000 posted this on Habs I/O. I think he's spot on with what he says:

Kosto is like an old time warrior......I mean like Braveheart type of warrior....he would run full tilt into a thousand men for his team. This year and during the playoffs he is even playing some decent hockey to boot. Don't hang your head but instead see it for what it is....it is not a fight ...it's like when a guy stands up to a bully who is picking on his friends...he may lose but that's not the point. Every time I see Kosto drop the gloves that is how I view it....I don't even care and neither does he...he rarely even tries to throw a punch....he just lets it be known that he is there for the guys....always.....and Bouillon is the same...but he has deceptive strength and wins some. Kosto is the bravest SOB I have seen in a Habs jersey in a long time.

UNQUOTE

The intangibles that Tom bring to the Habs cannot be overlooked. These are the type of players u need if u have any aspirations for Cup contention. Although he gets his a$$ wooped 9 times out of 10, he never ever flinches. As many times as they toss him around like a rag doll, he still wipes himself of the ice and comes back for more. Not only does he stick up for his teammates on the ice - he also sticks up for them off of it. Need I remind you that he was the one that came to O'Byrne's resuce during the whole purse snatching ordeal....

Tom, in case ur read this, I want you to know that if we have a boy (my wife is pregnant!) your going to be the player I'm going to try to get him to emulate.... :rolleyes:

Yep, he was a great addition, players like him and Begin are hard to find. Hard work and physical play is always nice to see. I like it when he steps up to fight players, unfortunately he normally gets destroyed in the fight.

I am convinced that his "no guts, no glory" approach to hockey is the single most determining factor in the increase of production from both Lapierre and Latendresse. Since they have been on the same line, they both seem to have transformed.

Agreed! Tommy K. is having an incredible year. true that he gets his ass kicked almost everytime he fights, but at least he's there to stand up for his team mates! Tommy's crash and bang style has definitely helped out Laps and Lats, and that might just get Tommy another contract offer from Bob Gainey after the season is over!

He would be one of my firsts signing if I were BG.

Maybe if he accepts a possible reserve role, and a salary for a million or less. Next season we'll have Lapierre, Chipchura, Stewart, and Laraque already filling depth player roles (3rd and 4th lines, as well as reserves), and I hope we don't get stuck again with another Dandeneault that the organization feels obligated to play regularly even though that might do more harm than good.

If I just put together this somewhat probable lineup (don't pay attention to the lines), that doesn't leave much room for a guaranteed spot in the lineup:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-(Vet winger)

A.Kostsitsyn-(vet centre)-Latendresse

Higgins-Chipchura-S.Kostsitsyn

Stewart-Lapierre-D'Agostini

But if he accepts maybe 2 millions for 2 years, and the fact that he may not play regularly when some of the kids are doing well, then for sure Kostopoulos would be welcomed back. However if he starts making demands, then we should look elsewhere.

Just read on Cyberpresse.ca that according to François Gagnon, Kostopoulos isn't, at practise today. Apprently he hurt his ankle when he fell in the 3rd period of last night's game!

I don't see a lot of reason to guarantee that Stewart will make next year's team, Cerebus. He made a great first impression but hasn't done a lot since then. He'd pass through waivers easily (unlike D'Ago, O'Byrne or Chip)... he reminds of Ferland. I hope he makes it, but if he does, I assume he'll be a reserve player that we'd have no trouble with a 29/30 year old Kostopolous playing ahead of.

I don't see a lot of reason to guarantee that Stewart will make next year's team, Cerebus. He made a great first impression but hasn't done a lot since then. He'd pass through waivers easily (unlike D'Ago, O'Byrne or Chip)... he reminds of Ferland. I hope he makes it, but if he does, I assume he'll be a reserve player that we'd have no trouble with a 29/30 year old Kostopolous playing ahead of.

Agreed! I'd even go as far as saying that Chipchura's case isn't set in stone just yet. We all know that Chpchura and Lapierre have been "fighting" for the same position, and the way that Lapierre has been playing over the past 2 months, just hasn,t left any room for Chipchura on this roster. He's in Montreal because of the injuries to koivu, Tanguay, Laraque, Higgins...

If it wasn't for these injuries, Chipchura would still be in Hamilton!

Agreed! I'd even go as far as saying that Chipchura's case isn't set in stone just yet. We all know that Chpchura and Lapierre have been "fighting" for the same position, and the way that Lapierre has been playing over the past 2 months, just hasn,t left any room for Chipchura on this roster. He's in Montreal because of the injuries to koivu, Tanguay, Laraque, Higgins...

If it wasn't for these injuries, Chipchura would still be in Hamilton!

I think it's more Lang who could be stealing Chipchura's job. The longer we've had him, the better the idea of bringing him back seems. Chips should make it next year either way though, even if he needs to be a winger or reserve player.

Yeah, I'd resign Kosto, seeing as we probably won't keep Begin. He's definitely a guy you love to have on your team.

As much as I like Bégin, if I had to pick between him and Tommy K, I think it would be a gut renching decision, but I'd have to go with Tommy K! Mostly because he's younger and not as injury prone!

Maybe if he accepts a possible reserve role, and a salary for a million or less. Next season we'll have Lapierre, Chipchura, Stewart, and Laraque already filling depth player roles (3rd and 4th lines, as well as reserves), and I hope we don't get stuck again with another Dandeneault that the organization feels obligated to play regularly even though that might do more harm than good.

If I just put together this somewhat probable lineup (don't pay attention to the lines), that doesn't leave much room for a guaranteed spot in the lineup:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-(Vet winger)

A.Kostsitsyn-(vet centre)-Latendresse

Higgins-Chipchura-S.Kostsitsyn

Stewart-Lapierre-D'Agostini

But if he accepts maybe 2 millions for 2 years, and the fact that he may not play regularly when some of the kids are doing well, then for sure Kostopoulos would be welcomed back. However if he starts making demands, then we should look elsewhere.

kostopolous makes 900k now and I really don't see him getting a raise 900 is pretty good for a guy of his skill level

I think it's more Lang who could be stealing Chipchura's job. The longer we've had him, the better the idea of bringing him back seems. Chips should make it next year either way though, even if he needs to be a winger or reserve player.

I could easily see Chipchura playing on the same line as Lapierre.

I have to say tom the bomb i have a soft spot for when it comes to the habs...he is always so hard working and gives it his all every shift. And not to mention that philadelphia game 1 OT winner that i was there live for and will never forget :clap: :clap: :clap: