George Laraque's blog

rafikz

That's an amazing read and an insightful defence of fighting in hockey. This part in particular rings absolutely true to me:

Fighting has changed a lot over the years. A lot of guys are lucky they weren't in the league 15 years ago. In those days, everyone was tough, everyone fought, and everyone was held accountable. Now, there's no policing, players are getting slashed in the face, guys are getting elbowed and hit in the head, and more and more guys are getting hit from behind.

Speaking of which, it's a real joke now how guys are turning their back to checks. For a physical player, it makes the job harder because you always have to be ready to stop in case the player turns his back to you. It's a joke how some players turn around at the last moment to draw a penalty. In the past, nobody turned and if you did, too bad. But hitting from behind wasn't a problem then. Guys were always ready, so there's simple way to fix it by taking away the instigator rule. Let's do an experiment and take it out for a year and see how many fewer cheap shots we would see.

Couldn't agree more. Insitgator rule comes second only to the foot-in-the-crease rule as Stupidest Rule in Modern Hockey history. Dumb-asses!

Very analytical, well-reasoned and professional write, Georges seems like a good guy.

Problem is, an NHL fighter ought to be a bastard with a screw loose and blood in his eye.

One of the best stories that I will never forget is when the Oilers won the Stanley Cup in 1990 and the first guy Mark Messier gave the Cup to was Dave Brown, even though he hadn't played one playoff game. But all season long Brown made sure guys like Mark had all the room they needed, and trust me they did.

No wonder. In 87 Brown nearly decapitated Tomas Sandstrom with a cross-check to the face. Crazy bastard.

I can't complain too much since I'm 6-foot-3, 260 pounds

Must have been invited to lots of BBQ's this past summer.

And also the tougher you are, the less you have to fight. Do you think you would ever see one of the toughest fighters in the NHL at the end of a season with 25 fights? No chance; teams respect you even more and leave you alone.

So if you're a big fan of fighting and you have one of those guys, well, sorry buddy but your guy is just too tough so you won't see many fights!

[...]

Ask the guys who do the job, who actually fight and know their stuff. Not some know-it-all couch potato guy, frustrated about life who just likes criticizing everything and especially tough guys.

I think BGL wrote that just for shbatt.

I think BGL wrote that just for sbhatt.

If that's what George has to tell himself over and over to feel like he earned his paycheck... :rolleyes:

I've watched plenty of enforcers over the years, and very few are as easy to persuade to skate away as Laraque. At least the good ones.

As far as the 'couch potato' part, I'm 245lbs with a 19inch arm...if George had hit the gym as often as I did over the past offseason, maybe he'd actually be in the lineup on a regular basis. I said it the other day to a buddy, and I'll stand by it: so far, Laraque is a waste of money approaching Samsonovian proportions.

If that's what George has to tell himself over and over to feel like he earned his paycheck... :rolleyes:

I've watched plenty of enforcers over the years, and very few are as easy to persuade to skate away as Laraque. At least the good ones.

As far as the 'couch potato' part, I'm 245lbs with a 19inch arm...if George had hit the gym as often as I did over the past offseason, maybe he'd actually be in the lineup on a regular basis. I said it the other day to a buddy, and I'll stand by it: so far, Laraque is a waste of money approaching Samsonovian proportions.

Note to self: dont forget to add smiley faces at the end of jokes.

If we want to get real specific about it, 245 lbs with 19 inches arm means little in itself. I know an obese guy who's over 300 lbs and has arms the size of my tighs. Doesnt mean he'd be in shape to play in the NHL. Waiste-to-height ratio, VO² max or body fat % is much more telling of overall health. Serves little to be heavy and have huge arms if you can't run 25 m without getting blown up.

Note to self: dont forget to add smiley faces at the end of jokes.

If we want to get real specific about it, 245 lbs with 19 inches arm means little in itself. I know an obese guy who's over 300 lbs and has arms the size of my tighs. Doesnt mean he'd be in shape to play in the NHL. Waiste-to-height ratio, VO² max or body fat % is much more telling of overall health. Serves little to be heavy and have huge arms if you can't run 25 m without getting blown up.

And where is BGL? sitting on his fat out of shape ass writing blogs for sportsnet.ca!!!! What a waste of money

You guys are rude to BGL. Not so much Sbhatt because he gave an opinion, but KO4L3V, give him a chance.

He's played hurt since training camp. The coaching staff wants him 100%.

And I know 260 is much, but the good fighters aren't 210.

sadly bgl may be at the end of his career. If it is a groin injury they can be hard to fix, (see dominator) I really like georges but he hasn't worked out for us due to injury. When you get older and are as big as he is you have to be in great shape and not have a first name relationship with the kid at Mcdonald's. lol. He has only dressed for 17 games and has 29 pim That does not seem like 1.5 million worth. He is only 32 but that can be old for a fighter especially if he is not in shape. I hope he gets healthy and can come back and at least kick lucic's ass for us.That might be worth 1.5 mill :lol:

sadly bgl may be at the end of his career. If it is a groin injury they can be hard to fix, (see dominator) I really like georges but he hasn't worked out for us due to injury. When you get older and are as big as he is you have to be in great shape and not have a first name relationship with the kid at Mcdonald's. lol. He has only dressed for 17 games and has 29 pim That does not seem like 1.5 million worth. He is only 32 but that can be old for a fighter especially if he is not in shape. I hope he gets healthy and can come back and at least kick lucic's ass for us.That might be worth 1.5 mill :lol:

Now that i'd love to see :lol: